Musical Artists You Mourned When They Died... And The Ones You Didn't Mourn...

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
I mourned the passing of Otis Redding (I still remember where I was when I heard Otis died...)

same with John Lennon (why'd he have to go instead of Paul...?!)

also mourned the untimely passing of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Croce, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Harrison, Frank Zappa, Eva Cassidy, Warran Zevon, others that I'm blanking on at the moment and will think of later...

didn't particularly care about the passing of Jim Morrison, Elvis Presley, James Brown, Michael Jackson, others that aren't worth the effort to try to remember...

Ive normed one one.

edit:

:lamo. ... ive mourned no one.

Last edited:
John Lennon still tears me up.

Zappa...makes me wonder how much God really cares about us when he takes Zappa and leaves us Bruce Springstein

Tom Jobim

Elvis...I was 8 years old and so sad when I heard the news. I had stumbled upon some of his records in my dad's collection a few years earlier and he was my first love. My grandmother had promised that when I got older she would take me to a concert. I loved watching his movies...he was such a handsome man with a devilish grin.

I mourned the passing of Otis Redding (I still remember where I was when I heard Otis died...)

also mourned the untimely passing of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Croce, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Harrison, Frank Zappa, Eva Cassidy, Warran Zevon, others that I'm blanking on at the moment and will think of later...

didn't particularly care about the passing of Jim Morrison, Elvis Presley, James Brown, Michael Jackson, others that aren't worth the effort to try to remember...

What's wrong with Jim Morrison? The Doors rocked.

Elliott Smith

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXLyRq6-pcA]Elliott Smith - Southern Belle - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afq1ddP65Bk]Elliott Smith Bottle Up and Explode - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arac_GhGxwk]Elliott Smith : Junk Bond Trader - YouTube[/ame]

Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO3Kly8Gssg]Sparklehorse - Hammering the Cramps - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CKelpRQxfc]Sparklehorse Painbirds - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GcjQDllMOw]Sparklehorse - King of Nails - YouTube[/ame]

I used to be acquaintances with Otis Redding's sons, back when I used to play Macon, GA regularly. Nice enough guys, but boy were they burning through daddy's royalty money: they each drove a Porsche.

Mourned:

Billy Preston - BIG time.
Frank Zappa - big time.
John Lennon
Frank Sinatra - even though he was old.
Josh Clayton-Felt
George Harrison
Dee Murray
Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart)

I am very sad about Whitney, but it was not unexpected.

Not Mourned:

Michael Jackson
Tupac, Biggie Smalls, Heavy D, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Easy E . . . fuck it: ANY rapper!
Etta James, James Brown - because they were old.
Dennis Wilson
Carl Wilson
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Lynyrd Skynyrd, or however the fuck you spell it.

Your McCartney comment was not cool.

Last edited:

I used to be acquaintances with Otis Redding's sons, back when I used to play Macon, GA regularly. Nice enough guys, but boy were they burning through daddy's royalty money: they each drove a Porsche.

Mourned:

Frank Zappa - big time.
John Lennon
Josh Clayton-Felt
George Harrison
Dee Murray

Not Mourned:

Michael Jackson
Tupac, Biggie Smalls, Heavy D, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Easy E . . . fuck it: ANY rapper!
Dennis Wilson
Carl Wilson
Stevie Ray Vaughn

so the guys you did not mourn in the bolded.....was it because you did not like their music or what?....

Mourned:

Frank Zappa - big time.
John Lennon
Josh Clayton-Felt
George Harrison
Dee Murray

Not Mourned:

Michael Jackson
Dennis Wilson
Carl Wilson
Stevie Ray Vaughn

so the guys you did not mourn in the bolded.....was it because you did not like their music or what?....
People who 'have it all' and throw it away get under my skin, like MJ and Dennis Wilson. I've never liked Lynyrd Skynyrd's music (esp. 'Free Bird'), and couldn't stand their redneck image. SRV just has never been on my radar. I'm not a blues fan in the least. Great guitarist, though! When rapper thugs die by the sword that they lived by, and try to promote to impressionable kids, I kinda smile. :)

Forum List

Back