Muslim/Buddhist Strife in Burma

• Banned
President Thein Sein has declared an emergency in Rakhine state and warned that the spiraling violence could threaten the democratic reforms tentatively transforming the country after half a century of military rule.

From Friday through Monday, the evening's news report said, 21 people have been killed, 21 wounded and 1,662 houses burned down around Rakhine state.

Myanmar's government regards the Rohingyas as illegal migrants from Bangladesh and has rendered them stateless by denying them citizenship. Although some are recent settlers, many have lived in Myanmar for generations and rights groups say they suffer severe discrimination.

The United Nations' refugee agency estimates 800,000 Rohingya live in Myanmar's mountainous Rakhine state. Thousands attempt to flee every year to Bangladesh, Malaysia and elsewhere.

Death toll passes 20 in Myanmar ethnic violence - NY Daily News

Last edited:
  • Banned
In this generally impoverished country, the Rohingya, many of whom who have been in Myanmar for several generations, are perhaps the most vulnerable minority, plagued by what one United Nations official has called a “chronic crisis.”

They are not allowed to own land, suffer frequent food shortages and are technically restricted from travel outside Rakhine, which borders Bangladesh. Thousands have fled the country by boat in recent years to seek work in Malaysia and other neighboring countries. There are also hundreds of thousands of Rohingya on the Bangladeshi side of the border.

The Rohingya issue stirs a strong nationalist response even among the most liberal members of Burmese society. Mr. Ko Ko Gyi, who spent 18 years in prison for opposing the previous military government, said that the Rohingya were not one of the country’s accepted nationalities and that the “international community” must find a solution to the problem of their statelessness.

“This a question of national sovereignty,” he said. “Anybody who wants Myanmar citizenship will have to learn one of Myanmar’s national languages and learn about our culture.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/world/asia/state-of-emergency-declared-in-western-myanmar.html

But what is the exact reason and why they are fighting.In all this things Muslims are affected more.

More Muslim turmoil in Buddhist Burma...
:eusa_eh:
3 Rohingya Women Shot Dead in Confrontation with Burmese Police
June 05, 2013 - Burmese activists and police said security forces have shot and killed three Muslim Rohingya women in a confrontation in the western state of Rakhine.
They said the confrontation happened Tuesday at a camp for internally displaced Rohingyas who fled sectarian violence between majority Buddhists and minority Muslims last year. Burmese police told Western news agencies that fighting erupted when some Rohingyas refused orders from security forces to relocate from their shelters in the town of Mrauk-U. The police said the Rohingyas confronted security personnel with makeshift weapons, prompting the officers to open fire. It was not immediately clear why Burmese authorities wanted to move the Rohingyas to new shelters.

About 140,000 people, many of them Rohingyas, fled their homes in Rakhine in 2012, during two waves of Buddhist-Muslim violence that killed at least 200 people. The violence spread to central and northeastern Burma this year. Hundreds of global business leaders arrived in Burma this week to attend a regional meeting of the World Economic Forum, which opened Wednesday in the administrative capital, Naypyitaw.

0B15435C-1A38-4F0B-B5F3-EECDDF4186F9_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy8_cw0.jpg

People from a Rohingya internally displaced persons (IDP) camp board a vehicle to their camp after waiting out cyclone Mahasen in a mosque outside of Sittwe, Burma

Meanwhile, Burmese activists in Malaysia said Malaysian police detained hundreds of Burmese in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday on suspicion of involvement in deadly violence apparently linked to Burma's sectarian unrest. The activists said some of the Burmese were released after their legal status was verified.

Malaysian police have reported the killings of four Burmese in Kuala Lumpur in recent days. One man was slashed to death while sleeping at a car wash. Kuala Lumpur's deputy police chief Amar Singh Ishar Singh told Reuters that it appears the violence is a "spillover" from Burma. He said most of the incidents involve Burmese Muslims attacking Burmese Buddhists.

Malaysia is home to hundreds of thousands of Burmese, including legal migrant workers and many undocumented migrants. Thousands of Rohingyas also have sought asylum in Muslim-majority Malaysia after fleeing Burma. The Burmese government considers the Rohingyas to be illegal immigrants from neighboring Bangladesh.

