Muslim cartoon clash hits Halifax

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
I saw these Muslim kids on the news yesterday and if that university is anythign like mine, this professor is outnumbered and needs a body guard.

Muslim cartoon clash hits Halifax
Lecturer stirs outrage after posting drawings
In Montreal, Muslim leaders cancel protest
Feb. 10, 2006. 05:28 AM
MICHAEL TUTTON
CANADIAN PRESS

HALIFAX—A peaceful protest turned tense yesterday when some Muslim students confronted a Halifax professor who drew criticism for posting contentious cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad on his office door.

Peter March, a philosophy professor at Saint Mary's University, said he was merely trying to promote a reasoned debate when he suddenly showed up in the midst of 100 protestors.

"You can't do philosophy directly and honestly without causing inflammation," he said as the protest march was getting started. "It's one of the side effects, rather like surgery."

When students realized who he was, a group of angry youths started shouting, "Go away!" and "You don't belong here!"

But March stood his ground, attempting to debate some of them before organizers urged the students to ignore him and move on.

The shouting matches, all captured by TV cameras, are precisely what some Canadian Muslim leaders fear contribute to negative stereotypes of their religion. Passions flared again on the university campus when March engaged in several discussions that soon turned to heated arguments.

He was helped into a campus building by police who barred the doors to a group of angry students.

In Montreal, leaders of dozens of Muslim organizations say they will not take part in a planned protest tomorrow against the cartoons and they appealed to followers to stay away as well.

Salam Elmenyawi, head of the Muslim Council of Montreal, said tensions were running very high and expressed concern about a public gathering. "I'm afraid of the one person who comes and creates a problem," he said. Mosques plan to distribute pamphlets as part of an education campaign about Islam.

Police are investigating after two mosques in Laval, north of Montreal, were vandalized earlier this week. Rocks were thrown through windows at the Islamic Cultural Centre and the Al-Hissane Islamic Centre.

Meanwhile, religious groups across Canada, including the Canadian Jewish Congress, have condemned the cartoons, saying they are needlessly provocative. Islamic tradition bars any depiction of the Prophet, favourable or otherwise, and violent protests have erupted throughout the Muslim world.

Continued

Canada has gone very soft on terrorists, specifically Muslims and Tamil Tigers, in its immigration policy.

No surprise that things like this would occur when you let the fox into the henhouse.

Canada obviously does discriminate against certain groups, for example you don't see a lot of Africans or people of African origin there. When they decided not to discriminate against Tamils and Muslims they made their own bed.

Let this be a lesson to Britain and the other countries that are making this same mistake.

Nuc said:
Canada has gone very soft on terrorists, specifically Muslims and Tamil Tigers, in its immigration policy.

No surprise that things like this would occur when you let the fox into the henhouse.

Canada obviously does discriminate against certain groups, for example you don't see a lot of Africans or people of African origin there. When they decided not to discriminate against Tamils and Muslims they made their own bed.

Let this be a lesson to Britain and the other countries that are making this same mistake.

Are you joking, there's LOTS of Afraicans here, namely Somalians, Ethiopians, Sudanese, Djiboutians - in Eastern Canada.

For the most part though, I think most countries thought Muslims were better than Africans, I bet they're sorry now too.

Said1 said:
Are you joking, there's LOTS of Afraicans here, namely Somalians, Ethiopians, Sudanese, Djiboutians - in Eastern Canada.

For the most part though, I think most countries thought Muslims were better than Africans, I bet they're sorry now too.

Hey hotty, nice Djibouti.

Said1 said:
What? Did I spell it wrong? What do you call people from Djibouti?

no. It's just a bad joke. Cuz it sounds like booty. SOmetimes I'm puerile.

I think it's spelled right.

Said1 said:

I don't know....when I'm in Canada my main impression is that Asians are the prominent minority. The blacks don't dominate like south of the border. Which is an improvement.

As far as choosing is concerned, I don't understand why ANY western countries are letting people who have no interest in western values into their countries. Maybe potential immigrants should be given a questionaire and if they don't understand things like women's rights, free press, religious freedom, etc. they don't get in.

Nuc said:
I don't know....when I'm in Canada my main impression is that Asians are the prominent minority. The blacks don't dominate like south of the border. Which is an improvement.

Asians rule in the west. Ever heard of Hongcouver?

Come east, different story in cities like Halifax, Toronto, Ottawa, Windsor.

Quebec has their own immigration policies and am not familiar with it, although I think Montreal has a huge Haitan population. The Governor General is also black, Haitian decent.

As far as choosing is concerned, I don't understand why ANY western countries are letting people who have no interest in western values into their countries. Maybe potential immigrants should be given a questionaire and if they don't understand things like women's rights, free press, religious freedom, etc. they don't get in.

Even so, they can fake it.

Said1 said:
Even so, they can fake it.

Still though. when they start bitching about images of mohammed, or pork products, they can be shown the document they signed and told to stfu.

Said1 said:
Asians rule in the west. Ever heard of Hongcouver?

Come east, different story in cities like Halifax, Toronto, Ottawa, Windsor.

Quebec has their own immigration policies and am not familiar with it, although I think Montreal has a huge Haitan population. The Governor General is also black, Haitian decent.

I've been all over Canada and I've felt a strong Inuit presence in places, Asian in places, but never felt oppressed by a strong black presence like here. Are you saying blacks have taken over Toronto like in the U.S? I don't think so. The drama of crossing over from Detroit to Windsor is the relief of getting away from the oppressive black presence in Detroit.

[/QUOTE]Even so, they can fake it.[/QUOTE]

When they act against western culture they get extradited?

Nuc said:
I've been all over Canada and I've felt a strong Inuit presence in places, Asian in places, but never felt oppressed by a strong black presence like here. Are you saying blacks have taken over Toronto like in the U.S? I don't think so. The drama of crossing over from Detroit to Windsor is the relief of getting away from the oppressive black presence in Detroit.

I said there are lots of Africans. Not taking over, not oppressive, lots. I think what I wrote was fairly straight forward, I hope that clears things up a tad.

When they act against western culture they get extradited?

Some have, yes. I don't know each every persons name, but I think one or two might have been deported.

"Luke luke, I feel a strong Inuit Presence, as of millions crying out and suddenly silenced."

Said1 said:
I said there are lots of Africans. Not taking over, not oppressive, lots. I think what I wrote was fairly straight forward, I hope that clears things up a tad.

Some have, yes. I don't know each every persons name, but I think one or two might have been deported.

I wasn't asking if they get deported, I was suggesting it as a solution. Unfortunately when these people get into the west they stay as long as they want and create more.

rtwngAvngr said:
"Luke luke, I feel a strong Inuit Presence, as of millions crying out and suddenly silenced."

Hey Wingnut, I've been places in Canada where there were nothing but Inuits. Pretty nice people actually, as long as they are not sniffing gasoline.

Nuc said:
I wasn't asking if they get deported, I was suggesting it as a solution. Unfortunately when these people get into the west they stay as long as they want and create more.

It looked like a question.

What's your government's policies about future non-Mexican immigration?

Forum List

Back