muskrat babies

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
Yesterday our neighbor raked the hay and started baling it. Hos found a dead critter about twenty feet from the pond. So I'm looking at this mangled little thing that looks something like a rat but it has a short tail. Not sure what it is and telling Hos ucky so he'll leave it be. As most of you know since I put pics up we have hundreds of new baby toads all over. I've been rescuing them from the lawn mower every time I see them. I'm thinking as the neighbor is running this big machine next to the yard that my baby toads are history if they get in the path of this thing. So I go looking close by to see if there are any little toads I should put over near the area that does not get mowed..

I see something moving across the area that has just been baled. It is about an inch long with a short tail. I set my foot in it's path before it goes into the next area about to be baled. Reach down and pick it up by the tail. It squeaks at me. After closer inspection I see this thing does not even have it's eyes open. So I carry it over to where we're sitting and put it in a container. Walk back over to where I found the little critter and see another one scrambling toward the next row of hay to be baled. I reach down pick it up and look to see if there are anymore of these little guys. I don't see anymore.

Now I have two little critters with their eyes not open yet and I'm looking at these little guys trying to determine what they are for sure. Rod's telling me I'm stealing food from the birds by saving these little guys from the hay baler. I give him my disgusted look and tell him tough shit for the birds.

I take them in he house make them some milk replacement and these hungry squeakers slurp up about a dropper full between them. Made them a little furry bed, do the mommy thing for them with a paper towel and start looking for where to send to muskrat babies too. I can only find one reference on the Internet nearby so I email them....have not heard back from them yet. I looked and they seem okay still this morning. I'll snap a pic for y'all after awhile.

call your vet and see what kinda milk replacement is best for them...did you look about for a wildlife rescue org. in your area? they will take the babies in and raise them and release them...

call your vet and see what kinda milk replacement is best for them...did you look about for a wildlife rescue org. in your area? they will take the babies in and raise them and release them...
Did that waiting to hear back from them.

Forum List

Back