3 Rohingya Women Shot Dead in Confrontation with Burmese Police

^ Looking at the picture, they do not look native Mayanmar folks. They look like Bangladeshis to me. It seems like a conflict between native Mayanmar population and Bangladeshi (unwanted) immigrants.

Buddhists kill a 94 year old Muslim woman...

Elderly woman killed in Myanmar sectarian violence
Oct 1,`13 -- Buddhist mobs killed a 94-year-old Muslim woman and torched more than 70 homes as sectarian violence again gripped Myanmar's Rakhine state despite a visit by President Thein Sein, officials and residents said.
With attacks reported in several villages on the outskirts of Thandwe, where tensions have been mounting for days, the number of causalities could rise. More than 700 rioters, some swinging swords, took to the streets in Thabyuchaing, about 20 kilometers (12 miles) north of the coastal town, on Tuesday afternoon, police officer Kyaw Naing said. An elderly Muslim woman died from stab wounds in the clashes that followed, the officer said, putting the number of houses set on fire at between 70 and 80. Smoldering buildings - and several injured Buddhist Rakhines - were seen by The Associated Press in Shwe Hlay. A police officer, speaking on condition of anonymity because he did not have authority to talk to the media, said Linthi also was hit by rioters. Both villages are about 17 kilometers (10 miles) from Thandwe.

The visit by Preisdent Thein Sein to the divided region was his first since sectarian violence broke out more than a year ago. He arrived in the Rakhine state capital of Sittwe under tight security early Tuesday and was scheduled to travel to several more towns, including Maungdaw to the north and, on Wednesday, Thandwe to the south, said a senior official in the president's office, declining to be identified because he was not authorized to speak about the sensitive trip. He said Thein Sein "is going there to help find a long-term solution to the problem" and would meet with government officials and residents. A heavy security presence failed to deter the attackers, however, with witnesses saying soldiers and police made no efforts to step in. A 6 p.m. curfew was imposed.

34de0866-a8c7-4100-90b4-d483e71a97fd-big.jpg

An injured Rakhine man, right, is helped to go to hospital in Thandwe, Rakhine State, western Myanmar. Buddhist mobs killed a 94-year-old Muslim woman and torched more than 70 homes on Tuesday as sectarian violence again gripped Myanmar's Rakhine state despite a visit by President Thein Sein, officials and residents said.

Sectarian clashes that began in Rakhine in June 2012 have since morphed into an anti-Muslim campaign that has spread to towns and villages nationwide. So far, more than 240 people have been killed and more than 140,000 have fled their homes, the vast majority of them Muslims. Thein Sein, who has been praised for making moves to transition from half a century of harsh military rule, has been criticized for failing to contain the unrest and protect the country's embattled Muslim minority. Many of those targeted so far have been ethnic Rohingya Muslims, considered by many in the country to be illegal migrants from Bangladesh, though many of their families arrived generations ago. But in the latest flare-up, the victims were Kamans, another Muslim minority group, whose citizenship is recognized.

MORE

Rohingyas puttin' together a militant force...

Menace or myth, Myanmar frets over Rohingya militant group
Sun Nov 30, 2014 - The fence stretches as far as the eye can see, its concrete pillars carrying coils of barbed wire across the mountains and marshes of western Myanmar.
Beyond the fence, on the far bank of the Naf River, is a ragged horizon of mangroves: Bangladesh. There, say Myanmar officials, lurks the armed militant group the fence was partly designed to keep out. The Rohingya Solidarity Organisation (RSO) takes its name from the mostly stateless Muslim minority living in Myanmar's troubled Rakhine State. Myanmar officials blame it for recent attacks here and believe it could foment more violence. Most experts believe the RSO barely exists, with some saying it's being used to further oppress the Rohingya, who often live under apartheid-like conditions with little or no access to schools, jobs or healthcare. Tens of thousands of Rohingya have fled the region by boat since 2012, after violent clashes with ethnic Rakhine Buddhists killed hundreds and displaced 140,000 people, mostly Rohingya.

