Musings On The Employment Problem: 2018

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
Having had a rash of personnel problems during the busiest time at the restaurant(one girl walked into work and proclaimed she didn’t feel like working so she up and left, another on a Friday night just didn’t show up, no phone call no nothing, etc.) I have been reflecting on just why this kind of behavior has become so commonplace. Most of my thoughts are maybe more cultural than economic, but the end result is the effect of employees on the economy. It is a simplistic threesome. Who wants to read a tome?

Lack of work ethic: The slow erosion of this virtue is like water dripping on a rock. It is a generality. There are many who don’t lack this quality in any way. This quality has been part of the American tapestry since way before the country was founded. It has been critical to our success as a nation. Today there is no shame to not working, doing sloppy work, failing to be responsible to your employer, or having a lousy work reputation. There is a lack of pride. I suspect the disintegration of the family unit, welfare, victimology, and a general lack,of accountability are responsible for the decline. Anyone lacking a good work ethic will not make a good employee or a good citizen. Having a good work ethic is not quaint, it is a timeless attribute that makes any person a more productive and contributing individual.

Drugs: I have to wonder if I have to say any more. They aren’t recreational anymore, they have become a lifestyle. If we gave all ou employees a drug test we wouldn’t have any employees. Meth is really rampant in our neighborhood, heroin rules at the shrimp docks. Drugs break down people’s self worth. They create a safe place to go when you can’t deal with the world or maybe more important when you are bored by the world. Drugs can take a person with a work ethic and castrate them. They make that person inconsistent, irresponsible, and unsure of themselves. This leads to lying,lying lying. Much has already been said. Suffice it to say, drugs and employment don’t go well together.

Cell phones: The single greatest contributor to workplace inefficiency is the cell phone. Employees can’t tend to their job when they are carrying a phone in their pocket. Facebook is as addictive as heroin, without the side effects. Too many people, especially young people can’t put the phone into perspective. The phone is more important to their life than their job. Additionally, the phone becomes a conduit for job bashing. The phone makes it easy for your former workmate to tell you that you don’t need that job, you can get a better one, and most are so naive they buy it. Most will say the genie is out of the bottle, but without an ability to control your communication device instead of it controlling you, you cannot be a good employee.

I do not know how to solve these three problems, but until we address them the quality of our workforce will decline, and income disparity will become greater.

I did drugs from seventeen to forty-nine and never had a problem working, school, kids etc, etc...In fact I'd like to do some now...

Are we seeing the failure of parents over the last 20-30 years to discipline, set boundaries and set expectations? Was it wise to give a 10 year old a cell phone and allow them to play hyper violent hyper intense first person shooter games as much as they want? The grip that social media and gaming has on the young is frightening. It is electronic addiction as powerful as a narcotic.

Entitled, lazy addicts make lousy employees. I know a construction guy who told me he has to go through 5 or 6 guys before he can find one that is reliable and maybe 10 guys to find one that is reliable AND actually good at what he does. Those aren't very good odds.

Are we seeing the failure of parents over the last 20-30 years to discipline, set boundaries and set expectations? Was it wise to give a 10 year old a cell phone and allow them to play hyper violent hyper intense first person shooter games as much as they want? The grip that social media and gaming has on the young is frightening. It is electronic addiction as powerful as a narcotic.

Entitled, lazy addicts make lousy employees. I know a construction guy who told me he has to go through 5 or 6 guys before he can find one that is reliable and maybe 10 guys to find one that is reliable AND actually good at what he does. Those aren't very good odds.
Mine eldest is 34 and drives a truck for a living, drinks beer and whiskey and occasionally smokes a pipe. But he still plays the first person shooter games as does his other two brothers and sister, and they work also except for the youngest his job is to pass school. But the kids from my generation are not near as wild and reckless as we learned to be before cell phones, the internet or cable TV...

Not everyone was a stud muffin like I in construction and they did not have the ability to mass produce, I came to accept that fact and could not expect them to work at my pace, such is life..I had to have helpers and apprentices..

