Muslim Scholar Praises Israeli Democracy & Equal Rights

Morocco, Iran, Tunisia,

Tunisia is becoming an Islamic theocracy so these things may change, I think you are right about Morrocco, not sure about Iran though.

No it's not. The Islamic party has got the most votes but this is just for a government to decide the constitution. Al-Nahda leader of the Ennahda party has already said he has in mind a similar situation to Turkey so there is no reason for lack of freedom of faith. He also made it clear that he had no intentions of imposing his morals on the population. Obviously we need to see how things work out but Tunisia is absolutely not giving up it's democracy! The have to argue together to create a constitution now.

When have Arabs ever had democracy in 1400 years, hun? I'm beginning to see a trend

The Torah says Proclaim Liberty Throughout The Land. Can you show us where the Quran proclaims liberty throughout the land? No, I didn't think you could.

Last edited:
Morocco, Iran, Tunisia,

Tunisia is becoming an Islamic theocracy so these things may change, I think you are right about Morrocco, not sure about Iran though.

No it's not. The Islamic party has got the most votes but this is just for a government to decide the constitution. Al-Nahda leader of the Ennahda party has already said he has in mind a similar situation to Turkey so there is no reason for lack of freedom of faith. He also made it clear that he had no intentions of imposing his morals on the population. Obviously we need to see how things work out but Tunisia is absolutely not giving up it's democracy! The have to argue together to create a constitution now.

I will have to look into this party more, I heard womens rights are being eroded in Tunisia so I assumed they are heading towards a theocracy.

The demographics resembles that of USA with Christians being 76% jews 1.2% and Muslims 0.6%

nearly all of Iran's Jewish population have fled, approx. 140,000, leaving only about 12,000 Iranian Jews which is virtually zero.

They must have fled for nice weather in California, huh, ? :lol:

Keep posting your hilarious posts,
Yep

The United States is home to 60,000–80,000 Iranian Jews, most of whom have settled in the Greater Los Angeles area and in Great Neck, New York. Those in metropolitan Los Angeles have settled mostly in the affluent Westside cities of Beverly Hills and Santa Monica and the Los Angeles Westside neighborhoods of Brentwood, Westwood, and West L.A., as well as the San Fernando Valley communities of Tarzana and Encino. According to the former mayor of Beverly Hills, Iranians make up at least a fifth of the resident population of Beverly Hills (the large majority of them Jewish),
As of 2007, Israel is home to just over 47,000 Iranian-born Jews
Persian Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jews from Iran are doing fantastic in California, so are the Muslims who fled as well.

I will have to look into this party more, I heard womens rights are being eroded in Tunisia so I assumed they are heading towards a theocracy.

I did a search on the problem with women's rights and it seems this comes from the previous Government and is in connection with human rights abuses.

Hopefully the new government will redress this.

Tunisia is backtracking on women's rights | Kamel Labidi | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I don't know how any serious moderate or liberal Muslim who recognizes the advantages of democracy could have anything but praise for Israel's democracy. It isn't the democratic elements of Israel that these people criticize, but the status of those living in Jerico (for example) who are citizens of nowhere, but live under Israeli administration.

Israel is the only country in the ME where Muslims, Christians and Jews can practice their religions openly without getting into trouble.

Eh, I don't know about that. There are plenty of places where this is true. Even in the Islamic Republic of Iran, people are able to practice their faith for the most part. It's just that everyone in Iran has an equal lack of rights.

Yes but besides that one seat in parliament, the Jews are not allowed to do much else politically.

There is one guaranteed seat for Jews, one for Zoroastrians, one for Assyrians and two for Armenians. Surprisingly, there is no guaranteed seat for Azerbaijani (so, Muslim Turks seem to have less rights than the Christians).

This isn't really a big deal as it sounds on its face, though, because Parliament lacks so much power and has been losing power over the last decade. There are open debates on the parliament floor where things are said that the press can't say. The clerics tolerate it because none of it really matters.

I did a search on the problem with women's rights and it seems this comes from the previous Government and is in connection with human rights abuses.

Hopefully the new government will redress this.

Presumably, you failed to do a search on sharia law that sanctions the beating of disobedient Muslimas.

That would be the same Muslimas that the Quran sez are mentally deficient.

Ya think there might be a correlation between the subjugation of women in Islamic ideology and in the Islamic world?

nearly all of Iran's Jewish population have fled, approx. 140,000, leaving only about 12,000 Iranian Jews which is virtually zero.

They must have fled for nice weather in California, huh, ? :lol:

Keep posting your hilarious posts,
Yep

The United States is home to 60,000–80,000 Iranian Jews, most of whom have settled in the Greater Los Angeles area and in Great Neck, New York. Those in metropolitan Los Angeles have settled mostly in the affluent Westside cities of Beverly Hills and Santa Monica and the Los Angeles Westside neighborhoods of Brentwood, Westwood, and West L.A., as well as the San Fernando Valley communities of Tarzana and Encino. According to the former mayor of Beverly Hills, Iranians make up at least a fifth of the resident population of Beverly Hills (the large majority of them Jewish),
As of 2007, Israel is home to just over 47,000 Iranian-born Jews
Persian Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jews from Iran are doing fantastic in California, so are the Muslims who fled as well.

The Mayor of Beverly Hills is an Iranian American.

I don't know how any serious moderate or liberal Muslim who recognizes the advantages of democracy could have anything but praise for Israel's democracy. It isn't the democratic elements of Israel that these people criticize, but the status of those living in Jerico (for example) who are citizens of nowhere, but live under Israeli administration.

Israel is the only country in the ME where Muslims, Christians and Jews can practice their religions openly without getting into trouble.

Eh, I don't know about that. There are plenty of places where this is true. Even in the Islamic Republic of Iran, people are able to practice their faith for the most part. It's just that everyone in Iran has an equal lack of rights.

Yes but besides that one seat in parliament, the Jews are not allowed to do much else politically.

There is one guaranteed seat for Jews, one for Zoroastrians, one for Assyrians and two for Armenians. Surprisingly, there is no guaranteed seat for Azerbaijani (so, Muslim Turks seem to have less rights than the Christians).

This isn't really a big deal as it sounds on its face, though, because Parliament lacks so much power and has been losing power over the last decade. There are open debates on the parliament floor where things are said that the press can't say. The clerics tolerate it because none of it really matters.

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say there are "plenty of places" in the ME except the ones Jos mentioned, the thing is Morrocco has barely any Christians or Jews, I wonder if they would be this tolerant with a larger Jewish and Christian population. I can tell you the countries I have been to in the ME did not allow Jews and had very little tolerance for Christians.

Wowee, democracy Iranian-style! No love for the persecuted Bhais?

Forum List

Back