Musical Artists You Mourned When They Died... And The Ones You Didn't Mourn...

I was in my 'tweens when the doors were big. God, I hated them then. The revival of their music was like fingernails on a chalk board. IMHO no big loss there.

Sorry for the loss of :

Frank Sinatra (Only God can give such talent)
Dean Martin (See above)
Jimmy Ray Vaughn (Was he born with that guitar in his hands?)
BIlly Preston
Elvis Presley (So much talent - Such a tortured life, partly of his own making)
Michael Jackson (Refer above)
Louis Armstrong (Sachmo)
Count Basie (Defines American Jazz)
Glenn Miller (I wasn't even alive when he was, but I love his music)

Yes, I know that some of those I mentioned were 'natural' deaths, but there will NEVER be another Frank Sinatra. His voice was the definition of contemporary American music. Because of what he experienced, when he experienced it (vaudeville) in making him who he was there could NEVER be another. Same goes for Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. Both incredibly stupid and partly to blame for their tortured lives, but each was the definition of their type of music.

Not sorry for:

Any rapper that goes as a result of violence or drug use
Jimmy Hendrixs (stupid - such a waste of talent)
Janis Joplin (Very Stupid - another waste of talent)
Jim Morrison (Defines Stupid AND no talent)
Whitney Houston (Doing drugs with Bobby Brown! And the results surprise people? Really??)
Kurt Cobain

I was in my 'tweens when the doors were big. God, I hated them then. The revival of their music was like fingernails on a chalk board. IMHO no big loss there.

Yes, I know that some of those I mentioned were 'natural' deaths, but there will NEVER be another Frank Sinatra. His voice was the definition of contemporary American music. Because of what he experienced, when he experienced it (vaudeville) in making him who he was there could NEVER be another. Same goes for Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. Both incredibly stupid and partly to blame for their tortured lives, but each was the definition of their type of music.

talk about nails on a chalk board....

WHAT????

Sinatra is unbelievably good. He didn't have the very best voice in popular music (Tony Bennett and Gino Vannelli both have superior vocal chops), but he's the best singer there has ever been. Nobody could/can sing around a melody, and phrase his vocals like Frank. He was also a master of circular breathing, which let him hold notes incredibly long without having to stop and take a breath.

Here's a great example of Frank singing around a melody, and around the 2:39 mark he holds "lovely evening" to give you just a quick example of his circular breathing technique. This is really a great clip that shows him in top form.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CiizL8Vfu8]Frank Sinatra - Moonlight in Vermont with Nelson Riddle Orchestra (HQ) - YouTube[/ame]

Quothorn-
715_artist.jpg

I mourned the passing of Otis Redding (I still remember where I was when I heard Otis died...)

same with John Lennon (why'd he have to go instead of Paul...?!)

also mourned the untimely passing of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Croce, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Harrison, Frank Zappa, Eva Cassidy, Warran Zevon, others that I'm blanking on at the moment and will think of later...

didn't particularly care about the passing of Jim Morrison, Elvis Presley, James Brown, Michael Jackson, others that aren't worth the effort to try to remember...
Harrison (very much so), Vaughn (manner of death) , Lennon, Preston, Zappa, Redding. Maybe more, though I noted all the deaths listed

WHAT????

Sinatra is unbelievably good. He didn't have the very best voice in popular music (Tony Bennett and Gino Vannelli both have superior vocal chops), but he's the best singer there has ever been. Nobody could/can sing around a melody, and phrase his vocals like Frank. He was also a master of circular breathing, which let him hold notes incredibly long without having to stop and take a breath.

sorry....there were much better guys around in his day......but hey....whatever floats your boat....he sunk mine.....

George Harrison. Always been my favorite Beatle-and I think his solo work blows away all of the solo work of any of the others.

Dimebag Darrell. Very sad he went out-nobody deserves that.

Ronnie James Dio.

Big Michael Jackson fan...but honestly I wasn't surprised at all, or sad. I kind of expected it.

While many think of drugs as the reason music stars die too young, plane crashes have been a major cause of death

Glen Miller
Buddy Holly
Ritchie Valens
Big Bopper
Patsy Cline
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Otis Redding
Ricky Nelson
Jim Croce
Stevie Ray Vaughn
John Denver

Last edited:
John Lennon still tears me up.

Zappa...makes me wonder how much God really cares about us when he takes Zappa and leaves us Bruce Springstein

Tom Jobim

You do realize Jillian is going to neg you don't you?

If she doesn't, I certainly will. Springstein.... OMG.... he's hawt, he produces excellent music... and he rocks live. What's for a girl not to love? Albeit, he is an old dude... but I have a soft spot for old dudes. :eusa_shhh:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awi14wDTxNw]the doors people are strange - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back