Having had a rash of personnel problems during the busiest time at the restaurant(one girl walked into work and proclaimed she didn’t feel like working so she up and left, another on a Friday night just didn’t show up, no phone call no nothing, etc.) I have been reflecting on just why this kind of behavior has become so commonplace. Most of my thoughts are maybe more cultural than economic, but the end result is the effect of employees on the economy. It is a simplistic threesome. Who wants to read a tome?

Lack of work ethic: The slow erosion of this virtue is like water dripping on a rock. It is a generality. There are many who don’t lack this quality in any way. This quality has been part of the American tapestry since way before the country was founded. It has been critical to our success as a nation. Today there is no shame to not working, doing sloppy work, failing to be responsible to your employer, or having a lousy work reputation. There is a lack of pride. I suspect the disintegration of the family unit, welfare, victimology, and a general lack,of accountability are responsible for the decline. Anyone lacking a good work ethic will not make a good employee or a good citizen. Having a good work ethic is not quaint, it is a timeless attribute that makes any person a more productive and contributing individual.

Drugs: I have to wonder if I have to say any more. They aren’t recreational anymore, they have become a lifestyle. If we gave all ou employees a drug test we wouldn’t have any employees. Meth is really rampant in our neighborhood, heroin rules at the shrimp docks. Drugs break down people’s self worth. They create a safe place to go when you can’t deal with the world or maybe more important when you are bored by the world. Drugs can take a person with a work ethic and castrate them. They make that person inconsistent, irresponsible, and unsure of themselves. This leads to lying,lying lying. Much has already been said. Suffice it to say, drugs and employment don’t go well together.

Cell phones: The single greatest contributor to workplace inefficiency is the cell phone. Employees can’t tend to their job when they are carrying a phone in their pocket. Facebook is as addictive as heroin, without the side effects. Too many people, especially young people can’t put the phone into perspective. The phone is more important to their life than their job. Additionally, the phone becomes a conduit for job bashing. The phone makes it easy for your former workmate to tell you that you don’t need that job, you can get a better one, and most are so naive they buy it. Most will say the genie is out of the bottle, but without an ability to control your communication device instead of it controlling you, you cannot be a good employee.

I do not know how to solve these three problems, but until we address them the quality of our workforce will decline, and income disparity will become greater.

I think the decline in work ethic, particularly in our younger working generation, has to do with motivation and reward. Growing up in the 70's everyone around me seemed to take pride in having a job simply because of that: having a job. Nowadays kids seem to expect some kind of reward just for showing up. Their work ethic seems to be based on what they plan to purchase with their earnings--motivation, and benefits of working hard for that something versus flaking out, losing their job, and being afford it.

There's also less respect for authority and a seeming belief authority can be subverted or neutralized with political correctness.

In between duty with the national guard a few years back I worked as a production supervisor for a medical device manufacturer. Had several employees who always showed up at the same time, daily, without fail. Problem was, that time was half an hour late. I never could wrap my mind around the concept of making it in to work consistently, but late. Not a one of them could find fault in their chronic tardiness.

Going further off the above concept, younger workers seem to feel some inherent sense of entitlement as described above, but even more deeply held--almost as if society owed them spending money and a living from birth. Many of them also want to rise up through the ranks without serving time their work place forbears served to earn promotion.

At any rate, fixing the deteriorating neo-work ethic could be about proper motivation, removing enabling support systems, perhaps even better economics education in public schools. Even requirement of a license to work one could earn by completing work ethics courses.

People often think that earning little money is reason not to work hard. Can't really blame them, though I worked in restaurants when I was younger and some of the full time staff there were absolute morons.

But then they were doing these minimum wage jobs because they're morons.

ARE you sure it is NOT your Work Place,You Claim There Has Been A Rash !!!!!!!! Well your staff may have BEEN INFECTED WITH THE CLAP or some other STD...THIS CAN BE RESOLVED I BELIEVE BY ANTI-BIOTICS OR WASHING CONTAMINATED COCK...just sayin

Moreover your Monika(SHRIMPBOX) does leave me wondering,especially if you are a woman or a bit of an old woman

Last edited:
I am no stranger to drugs, but I was taught you don’t come to work stoned or drunk or unclean. And I don’t care if you don’t like working for me, that’s fine, just give some kind of heads up and a few days notice. It always is claimed that the employers don’t do enough, don’t pay enough, don’t provide this or that but the employees seem to have less and less that they are accountable for. Lately we find that the employees think they are the boss. My wife has to tell all of them that she needs them to work when she needs them to work, not when they want to work.

