Muslim clerics preach 'wife beating'

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
A book's claim that wife-beating is condoned by Islamic law has the support of Muslim clerics around the world, according to a report.

Egyptian-born Sheikh Muhammad Kamal Mustafa, the imam of the mosque in Fuengirola, Spain, was convicted in January for publishing his book "The Woman in Islam," which among other things said a rebellious wife should be physically punished.

Researchers Steven Stalinsky and Y. Yehoshua contend this belief is common, citing Muslim clerics and Islamic religious institutions that discuss it as a legitimate way of "disciplining" a wife, based on the Quran, reported the Washington-based Middle East Media Research Institute.

The Barcelona judge, who gave Mustafa a 15-month suspended sentence and fine for inciting violence against women, declared society is completely different from 1,400 years ago.

Mustafa's attorney argued his client was not expressing his personal opinion, but simply reiterating Islamic writings from the 13th and 19th centuries.

In his book, which sold about 3,000 copies, Mustafa states: "The beating must never be in exaggerated, blind anger, in order to avoid serious harm [to the woman]."

He adds, "It is forbidden to beat her on the sensitive parts of her body, such as the face, breast, abdomen, and head. Instead, she should be beaten on the arms and legs," using a "rod that must not be stiff, but slim and lightweight so that no wounds, scars, or bruises are caused."

The sheikh said the aim of the beating is to cause the woman to feel some emotional pain, without humiliating her or harming her physically. Wife-beating, he said, must be the last resort to which the husband turns in punishing his wife, and is, according to the Quran, chapter 4, verse 34, the husband's third step when the wife is rebellious.

First, he must reprimand her, without anger. Next, he must distance her from the conjugal bed. Only if these two methods fail should the husband turn to beating.

Stalinsky and Yehoshua cite other Islamic clerics, including Sheikh Yousef Qaradhawi, one of the most influential clerics in Sunni Islam and head of the European Council for Fatwa and Research, who says "it is permissible for the husband to beat her lightly."

In his 1984 book "The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam," he wrote: "If the husband senses that feelings of disobedience and rebelliousness are rising against him in his wife, he should try his best to rectify her attitude by kind words, gentle persuasion, and reasoning with her. If this is not helpful, he should sleep apart from her, trying to awaken her agreeable feminine nature so that serenity may be restored, and she may respond to him in a harmonious fashion. If this approach fails, it is permissible for him to beat her lightly with his hands, avoiding her face and other sensitive parts."

Qaradhawi quotes Imam Al-Hafiz ibn Hajar, who says the saying of the prophet Muhammad, "The best among you do not beat," could imply "beating wives is in general permissible. To be specific, one may beat only to safeguard Islamic behavior and if [the husband] sees deviation only in what she must do or obey in relation to him."

Dr. Jamal Badawi, professor at Saint Mary's University in Halifax, Canada, has explained Islam allows beating in cases in "which a wife persists in bad habits and showing contempt of her husband and disregard for her marital obligations."

Read the rest about these scumbags here:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37690

Yikes.

Can't believe everything you read or some so-called "cleric" tells you. That's why I stay out of church and conduct my own mass :rolleyes:

One thing I would say, however, is that with all the focus on Islam being due to to recent anti-terrorist efforts I think that it is of tantamount importance to differentiate between Islam and religious fundamentalism.

There are zealots in all religions and likewise all religions have some aspect which most of us would disagree with. I am not Muslim, and often have a hard time understanding parts of this somewhat foreign religion.

But it is important not to read an article like this and go and assume that all Muslim's support these views on wife-beating.

Nevertheless, this is very disturbing and a perfect example of why the Taliban had to be toppled.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
the holy church of DK will open up come July. :D

Ha-ha.;) That's what I'm talking about. It's high time we started to give people some more options.

If I were to start a church/religion(and I would call them neither of those things) some of my founding tenets would be:

1. Question authority (including your preacher)
2. Be naked as much as possible. So are we born so shall we be :D
3. All men/women are equal.
4. Question authority.
5. Question authority.
6. Question authority.
7. In other words, think for yourself and don't be a fool. Only a fool follows others blindly!!!

