Muslim American Arrested in a Terrorist Plot

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I know lefties will shrug this off because no one got hurt and plan never materialized, but this is a REAL threat and a REAL danger. This so called US citizen wanted to harm Americans via death and fear!

I know people like Strollingbones will blame this on the Jews, but this could have been a different story and tradgic story and people need to recognize that.

Prosecutors: Ex-Ga. Tech student was budding terrorist, hoped to join terror group overseas
Prosecutors: College student was budding terrorist

ATLANTA — The videos are choppy and grainy, and some are just a few seconds long. Many were shot through an open window, and the herky-jerky technique was, at best, headache-inducing.

As basic as they are, the dozens of videos that Syed Haris Ahmed and a friend made during a 2005 road trip to Washington, D.C. are the centerpiece to a federal terrorism trial that began Monday against the 24-year-old former Georgia Tech student.

Prosecutors contend the videos, which include shots of the Pentagon and the Capitol, were not meant to be sophisticated but instead a way for Ahmed and Ehsanul Islam Sadequee to earn respect from overseas terrorist leaders.

“Look what I can get you,” Robert McBurney, assistant U.S. attorney, characterized Ahmed as saying. “I can get right up next to the Capitol.”

The clips, as well as Ahmed’s attempts to connect with terrorists in Canada and Pakistan, are at the center of federal charges that Ahmed provided support for acts of terrorism in the U.S. and abroad. He could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

McBurney conceded that investigators had no evidence Ahmed was trying to act on the talk. But he contended the government had to nab Ahmed before he went any further because he was “one step removed from the bomb-throwers.”

Ahmed's most outspoken statement, though, was a silent one: He refused to rise when the judge entered the courtroom.

Federal authorities say they began building a case after the pair — both U.S. citizens who grew up in the Atlanta area — took a bus to Toronto in March 2005 and met with at least three other targets of an FBI investigation.

Authorities say they brainstormed strikes against targets that ranged from military bases to oil refineries, and plotted to disrupt the Global Positioning System satellite network.

Prosecutors, however, say Ahmed wanted to translate his plot into action. They contend he drove his pickup truck to Washington with Sadequee a few weeks later and made the videos of Washington landmarks, as well as the fuel depot and a Masonic Temple in northern Virginia. The two also were accused of discussing an attack against Dobbins Air Reserve Base just outside Atlanta.

He took another step toward acting on his plot, McBurney said, when he traveled to Pakistan on a one-way ticket in July 2005 to seek out Lashkar-e-Taiba, a Pakistan-based group linked with attacks in the disputed state of Kashmir.
He returned to Atlanta about a month later after abandoning his attempt to join the group. But McBurney said Ahmed began to regret his decision soon after he arrived home.

“The ultimate goal was to get into a training camp,” he said, “and pursue violent jihad.”

I know lefties will shrug this off because no one got hurt and plan never materialized, but this is a REAL threat and a REAL danger. This so called US citizen wanted to harm Americans via death and fear!

I know people like Strollingbones will blame this on the Jews, but this could have been a different story and tradgic story and people need to recognize that.

Prosecutors: Ex-Ga. Tech student was budding terrorist, hoped to join terror group overseas
Prosecutors: College student was budding terrorist

ATLANTA — The videos are choppy and grainy, and some are just a few seconds long. Many were shot through an open window, and the herky-jerky technique was, at best, headache-inducing.

As basic as they are, the dozens of videos that Syed Haris Ahmed and a friend made during a 2005 road trip to Washington, D.C. are the centerpiece to a federal terrorism trial that began Monday against the 24-year-old former Georgia Tech student.

Prosecutors contend the videos, which include shots of the Pentagon and the Capitol, were not meant to be sophisticated but instead a way for Ahmed and Ehsanul Islam Sadequee to earn respect from overseas terrorist leaders.

“Look what I can get you,” Robert McBurney, assistant U.S. attorney, characterized Ahmed as saying. “I can get right up next to the Capitol.”

The clips, as well as Ahmed’s attempts to connect with terrorists in Canada and Pakistan, are at the center of federal charges that Ahmed provided support for acts of terrorism in the U.S. and abroad. He could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

McBurney conceded that investigators had no evidence Ahmed was trying to act on the talk. But he contended the government had to nab Ahmed before he went any further because he was “one step removed from the bomb-throwers.”

Ahmed's most outspoken statement, though, was a silent one: He refused to rise when the judge entered the courtroom.

Federal authorities say they began building a case after the pair — both U.S. citizens who grew up in the Atlanta area — took a bus to Toronto in March 2005 and met with at least three other targets of an FBI investigation.

Authorities say they brainstormed strikes against targets that ranged from military bases to oil refineries, and plotted to disrupt the Global Positioning System satellite network.

Prosecutors, however, say Ahmed wanted to translate his plot into action. They contend he drove his pickup truck to Washington with Sadequee a few weeks later and made the videos of Washington landmarks, as well as the fuel depot and a Masonic Temple in northern Virginia. The two also were accused of discussing an attack against Dobbins Air Reserve Base just outside Atlanta.

He took another step toward acting on his plot, McBurney said, when he traveled to Pakistan on a one-way ticket in July 2005 to seek out Lashkar-e-Taiba, a Pakistan-based group linked with attacks in the disputed state of Kashmir.
He returned to Atlanta about a month later after abandoning his attempt to join the group. But McBurney said Ahmed began to regret his decision soon after he arrived home.

“The ultimate goal was to get into a training camp,” he said, “and pursue violent jihad.”

Hook...look i have problems with small print...can you at least make the words readable WITHOUT a Magnifying glass.....thanks....

Forum List

Back