Muslim Sues Oklahoma Over Anti-Shariah Ballot Measure

A popular new law that bars Oklahoma courts from considering Islamic law, or Shariah, when deciding cases was put on hold Monday after a prominent Muslim in the state won a temporary restraining order in federal court.

Two state legislators were quick to blast the judge's ruling and the Oklahoma attorney general, who they said did not stand up to support the new law.

Duncan and Sykes both said the state should have challenged whether Awad had the standing to bring the case.

“As far as we know, he flew into here from Georgia just to make the case," Duncan said. "We don’t think he is an Oklahoma resident or plans to stay. We don’t think he had standing.”

Oklahoma state Rep. Rex Duncan, who co-sponsored the bill, said he hadn’t seen the judge's written ruling yet, but he was disappointed that “her words from the bench indicated she had completely embraced the plaintiff’s arguments.”

“They were pretty extraordinary statements from the judge,
” he said.

FoxNews.com - Oklahoma's Ban on Shariah Law Blocked: Supporters Blame State Attorney General

This is exactly why the law is needed. You just can't trust these liberal judges.

A popular new law that bars Oklahoma courts from considering Islamic law, or Shariah, when deciding cases was put on hold Monday after a prominent Muslim in the state won a temporary restraining order in federal court.

Two state legislators were quick to blast the judge's ruling and the Oklahoma attorney general, who they said did not stand up to support the new law.

Duncan and Sykes both said the state should have challenged whether Awad had the standing to bring the case.

“As far as we know, he flew into here from Georgia just to make the case," Duncan said. "We don’t think he is an Oklahoma resident or plans to stay. We don’t think he had standing.”

Oklahoma state Rep. Rex Duncan, who co-sponsored the bill, said he hadn’t seen the judge's written ruling yet, but he was disappointed that “her words from the bench indicated she had completely embraced the plaintiff’s arguments.”

” he said.
FoxNews.com - Oklahoma's Ban on Shariah Law Blocked: Supporters Blame State Attorney General

This is exactly why the law is needed. You just can't trust these liberal judges.
I know, they always stick to the constitution. What fun is that?

” he said.

I thought it was common practice to block laws while their constitutionality was under review.

The CAIR people are professional litigators. It keeps them in business. In fact, I believe lawsuits are their business. If Sharia Law is instituted, they will have even more people to sue.

The Religion of Perpetual Outrage.

Sure you aren't talking about the Rev Phelps family and their so-called Baptist Church?

” he said.

I thought it was common practice to block laws while their constitutionality was under review.
Only if one is a liberal, apparently.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why liberal suddenly = defends Islam at every turn.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why liberal suddenly = defends Islam at every turn.
Islam is everything the left condemns Christianity for: It's intolerant, fundamentalist, repressive, misogynistic, and homophobic.

They condemn Christianity for all those things, but give Islam, which is all those in far greater measure than Christianity, a free pass, and indeed bend over backwards to defend it.

It doesn't make any sense at all.

Islam is everything the left condemns Christianity for: It's intolerant, fundamentalist, repressive, misogynistic, and homophobic.

They condemn Christianity for all those things, but give Islam, which is all those in far greater measure than Christianity, a free pass, and indeed bend over backwards to defend it.

Unless of course one considers that liberals defend Islam simply b/c conservatives abhor it. They certainly don't do so out of any sense of Islam being anything but repugnant.

It has nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with civil rights guaranteed by the constitution.

Liberals care about civil rights. "conservatives" care about civil rights only if they affect them personally.

Sad but true.

Unless of course one considers that liberals defend Islam simply b/c conservatives abhor it. They certainly don't do so out of any sense of Islam being anything but repugnant.
"Oh, but it's their culture! We mustn't judge! Now, white Christian conservative culture -- we'll judge the DOGSHIT outta that, buddy!"

No free pass from me....but when I am against going against the Constitution...somehow or another, that translates to me being a Muslim lover....go figure.

No free pass from me....but when I am against going against the Constitution...somehow or another, that translates to me being a Muslim lover....go figure.
You do that a lot, you know: Attempt to disprove a general statement about the left by saying, "Not ME!"

How well do you suppose that works?

Yeah the fact that when these debates come up and someone points out the horrid treatment of women by Islam, or the terror acts or what have you that are one of the VERY first on here who try to convince anyone that Christianity is just as bad, when anyone with a brain can see it is not, means nothing; does it.

” he said.

I know, they always stick to the constitution. What fun is that?

That's the WORSE kind of judge...one who sticks to the Constitution....if the Righties don't like it.

Yeah the fact that when these debates come up and someone points out the horrid treatment of women by Islam, or the terror acts or what have you that are one of the VERY first on here who try to convince anyone that Christianity is just as bad, when anyone with a brain can see it is not, means nothing; does it.
Perhaps you are not aware that saying Religion B is as bad as Religion A is NOT support of Religion A....it is a condemnation of BOTH Religion A & B's behavior in this regard.

Glad to have been of help in explaining the nuances of English Language comprehension to you.

It's very easy to say "follow the Constitution", but the first amendment includes religion and speech. Sometimes those things are in conflict. The constitution also includes due process and equal protection, but all we know that isn't always applied. When big conflicts arise, they go to the Supreme Court, who often overrules lower court decisions.

All I'm saying is that it's not that simple. This law would at least give some stricter guidelines in matters of international/religious disputes before anything becomes a Supreme Court case. Why oppose that?

It's very easy to say "follow the Constitution", but the first amendment includes religion and speech. Sometimes those things are in conflict. The constitution also includes due process and equal protection, but all we know that isn't always applied. When big conflicts arise, they go to the Supreme Court, who often overrules lower court decisions.

All I'm saying is that it's not that simple. This law would at least give some stricter guidelines in matters of international/religious disputes before anything becomes a Supreme Court case. Why oppose that?

I think the issue is that it's not international/religious, it's international/Islamic. As I said earlier, if this had said it prevented the consideration of religious law rather than specifically Islamic law, there wouldn't be this issue.

It might not have prevented complaints or a lawsuit, but the issue of singling out Islam wouldn't be there.

Forum List

Back