Originally posted by nycflasher
Yikes.

Can't believe everything you read or some so-called "cleric" tells you. That's why I stay out of church and conduct my own mass :rolleyes:

One thing I would say, however, is that with all the focus on Islam being due to to recent anti-terrorist efforts I think that it is of tantamount importance to differentiate between Islam and religious fundamentalism.

There are zealots in all religions and likewise all religions have some aspect which most of us would disagree with. I am not Muslim, and often have a hard time understanding parts of this somewhat foreign religion.

But it is important not to read an article like this and go and assume that all Muslim's support these views on wife-beating.

Nevertheless, this is very disturbing and a perfect example of why the Taliban had to be toppled.

Maybe you can't believe everything you read but I have read literally hundreds of articles similar to this - most directly from muslims themselves. Also, I have probably read thousands of articles about the abuse women receive from their muslim husbands and how there isn't a damn thing they can do about it. Can't really ignore all of it.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Maybe you can't believe everything you read but I have read literally hundreds of articles similar to this - most directly from muslims themselves. Also, I have probably read thousands of articles about the abuse women receive from their muslim husbands and how there isn't a damn thing they can do about it. Can't really ignore all of it.

I just think this. Muslims are no worse than Catholics or Prodestants. Religion is just that, religion. What peoiple do in the name of religion is another thing. A Muslim woman in our country can have her husband prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, if he beats her.

I am definitely not advising you to ignore the plethora of likewise articles you read. I am just not sure where you believe it is all going. Do you suggest a referendum on Islam? Do you suggest that it is a problematic/troubled religion?

I ask these questions just because I hear so many people lashing out at Islam, mostly because they are afraid of terrorism.

And I was wondering how this article made you feel.

I just think this. Muslims are no worse than Catholics or Prodestants. Religion is just that, religion. What peoiple do in the name of religion is another thing. A Muslim woman in our country can have her husband prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, if he beats her.

I am definitely not advising you to ignore the plethora of likewise articles you read. I am just not sure where you believe it is all going. Do you suggest a referendum on Islam? Do you suggest that it is a problematic/troubled religion?

I ask these questions just because I hear so many people lashing out at Islam, mostly because they are afraid of terrorism.

And I was wondering how this article made you feel.

Actually, if you read catholic doctrine, islamic doctrine, Mormon, Jehova Witness, or protestant doctrine, and a myriad of others, you only find one with the terroristic and violent dictation of behavior.

Islam is the one. It promises paradise for the person who commits these acts against "infidels". That is the ONLY way paradise is GUARANTEED.

In that regard, anyone followint their own doctrine is not radical, and any one following islam would have to be practicing terrorism.

To NOT do so is "radical".

Originally posted by NewGuy
Actually, if you read catholic doctrine, islamic doctrine, Mormon, Jehova Witness, or protestant doctrine, and a myriad of others, you only find one with the terroristic and violent dictation of behavior.

Islam is the one. It promises paradise for the person who commits these acts against "infidels". That is the ONLY way paradise is GUARANTEED.

In that regard, anyone followint their own doctrine is not radical, and any one following islam would have to be practicing terrorism.

does it define, in specific parameters, what 'infidel' is?

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
does it define, in specific parameters, what 'infidel' is?

Not in only one verse. It gives the three criteria, but I am at work right now. I will post it later tonight. It is defined as anyone not following Allah, people who are Jews, and people following any other "god" which by definition would include Christians.

This may be in my other post in the war on terrorism thread "prove-it:2"

Interesting comment. I'm going to start a new thread with this post to get some feedback. Hope ya don't mind...

Interesting comment. I'm going to start a new thread with this post to get some feedback. Hope ya don't mind...

Not at all.

-Besides, would it matter?

:huh:

Not at all.

-Besides, would it matter?

:huh:

No, I suppose not. Public domain...
Besides, I knew you wouldn't mind standing up for your beliefs.:piss2:

No, I suppose not. Public domain...
Besides, I knew you wouldn't mind standing up for your beliefs.:piss2:

Nice.

I would suppose you are directing that at me?

Forum List

Back