Muslim threats force out disabled teacher with dog

You have almost (accidently, I am sure) hit on why your analysis is wrong if it is meant to suggest that Islam is a violent/intolerant religion.

Three steps.

First, if you wanted to know if Muslims commit more terrorist/violent/intolerant (use whatever qualifier you wish) acts, it is irrelevant how many millions of individuals one could classify by this metric. It is only the percentage that would matter. For example, if 1% of the population of China advocated terrorist activities, that would be 13 million people, which certainly sounds bad, but it is still the overwhelming minority of Chinese. Raw numbers are irrelevant to ascribing characteristics to whole groups of people.

Second, merely because some percentage of Muslim people advocate A doesn't mean that it is because they are Muslim. One would have to look at all the other attributes that they share and perform a regression analysis (assuming you could even identify the other variables) to determine whether Islam was truly a motivating factor for their actions, or merely an accompanying factor to that portion of the population.

Third, even if some percentage do advocate activity A due to their interpretation of their religion, this group may still represent a small proportion of the overall group and their interpretation could be in the very small minority. In such an event, it would be silly to accept their interpretation as defining the religion as opposed to the majority interpretation.
I've never said the majority of Muslims are intolerant. I've said it is an intolerant religion. I base that on the Koran.
And yes, I know that the extremists are a minority. But even as a minority their numbers are staggering.
Hear that Larkinn? I'm not responding to your post specificially because it's idiotic drivel and you're attempting to make connections which don't exist. Remember what I said about the voices....

I've never said the majority of Muslims are intolerant. I've said it is an intolerant religion. I base that on the Koran.
And yes, I know that the extremists are a minority. But even as a minority their numbers are staggering.
Hear that Larkinn? I'm not responding to your post specificially because it's idiotic drivel and you're attempting to make connections which don't exist. Remember what I said about the voices....

There are parts of the Koran that may appear intolerant to modern views, but were not considered intolerant at the time. The same is true of the Old Testament (and maybe the New Testament as well, but I don't know it apart from the gospels). Yet we have no problems acknowledging that religious belief develops and evolves regardless of the founding texts. Why should Islam be any different? It is practiced differently in Tanzania and Indonesia than it is practiced in Saudi Arabia; and within each country, individual believers and groups practice it differently as well. Why does one interpretation or practice define the entire faith? I don't think Jews are particularly intolerant just because parts of the Torah may be.

They are certainly NOT in the millions as you claimed.

Your not going to respond when you get caught in a lie? What a surprise. I'm shocked really.

From the wikipedia article:
"However, outside their ritual uncleanness, Islamic fatwas, or rulings, enjoin that dogs be treated kindly or else be freed."

"According to one story, Muhammad is said to have informed a prostitute who had seen a thirsty dog hanging about a well and given it water to drink that all her sins were forgiven."

"The historian Montgomery Watt states that Muhammad's kindness to animals was remarkable for the social context of his upbringing. He cites an instance of Muhammed posting sentries to ensure that a female dog with newborn puppies was not disturbed by his army traveling to Mecca in the year 630"

"The historian Montgomery Watt states that Muhammad's kindness to animals was remarkable for the social context of his upbringing. He cites an instance of Muhammed posting sentries to ensure that a female dog with newborn puppies was not disturbed by his army traveling to Mecca in the year 630"

That seems excessive - extremist even.

I think Allie just said the majority of Muslims aren't religious. Otherwise, if their religion was intolerant as she claims, then the majority of them would be intolerant as well. But she claims they aren't.

Does anyone else get dizzy trying to follow Allie's logic?

See my post above for more quotes from the same article.
LOL. You say friend is not a good Muslim because she had dog for a pet. She was good enough to qualify as a teacher in a Muslim school. Has it ever occurred to you that Not all good Muslims interpret the Koran literally, just as many good Christians do not interpret the Bible literally? Both books are full of contradictions. The Koran says dogs are unclean yet the Koran says dogs are to be treated kindly. Which is it? You can find anything you like in the Koran or the Bible to support any argument you wish and you can also find support for counter arguments.

Frightened people are often stupid people. It's the same with horses. If they're scared, it's because they just don't know what's going on, and make up all sorts of weird things in their little pea brains.