In the restaurant business you either have it or you don’t. You can either work under pressure or you can’t. There is no gray area. But the complaints about labor cross all industries. People who had the work and would like to expand can’t because they can’t find any good help. It is an epidemic. I would agree this is something that should be taught at home, too often now, it just isn’t.

As I completed my career in engineering, I saw a complete shift in the attitudes of the entry level engineer. When I came in, there was no mentoring program, no extensive training programs, just a lot of work to do with little guidance. Add to that the general nastiness of experienced engineers who resented us young college punks making near what they were making due to the hiring boom in the early 80s. Good times! Now the majority of entry level engineers expect mentoring, expect to be guided by a senior engineer, expect training programs. There were exceptions and it was a pleasure to work with some truly dedicated and talented young guns, but I only came across a few like that.

I am no stranger to drugs, but I was taught you don’t come to work stoned or drunk or unclean. And I don’t care if you don’t like working for me, that’s fine, just give some kind of heads up and a few days notice. It always is claimed that the employers don’t do enough, don’t pay enough, don’t provide this or that but the employees seem to have less and less that they are accountable for. Lately we find that the employees think they are the boss. My wife has to tell all of them that she needs them to work when she needs them to work, not when they want to work.

In the restaurant business you either have it or you don’t. You can either work under pressure or you can’t. There is no gray area. But the complaints about labor cross all industries. People who had the work and would like to expand can’t because they can’t find any good help. It is an epidemic. I would agree this is something that should be taught at home, too often now, it just isn’t.
I employ over 300 team members,all outstanding people.our retention of staff is so important to our business,considering how much training they need.but they give so much ...You problem is your structure and ability to get the right people,your general attitude is poor,I wouldn't work for you nor would I give you a job.
You clearly do not agenda loyalty mainly due I would imagine to your lack of real consistency,your feeling that you are doing any employee a favour,giving them a job and paying them a pittance.

Here in Australia we have a saying when things go wrong "That a Fish Stinks at the Head First"...Shrimpbox you are that head,,,but things can be greatly improved
Firstly you sound tired and drained...business can do that to you, learn to take breaks with your wife throughout the year (a business will still carry on even when we are dead,my friend)

Employing Staff...Don't be Passive...people need to work to keep the $'s rolling in but also for the good friends and bosses at work...this is a great advantage to the employer...run a happy ship and that Shrimpbox will always be full....run a miserable one and it's death.

We had a young boy who was still at school,his family were not well off,who did odd jobs on a Saturday...a bright and happy boy,staff loved him their work rate went up quite considerably...we put him through Uni and through his personal intelligence and considerable effort is one of the top Judges in the Land...but he tells me (I catch up with him every couple of months)....the most important lesson he learn't with us was detail and completing any job properly and effiently.sic....Get local families all ages for your business,they, over a sustained period of time give you a trail of good employees,and any employee that leaves,still be nice to them no matter what...to the lazy and disruptive employee...you have to learn to sack/fire them in a kindly way...NEVER IN FRONT OF STAFF...you just take them aside and just say THIS IS JUST NOT WORKING AND I JUST HAVE TO LET YOU GO.....after a warning or so.

Good Luck...you know what it's like to have a well run,smoothly run profitable business...Fcuk it think your starting over again and bring back the Excitement Again....The only Epedemic is in your head...Good Luck steve

Last edited:

When you advertise on Craigslist that's what you end up with.

Hiring takes money and the right hiring takes expertise. That's what I do and I have a less than 1% turnover.

I employ over 300 team members,all outstanding people.our retention of staff is so important to our business,considering how much training they need.but they give so much ...You problem is your structure and ability to get the right people,your general attitude is poor,I wouldn't work for you nor would I give you a job.
You clearly do not agenda loyalty mainly due I would imagine to your lack of real consistency,your feeling that you are doing any employee a favour,giving them a job and paying them a pittance.

