Muslim Brotherhood wrestling control in Egypt

Bosun

Jan 22, 2011
Underground Bunker Mojave Desert
Qaradawi addresses huge crowd in Cairo, bans Leftist uprising leader Ghonim from stage

Prominent cleric Sheik Youssef el-Qaradawi, who is linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, led the crowd in prayers, proclaiming, “The revolution is not over, until we have a new Egypt.’’

Last edited:
the chickens have come home to roost. in other news, iran given permission to transit suez....
picture.php

Egypt to Let Iran Warships Transit Suez Canal on Way to SyriaFeb. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Egypt yesterday approved a request by Iran to send two warships through the Suez Canal on their way to Syria, a move that has ratcheted up Middle East…

Last edited:
How I wish to hear some good news from Egypt. The last thing I heard was kind of disturbing when it's supposed to be a good one. I'm talking about the sexual assault happened to lara logan. Over the weekend, CBS news released a statement that their press reporter, Lara Logan, had been assaulted while reporting in Egypt. Here is the proof: Nir Rosen resigns after remarks about CBS reporter Lara Logan Rosen, a fellow reporter, has been forced to resign his position at NYU over comments he made regarding Logan. Nir Rosen has since apologized to Lara Logan, but the damage from his remarks seems to be done.

The MB are well placed to take a substantial role - if not full control - in an Egyptian government. It's very likely that, should they win control, Egypt will end up like Iran. That is not good for the Egyptian people, and it is not good for the rest of the world.

Qaradawi addresses huge crowd in Cairo, bans Leftist uprising leader Ghonim from stage

Prominent cleric Sheik Youssef el-Qaradawi, who is linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, led the crowd in prayers, proclaiming, “The revolution is not over, until we have a new Egypt.’’

Interesting opinion here:

Democracy is a Relative Term <Human Events

[SNIP]
"That’s why Mohammad-Javad Larijani, secretary-general of the ironically named Iranian High Council for Human Rights, was able to express unqualified support for the Egyptian uprising: “In my opinion, the Islamic Republic of Iran should see these events without exception in a positive light.” He characterized the already-toppled Ben Ali government in Tunisia as “anti-Islamic,” and predicted that soon Tunisians would have a “people’s government.” And in Egypt, Larijani said, “Muslims are more active in political agitation and, God willing, they will establish the regime that they want.”

The regime they want, by all indications, is an Islamic one. A Kerensky-style interregnum featuring an uneasy democratic coalition enjoying little popular support may follow Mubarak, or the military may clamp down entirely on the protests. But if the Egyptian people are allowed to express their will, almost certainly an Islamic regime will follow—with consequences that should give even Tony Blair reason to regret his enthusiasm."

[/SNIP]

Egypt is a very westernized country, many of its people travel abroad, and certainly many have strong family connections to England. They do not want an 'Islamic' state.... but I fear that is what they will end up with. The next 'free' election they have may well be the only 'free' election they ever have.

No doubt truthmatters will be along shortly to accuse me of fear mongering and 'hating' democracy.

Egypt is a very westernized country, many of its people travel abroad, and certainly many have strong family connections to England. They do not want an 'Islamic' state.... but I fear that is what they will end up with. The next 'free' election they have may well be the only 'free' election they ever have.

No doubt truthmatters will be along shortly to accuse me of fear mongering and 'hating' democracy.
this has been my concern all along

It's been the concern of anyone with the ability to think. Even when an internationally renowned expert (Professor Ferguson, Harvard, Oxford and the LSE) spoke about this scenario, the rabid lefties attacked him as a 'far right' extremist. Morons. Seems to me the 'fear mongering' is a standard tactic for the left. Perhaps they do it so often that they don't even know they're doing it? :lol:

It's been the concern of anyone with the ability to think. Even when an internationally renowned expert (Professor Ferguson, Harvard, Oxford and the LSE) spoke about this scenario, the rabid lefties attacked him as a 'far right' extremist. Morons. Seems to me the 'fear mongering' is a standard tactic for the left. Perhaps they do it so often that they don't even know they're doing it? :lol:
thats nothing new
i can remember the fear mongering crap they did back in the 70's

Not only is it a tactic, they project what they do themselves upon others. Honesty isn't something they are aquainted with. It's their bane of existence.

Not only is it a tactic, they project what they do themselves upon others. Honesty isn't something they are aquainted with. It's their bane of existence.

I was about to respond that I think both sides are guilty of that, but - when I tried to think of an example from the right - I couldn't think of one. :confused:

When Ferguson slaughtered the MSNBC pundits with his interview, the lefties on the board attacked Ferguson. Pathetic. Even pointing out that he's well respected internationally is meaningless to them. Bet if he's agreed with Obama, he'd be hailed as the most intelligent man on earth and they'd accuse the right of 'hating' the smart guy.

I was about to respond that I think both sides are guilty of that, but - when I tried to think of an example from the right - I couldn't think of one. :confused:

When Ferguson slaughtered the MSNBC pundits with his interview, the lefties on the board attacked Ferguson. Pathetic. Even pointing out that he's well respected internationally is meaningless to them. Bet if he's agreed with Obama, he'd be hailed as the most intelligent man on earth and they'd accuse the right of 'hating' the smart guy.
you know rdean would
LOL
and a few others too

I am sad for them. I to fear that they have won their freedom from one dictator only to elect a worse one. This is shades of Iran all over again.

I am sad for them. I to fear that they have won their freedom from one dictator only to elect a worse one. This is shades of Iran all over again.
yup
and if they do, it will be yet more proof that Obama is out of his league

yup

Power vacuums are never good. A good rule of thumb is the ones who want power are the very ones you should shun.

There isnt much obama can do. Its not his/our country. This will be up to the Egyptians to say who they want ...good or bad... Just like us.

yup

Power vacuums are never good. A good rule of thumb is the ones who want power are the very ones you should shun.

There isnt much obama can do. Its not his/our country. This will be up to the Egyptians to say who they want ...good or bad... Just like us.
his sending the mixed messages didnt help anything
just like he condemns the reactions in Iran and ignores the very same thing in Bahrain

edit to add:

it seems he didnt ignore it, but fell far short of condemning it

Last edited:
yup

his sending the mixed messages didnt help anything
just like he condemns the reactions in Iran and ignores the very same thing in Bahrain

He's in a very difficult position with Bahrain.... however, the Administration has voiced it's support of the people's right to protest. The problem, of course, is that Bahrain is a strong ally to the US and is home to large US Navy presence.

Forum List

Back