Whoa there, nelly....here's a sugar cube. You'll be okay after a few circles and fresh air.

Horses are smarter than some people think.

There are parts of the Koran that may appear intolerant to modern views, but were not considered intolerant at the time. The same is true of the Old Testament (and maybe the New Testament as well, but I don't know it apart from the gospels). Yet we have no problems acknowledging that religious belief develops and evolves regardless of the founding texts. Why should Islam be any different? It is practiced differently in Tanzania and Indonesia than it is practiced in Saudi Arabia; and within each country, individual believers and groups practice it differently as well. Why does one interpretation or practice define the entire faith? I don't think Jews are particularly intolerant just because parts of the Torah may be.
Doesn't the Bible contain parts of the Torah? And the Koran contain most of the Bible, New and Old Testament? It's all the same stuff, basically.

Doesn't the Bible contain parts of the Torah? And the Koran contain most of the Bible, New and Old Testament? It's all the same stuff, basically.

Yeah, but I thought lots of Christians believe that the New Testament got rid of the worst parts (however they see "worst parts") of the Old Testament, so since I don't really understand fully what Christians believe (does the OT count for anything?), I just focused on the Torah.

Yeah, that love the "sinner", hate the "sin" stuff is a buncha hooey, isn't it?

I do so love the "compossionate conservatives". There's absolutely no concept of humanity...unless, of course, you haven't been born yet.

:clap2: :rofl:

i'd rep you if i could! :eusa_clap:

:eusa_whistle:

I wonder how many of the underprivileged, sick, addicted and disabled Jillie has helped today. I'll bet she doesn't contribute money or time to those who come from different backgrounds, or whose beliefs differ from her own....

I wonder how many of the underprivileged, sick, addicted and disabled Jillie has helped today. I'll bet she doesn't contribute money or time to those who come from different backgrounds, or whose beliefs differ from her own....

This from someone who doesn't think gays are fit to be parents.

Is this where Allie brags about helping abused women? Then bashes victims of rape who want an abortion?

This from someone who doesn't think gays are fit to be parents.

When did I say that? I said your obvious happiness, joy at being alive and lack of misplaced anger shows what a successful endeavor it can be....

Is this where Allie brags about helping abused women? Then bashes victims of rape who want an abortion?

Again, when did I say that? I don't bash victims of rape. I bash women who whine they wished they had had an abortion after irresponsible sex because then it would have saved them the trouble of having to put a child up for adoption, and forcing them to consider the circumstances of that child.

Provide a link where I've bashed rape victims, or shut your stupid hole.

When did I say that? I said your obvious happiness, joy at being alive and lack of misplaced anger shows what a successful endeavor it can be....

What you actually said:

A good example of what having gay parents will do to a kid.
You're hostile, confused, and neurotic. Don't blame me.

Its amusing to me that you feel free to judge how other people should live considering the royal fuckup your life has been. My lifes actually been quite good, I have no qualms with my parents. I do however have qualms with people like you who think that my situation, which you know next to nothing about, is somehow wrong.

I don't judge how others live. I base my assumptions on the results. I see in you an angry, frustrated man who does not appear to be happy at all with his own life, and even less happy with the lives of those he sees around him.

Then you pop off with the gay parents thing and suddenly, a light comes on. The studies are there. The kids of gay parents are not well adjusted, are not happy, have more mental health issues and other issues as well. I'm not judging your parents. I'm not judging you. I'm making a deduction based upon what you've said, and studies I've looked at. I've no doubt you had parents who loved you and treated you well. But facts are facts.

BTW, I'm not hostile towards gays, either, so your comment about "my ilk" was way off base. I lived with a gay couple and loved them dearly. My older boys were raised around them, they were family. My mother was very close to a gay couple when we were children. There was never any hatred or fear in our family regarding sexual orientation at any time.

So who's making the inaccurate judgement here? I don't think it's an ideal situation for gay parents to raise kids. So what? I don't think half the parents in America are ideal parents. I'm not advocating taking their kids from them (I'll leave that to liberals who have a problem with homeschooling and alternative Christian lifestyles).

Forum List

Back