Here in Australia we have a saying when things go wrong "That a Fish Stinks at the Head First"...Shrimpbox you are that head,,,but things can be greatly improved
Firstly you sound tired and drained...business can do that to you, learn to take breaks with your wife throughout the year (a business will still carry on even when we are dead,my friend)

Employing Staff...Don't be Passive...people need to work to keep the $'s rolling in but also for the good friends and bosses at work...this is a great advantage to the employer...run a happy ship and that Shrimpbox will always be full....run a miserable one and it's death.

We had a young boy who was still at school,his family were not well off,who did odd jobs on a Saturday...a bright and happy boy,staff loved him their work rate went up quite considerably...we put him through Uni and through his personal intelligence and considerable effort is one of the top Judges in the Land...but he tells me (I catch up with him every couple of months)....the most important lesson he learn't with us was detail and completing any job properly and effiently.sic....Get local families all ages for your business,they, over a sustained period of time give you a trail of good employees,and any employee that leaves,still be nice to them no matter what...to the lazy and disruptive employee...you have to learn to sack/fire them in a kindly way...NEVER IN FRONT OF STAFF...you just take them aside and just say THIS IS JUST NOT WORKING AND I JUST HAVE TO LET YOU GO.....after a warning or so.

Good Luck...you know what it's like to have a well run,smoothly run profitable business...Fcuk it think your starting over again and bring back the Excitement Again....The only Epedemic is in your head...Good Luck steve

Well Steve, thank you for your consideration. You are spot on on one point. I am exhausted and tired and so is my wife because each one of us is doing the work of three people, plus I have three boats to take care of. But I don’t think we are picking employees from the same labor pool. As far as who would work for who and who would hire who it sounds as if my independent spirit would not be a good fit in your company, which is fine with me because as Neil Young said, it doesn’t mean that much to me to mean that much to you. And I don’t really feel that lacking in business acumen as our financial decisions have been richly rewarded. Each to his own.

It is a shame you live in Australia for this reason. Since you have such a polite conceit about your strategies I would love to invite you to come to Florida and run this restaurant during June and July. You can have carte Blanche and run it any way you want. You can keep all the profit while you are straightening out the business. The only hitch is that you can only hire people from this county. Maybe I could even learn something.

I have to hand it to you Steve. For such a put down you at least let me land on an air bag. Touche

Good Luck...you know what it's like to have a well run,smoothly run profitable business...Fcuk it think your starting over again and bring back the Excitement Again....The only Epidemic is in your head...Good Luck steve

Well Steve, thank you for your consideration. You are spot on on one point. I am exhausted and tired and so is my wife because each one of us is doing the work of three people, plus I have three boats to take care of. But I don’t think we are picking employees from the same labor pool. As far as who would work for who and who would hire who it sounds as if my independent spirit would not be a good fit in your company, which is fine with me because as Neil Young said, it doesn’t mean that much to me to mean that much to you. And I don’t really feel that lacking in business acumen as our financial decisions have been richly rewarded. Each to his own.

It is a shame you live in Australia for this reason. Since you have such a polite conceit about your strategies I would love to invite you to come to Florida and run this restaurant during June and July. You can have carte Blanche and run it any way you want. You can keep all the profit while you are straightening out the business. The only hitch is that you can only hire people from this county. Maybe I could even learn something.

I have to hand it to you Steve. For such a put down you at least let me land on an air bag. Touche
Hi Shrimpie,it was No Put down from my side...I just wanted to stir your blood up a bit,and get the Oxygen roaming the body...like a good run does Adrenalin RUSH....We all at times feel we are doing the work of others and we do...it too Pisses me off...trouble is it is a negative thought pattern and a waste of time..I have always had this theory that 10% of the population keeps the other 90% in employment but so what...…. You and I would rather be in our position than working for others

Two things,Get a Great Manager youngish woman or guy...pay them well...this will take all the pressure off you and you wife and you will enjoy life so much more...take her somewhere nice like Australia and a bit of touchy feely along the way...LOL and Shrimpie NO FCUCING BOAT SHOWS man.LOL,LOL.

Over the years I have straighten out other businesses and the have all been successful.

