Music Guide - Encore

Elevator music.
Seriously? What kind of social events do you go to? Or more precisely, because I really don't care what kind of events you go to, are any of them what one might call swanky, by which I mean events where the music is highly subordinate to the socializing that's happening, but that yet gives an upbeat mood to the event itself.

Maybe I should have put that as I don't think of jazz as being so bland as to call it "elevator music." Besides, isn't elevator music whatever someone decides to play in their elevator? The elevators at a major bank's London offices, for example, play a wide variety of pop music.

Last edited:
Elevator music.
Seriously? What kind of social events do you go to? Or more precisely, because I really don't care what kind of events you go to, are any of them what one might call swanky, by which I mean events where the music is highly subordinate to the socializing that's happening, but that yet gives an upbeat mood to the event itself.

Maybe I should have put that as I don't think of jazz as being so bland as to call it "elevator music." Besides, isn't elevator music whatever someone decides to play in their elevator? The elevators at a major bank's London offices, for example, play a wide variety of pop music.

You're talking about background music, more commonly known as elevator music. You are certainly allowed to enjoy any music you like. It's just a little too far to put that particular piece in the category of music by real jazz artists like Brubeck, Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, or Charlie Parker.

Elevator music.

You're talking about background music, more commonly known as elevator music. You are certainly allowed to enjoy any music you like. It's just a little too far to put that particular piece in the category of music by real jazz artists like Brubeck, Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, or Charlie Parker.
Off-topic:
It's really not about what I like; that wasn't at all the motivation behind my remarks. I like jazz, and yet's I'm not jazz aficionado. Mostly jazz is what plays as background music at events and places I go to, and it definitely features heavily at events I host. And, yes, there'll be Coltrane, Hancock, Davis, Ella and Etta, Grover, Dinah, Benson, Kenny G, Koz, Jarreau, Ponty and Brubeck and plenty of others whose stuff I don't recognize in the rotation. I have about two dozen jazz mix CDs I hired a DJ to make for me so I'd have some good background music for get togethers, "noise in the house," and parties where I didn't hire a band or DJ, and I'm not going to pretend to know even a tenth of the songs on those discs, but I like them all.

From listening to those discs it became clear to me jazz isn't a monolithic genre that has room only for a certain kind of performer and music style or that one can draw a ring around to define where exactly jazz stops and some other genre begins. Ponty is a jazz violinist and his work is every bit as much "real jazz" as is that of any of the folks you mentioned. Just what would you expect his music to sound like? It's not going to sound like horns or drums or piano or scat vocals.

As an aside, I have to say, I don't know a single musician of any caliber who'd even think of using the term "real [anything]" when describing anything having to do with another artist's work.​

Last edited:
Elevator music.

Off-topic:
It's really not about what I like; that wasn't at all the motivation behind my remarks. I like jazz, and yet's I'm not jazz aficionado. Mostly jazz is what plays as background music at events and places I go to, and it definitely features heavily at events I host. And, yes, there'll be Coltrane, Hancock, Davis, Ella and Etta, Grover, Dinah, Benson, Kenny G, Koz, Jarreau, Ponty and Brubeck and plenty of others whose stuff I don't recognize in the rotation. I have about two dozen jazz mix CDs I hired a DJ to make for me so I'd have some good background music for get togethers, "noise in the house," and parties where I didn't hire a band or DJ, and I'm not going to pretend to know even a tenth of the songs on those discs, but I like them all.

From listening to those discs it became clear to me jazz isn't a monolithic genre that has room only for a certain kind of performer and music style or that one can draw a ring around to define where exactly jazz stops and some other genre begins. Ponty is a jazz violinist and his work is every bit as much "real jazz" as is that of any of the folks you mentioned. Just what would you expect his music to sound like? It's not going to sound like horns or drums or piano or scat vocals.

As an aside, I have to say, I don't a single musician of any caliber who'd even think of using the term "real [anything]" when describing anything having to do with another artist's work.​

Well, OK...... I gave my opinion. You are certainly allowed to disagree. It's elevator music to me. I hope that doesn't ruin your day too bad.

Elevator music.

Off-topic:

As an aside, I have to say, I don't a single musician of any caliber who'd even think of using the term "real [anything]" when describing anything having to do with another artist's work.​

Well, OK...... I gave my opinion. You are certainly allowed to disagree. It's elevator music to me. I hope that doesn't ruin your day too bad.
I gave my opinion.
True that. Does thread/OP-er solicit for one? I don't really know what the thread purpose is.

Elevator music.

Off-topic:

I gave my opinion.
True that. Does thread/OP-er solicit for one? I don't really know what the thread purpose is.

If he didn't want opinions, why else would he start this thread?

Off-topic:

I gave my opinion.

If he didn't want opinions, why else would he start this thread?
Only he and the good Lord know. I've certainly created threads that don't solicit opinions.

Elevator music.

Everyone has their preferences but that's kinda rude. He is in their league, same era as Hancock, Al DiMeola, Chic Corea, Stanley Clarke, etc. and I'm sure you don't consider them elevator music.

Forum List

Back