r

A wanted poster featuring four Rohingya Solidary Organisation (RSO) suspects is displayed on a check point secured by policemen and soldiers in outskirts of Naypyitaw

The RSO is "essentially defunct as an armed organisation", said the International Crisis Group, a Brussels-based think tank, in an October report. The RSO was set up in the early 1980s in the wake of a large-scale operation by the Myanmar military that drove about 200,000 Rohingya over the border into mainly Muslim Bangladesh. Until the 1990s, a small number of militants trained at remote RSO bases in Bangladesh opposite Myanmar's Maungdaw district. Myanmar officials blame the RSO for a series of deadly incursions in northern Rakhine State, including an attack on May 17 that killed four members of Myanmar's Border Guard Police. Also jangling official nerves are threats against Myanmar by much more formidable militant groups.

In July, Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi told followers to "take revenge" against Myanmar and other countries where Muslims were abused. Then, in September, Al Qaeda leader Ayman al Zawahri announced the formation of an Indian branch that would "raise the flag of jihad" across the subcontinent, including Myanmar. Within weeks, Myanmar's deputy home affairs minister, Brigadier General Kyaw Zan Myint, told parliament an extra 39 billion kyat ($38 million) was needed for Rakhine security, most of it earmarked to extend the fence. If approved, this would constitute a doubling of the state's security budget of nearly 38 billion kyat.

VILLAGE CELLS

Burma can solve the problem the same way that muslim Indonesia, and muslim
Saudi Arabia, and muslim Maldives---solved the sectarian issue--------
simply OUT LAW ISLAM muslim Indonesia has outlawed Judaism, and muslim Maldives and muslim Saudi Arabia has outlawed EVERYTHING other than islam

simply OUT LAW ISLAM muslim Indonesia has outlawed Judaism, and muslim Maldives and muslim Saudi Arabia has outlawed EVERYTHING other than islam

We cannot justify one bigotry based on another bigotry. But one thing I do find interesting is that the world does not take note of bigotry committed by Islamic nations. I guess it is so common that world kind of expects this from Islamic nations.

We cannot justify one bigotry based on another bigotry. But one thing I do find interesting is that the world does not take note of bigotry committed by Islamic nations. I guess it is so common that world kind of expects this from Islamic nations.

yes----the whole world is "DESENSITIZED" to Islamic barbarity-----sorry Vik-----I
do not want to hurt you------but I first noticed it LONG LONG ago----when I was young---(and beautiful) and worked with lots of medical school graduates from
mostly Pakistan and India-------the hindus seemed to simply accept the fact that
the muslims treated them with disdain. ------sorry vik------they kinda giggled it off----
now for one of my silly stories. An indian muslim showed me a picture ---
a girl dressed up like a Pakistani muslim girl--------I commented-----innocent that I
was-----"I like those saris better"----_SHEEEESH he actually got angry. -------lots more silly stories-----but that one was my first clue--------of that sense of SUPREMACY
----a very trivial clue-----to what was to COME-----ie the GLORIOUS
MUGHAL EMPIRE ....crap

yes----the whole world is "DESENSITIZED" to Islamic barbarity-----sorry Vik-----I
do not want to hurt you------but I first noticed it LONG LONG ago----when I was young---(and beautiful) and worked with lots of medical school graduates from
mostly Pakistan and India-------the hindus seemed to simply accept the fact that
the muslims treated them with disdain. ------sorry vik------they kinda giggled it off----
now for one of my silly stories. An indian muslim showed me a picture ---
a girl dressed up like a Pakistani muslim girl--------I commented-----innocent that I
was-----"I like those saris better"----_SHEEEESH he actually got angry. -------lots more silly stories-----but that one was my first clue--------of that sense of SUPREMACY
----a very trivial clue-----to what was to COME-----ie the GLORIOUS
MUGHAL EMPIRE ....crap

I am not offended at all. It is what it is. Hindus (and Buddhists) are indeed the most pacifist people I have ever seen. Hindus will either learn to adopt to the reality of the world or they will become extinct. It is that simple. Anyway, this thread is not about Hindus so let us keep them out of here. This thread is about the problem of growing Muslim militancy in Myanmar.

New Topics

Forum List

Back