OK Let's start today (With My Conceited Strategies(DO YOU KNOW I LOVE THAT),I have downloaded it for everyone to see on the Urgent Notice Board,I can SEE TEAM MEMBERS LAUGHING AT IT NOW...THANKS.

Now my Strategy For 2 Months in the other Paradise Your Resto....June and July best two months I would imagine,

OK...….Welcome to the Shrimpbox...The Shrimper and the Shrimpess are on vacation for two months...Lets Kick Up a Storm

New and Old Menu,Firstly Reef and Beef...quarter pound of Scotch Fillet with Seafood Toppings etc....but Specializing in FISH

Dress Staff in Bright Colours(what I call Ice Cream Colours as seen in the Art Deco area of Miami)…..All smiles for the Guys and Gals ALL THE TIME...tell all the staff,all tips gleaned you will or I will double it.....Cash is a great motivator and explain that the Team have a two month window to make plenty of money(Shrimp,we have people who are waiting to work for us)

At the end of the season,give the staff a party(you'll be able to afford it) as a thank you to their terrific effort...…...Also whilst I'm at it,for loyal staff Never forget their birthdays,Xmas and any births,they will be pleased you appreciate them,anyway those having Babies may wish to come back and work(see a selection of staff for the future,fill in,part time or permanent) are you getting my drift here re personnel.

Have Hire Car Company for those too drunk to drive...IT IS A SERVICE

A Lesson I never shared.....when I was 18 I went to the UK,got a job as a barman,in a Disco...I loved it plenty of chicks Yummy and Cash under the counter....anyway the boss said one night that the drink consumption was well down although the Disco was packed,very cold November evening...I told him I'd fix it...Straight down to the Boiler Room and I changed the thermostat Up Up and Up.

End of the evening he was much please as his takings were so far up...5 quid for me...I changed the thermos back before I finished for the night(early morning 3 am) next night off,following day he called for me to get in early???? got in gave me the job of running the Club,caught the manager stealing(most theft is done by staff,that I did learn) anyhow within the month I was General Manager of all his 4 Clubs,gave me a grounding of people and how to make money...steve

ps during the delightful two months in Shrimpies I did refuse to serve one couple,they were the couple you sent,to keep and eye on me and report back to your good lady and yourself...Shrimpie we had a deal NO INTERFERENCE....LOL...love you man,I think you and your Misses are Great,now rest up friend...steve...I think Youngie was on the Marrakkesh Express......Crosby STILLS,Nash and YOUNG now ya talking

Last edited:
I will be gentle,with you. You don’t have a clue. I think you have been kangarooing around a little to much and the brain has been rattled to its detriment. Sounds a little too gay to me. You have already screwed up by not knowing what your what your customer base is. It would be all downhill from here. Don’t quit your day job.

I will be gentle,with you. You don’t have a clue. I think you have been kangarooing around a little to much and the brain has been rattled to its detriment. Sounds a little too gay to me. You have already screwed up by not knowing what your what your customer base is. It would be all downhill from here. Don’t quit your day job.
O well I tried,I can see you don't like change(but I realise that I wouldn't know your client base,until I saw your business,that said neither do you or know how to motivate employees...For your myopic mind..Dr Edward Vincent Peel,(a renown American Motivational Speaker and so much more) was in Australia many moons ago,I stopped him in midstream and asked him a question,HE COULD NOT ANSWER,at the end of the conference,he offered me to join his team in America.

I have plenty of clues actually...better a kangaroo(usual Red Neck Yank,one liner,when riding for a fall,it's all shit of a ducks back,and boring...no doubt from the mouth of a mouthy Trump Lemming...you get my clues now...DUH maybe not)

You are not self made,neither do you show respect for your staff and your wife and business have suffered you have no class,just an overweight Slob,moreover you have made an enemy...Now you may PISS OFF DICK HEAD,and close the door firmly behind you,theliquidator

ps The Biggest Detriment to your Business is YOU yourself,anyhow I checked out Fathoms and Two Brothers I mistakenly thought you were on the main drag in Miami...silly me,not some backwater wooden shack...I was the wrong man to ask,Whoa,definately the wrong man and I could never have had a clue to be honest...I am far too sophisticated

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back