Music with a purpose. What Happened to it?

Nemo Securus

Captain Common Sense
Jun 11, 2008
The Old North State
Im curious as to why music these days seems so meaningless. The popular music on radio and television is watered down and the messages are often pointless and materialistic. What happened to people making music that spoke to its listeners? And on top of that why are the musicians seemingly less talented? At least the really popular ones are not as skilled as their forebears. :eusa_boohoo:

Today's music obviously speaks to somebody.

Maybe you're just getting older?

I remember the shift between the saccharine early 1960s pop to the "message" music of the mid and later 1960s. Not that it all went message of course, I mean there was still Snoopy and the Red Baron and a lot of other stuff by bands that sang about "lerve" but the serious stuff was anti-nuclear war and anti-Vietnam war. But those were very simple messages. Nowadays the issues are far more complex and conscience singers or bands would have a hard time working in issues concerning foreign debt or the sub-prime crisis into their songs.

But then maybe Pete Seegrer could do a reprise of "Little Houses" for the sub-prime meltdown and Bob Dylan could freshen up "Masters of War" just for BushCheney.

You're just listening to the wrong stuff. The really great music is out there but you have to go looking for it - it's not on the charts or the radio. Take Joseph Arthur, for example. There are plenty of excellent artists out there.

[youtube]3E1Aa0K0Tp0[/youtube]

[youtube]kJkOat8zTO4[/youtube]

[youtube]IrgzBaCyptQ[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
today's music is so focused around sex that nothing else seems to be on the radiowaves. the only songs ive heard recently that have to do with politics are Killa Mike's song and Big Boi...they are political songs...not about sex, for once

What about U2?
Some rap definitely has a message.
And lest we forget...Sarah McLaughlan and "In the Arms of the Angels" which she has determined is an animal rights song....

U2 came out in the eighties, Sarah Mclaughlan was like ten years ago. I mean there are a handful of people out there trying but none really have an impact. Not like John Lennon did. Even really political bands like rage against the machine, the listeners hear the songs and know the words but they don't seem to take it in like they did in the 60's. I guess its really more so a result of the youth in America's level of apathy. A lot of teens probably couldn't tell you who the presidential candidates are.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFkWPMvK9KY]YouTube - Bruce Springsteen at The O2 Arena - Rising/Last To Die[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80A32xjylqo]YouTube - Green Day - Holiday (Live)[/ame]

U2 came out in the eighties, Sarah Mclaughlan was like ten years ago. I mean there are a handful of people out there trying but none really have an impact. Not like John Lennon did. Even really political bands like rage against the machine, the listeners hear the songs and know the words but they don't seem to take it in like they did in the 60's. I guess its really more so a result of the youth in America's level of apathy. A lot of teens probably couldn't tell you who the presidential candidates are.

I tend to agree with some of that. But don't sell ALL the youth of today so short.

My 13 yo daughter and a lot of her friends HATE today's "in" bands. She about puked when she saw my Rolling Stone had the Jonas Brothers on it. She thinks My Chemical Romance, Panic at the Disco and that ilk of music are crap.

Funny, who does she like, and download on her ipod?

KISS, Zeppelin, The Clash, The Smiths, The Ramons, Judas Priest, Nirvana, The Pixies, The Police, Heart, Cheap Trick, Iron Maiden, Moterhead, Smashing Pumpkins......to name a few.......

That's my girl! :cool:

PS-She and her friend talked for hours a few nights ago about the Georgia/Russia conflict, and thinks the Olympics shouldn't be in China because of their human rights policies.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with some of that. But don't sell ALL the youth of today so short.

My 13 yo daughter and a lot of her friends HATE today's "in" bands. She about puked when she saw my Rolling Stone had the Jonas Brothers on it. She thinks My Chemical Romance, Panic at the Disco and that ilk of music are crap.

Funny, who does she like, and download on her ipod?

KISS, Zeppelin, The Clash, The Smiths, The Ramons, Judas Priest, Nirvana, The Pixies, The Police, Heart, Cheap Trick, Iron Maiden, Moterhead, Smashing Pumpkins......to name a few.......

That's my girl! :cool:

PS-She and her friend talked for hours a few nights ago about the Georgia/Russia conflict, and thinks the Olympics shouldn't be in China because of their human rights policies.

A very smart daughter you have there Echo. You raised her well. :eusa_clap:

Forum List

Back