Muslim father marries off 3 yr old to settle dispute

This might be something to talk about were it unique to Muslims or unique in history. It is neither.
Just how much hubris does it take to assume one's own cultural system is better than someone else's? Child marriage has fallen out of favor among European-based cultures. It hasn't in Asian and other cultures. That is what it is. As Americans we'd no sooner acquiesce to someone from different cultures telling us ours is flawed. By what right do we get to tell others theirs if flawed?
When they come for a 3 yr old that matters to you we'll see how much it matters.

Someone from another culture coming for my child and someone in a given culture settling their own issues within the constructs and mores of their own culture and leaving me and my kids out it are two different things. That article tells of two Pakistani families settling matters within their own culture.

You are insane. But then you are a progressive.

Google the Shafia famili murders. Get back to me. Tell me you are still a feminist after you ran all links

FGM considered a cultural practice. and bACCHA BAZI.
Do we really want to got there?
Neither of which are Islamic or in the Quran. ..... :cool:

This is why though those of faith have to step up to the plate and say hells bells what they say is not in the book. I love to death the two on jihad and Mohammed is very clear how there are two levels of jihad.

Very clear.

This might be something to talk about were it unique to Muslims or unique in history. It is neither.
Just how much hubris does it take to assume one's own cultural system is better than someone else's? Child marriage has fallen out of favor among European-based cultures. It hasn't in Asian and other cultures. That is what it is. As Americans we'd no sooner acquiesce to someone from different cultures telling us ours is flawed. By what right do we get to tell others theirs if flawed?
When they come for a 3 yr old that matters to you we'll see how much it matters.

Someone from another culture coming for my child and someone in a given culture settling their own issues within the constructs and mores of their own culture and leaving me and my kids out it are two different things. That article tells of two Pakistani families settling matters within their own culture.

You are insane. But then you are a progressive.

Google the Shafia famili murders. Get back to me. Tell me you are still a feminist after you ran all links

Get back to me....after you ran all links

I'm just going to be frank: even if I Google the "Shafia famili murders" [sic], I'm not going to read all the links resulting from the search.

If there's a specific essay or article you want me to read, point me to it and I may read it. Whether I do will depend on whether I even want to discuss it and whether it actually has something material to do with this thread's central theme -- child marriage used as a medium of exchange for settling a dispute between two Pashtun families in Pakistan.

Whether I post something topically substantive, germane and different from what I've already had to say about the content of your suggested article/essay will depend on whether or not what it says convinces me that I should have an opinion beyond that of thinking that Pashtuns in Pakistan should be allowed -- absent interference from me or any other non-Pashtun, non-Pakistani -- to settle "issues" in whatever be the accepted Pashtun way(s) of doing so and that the Pakistani government deems acceptable or at least will acquiesce to.

Tell me you are still a feminist after you ran all links

As for whether I'm a feminist, I wouldn't necessarily label myself as one now. I don't know why after reading any of the content pertaining to the "Shafia famili murders" [sic] I would suddenly become one.

you are a progressive.

I'm not a progressive, conservative, liberal or any other readily "boxed" individual. I am a man who considers things and arrives at conclusions based on a rational analysis of the totality of facts that are available to me and that I can find.

Maybe some of my positions will seem progressive. Others will likely seem conservative and others liberal. What I am not is an ideologue. I don't need "tidy little boxes" to know what to think or how to think, about a given matter. I need only apply the facts to the set of principles that govern all my choices and positions.

As goes the matter of the Aurangzeb and Younis families, those people are settling their own issues between themselves using the Vani process that is, at the very least, tolerated even though it's officially been discouraged but not prohibited, by the Pakistani government.

The children involved in the marriage are their parents' responsibility, and for for better or worse seeing as they are Pashtuns in Pakistan, they are subject to the way their parents want to raise them and the culture in which they all find themselves. Those two toddlers would not be first children affected by the consequence of their parent's circumstances; all children are subject to that. Look at all the nitwit kids who are born to nitwit parents and who are thus raised in an environment that doesn't push them to be outstanding performers in any discipline. Those kids have a harder way to go in realizing their full potential and finding happiness/success. Kids who are born into privilege anywhere have an easier time finding a way to rise to their full potential and find their personal sources of satisfaction/success.

That's just the way it is, but it is that way everywhere and it always has been. I'm okay with that. I am because I value the notion that people should be free to handle their affairs as they see fit, so long as it doesn't have an adverse impact on others outside the immediate "community/group" of parties directly involved. As far as what those two families did to settle their dispute, that's them, their group in their little corner of the world. When it spills into my little corner of the world, I may have something different to say about it, but until then, they can do what they want however they want to do it.

According to the teachings of Mohammad (Islam) if a nation is conquered by Islam, they have the right to take any child (non - Muslim, Jewish, Christian, anyone) as a sex slave or in marriage and there wouldn't be a thing the parent could do about it. That is the history of Islam. Look it up and stop believing what you were indoctrinated to believe about Islam by your liberal educators. That is a pseudo Islam they are teaching you about and it doesn't exist.

My prayer for this family is that they will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved. That the father will repent of his adultery, that his wife will forgive him for committing adultery and for putting their 3 yr. old daughter in great danger, and that they will never be the same again. With God all things are possible.

I'm also praying for the other family that the husband will forgive his wife (and not stone her to death) and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved.

Forum List

Back