Mushroom Cloud In North Korea

:cry:

we just pulled back in port, now they're gonna send us out again!

(if this is the real deal)

i don't see how we can just go on with business as usual when they've just proved for all to see they've got nukes (and enough to waste one on a test)

Cheers.

Great_Leader_Comrade_Kim_Jong_Il_%28122%29.jpg

NATO AIR said:
"cheers to a madman"

nice to know miss albright showed profound leadership in helping n. korea ignite an asian arms race.

yeah, Arent you just so grateful for Carter and his peace negotiations now? some peace prize.

peace talks with the n. koreans right?
i'm surprised they haven't tried to assasinate japan or s. korea's leadership like they did in the 80's.

i'm sure carter is on his way to sudan now to kow-tow with the genocide government there.

now there are claims by a US official it was no nuke blast

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/09/12/nkorea.blast/index.html

North Korea cloud 'not nuke blast'
Sunday, September 12, 2004 Posted: 0505 GMT (1305 HKT)

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- A large cloud that appeared over North Korea in satellite images several days ago was not the result of a nuclear explosion, according to a U.S. official.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency is reporting a huge explosion shook North Korea's northernmost province on Thursday producing a mushroom cloud over two miles (4 km) wide.

The blast coincided with the anniversary of North Korea's founding on Sepember 9 when various military activities are staged.

The U.S. official said the cloud could be the result of a forest fire.

South Korea's Unification Minister Chung Dong-yong said the government was aware of the reports and is checking them.

"I have no information about the size of the damage of the explosion," he said on Sunday, according to Yonhap.

Chung also said he believed there was no correlation between the explosion and reports of North Korea preparing for a possible nuclear test.

The New York Times reported on Saturday that U.S. President George W. Bush and his top advisers recently received intelligence reports that could indicate North Korea is preparing its first nuclear test, citing senior officials with access to the intelligence.

None of North Korea's known nuclear sites are in the country's northernmost provinces.

Yonhap reported the explosion happened in Yanggang province along the Chinese border, the site of Yongjori Missile Base -- a large facility with an underground missile firing range.

At least 161 people were killed in an explosion at Ryongchon Railway Station in April. It took three days for Pyongyang to break its silence on the blast.

Zhukov said:
I guess....

I'm not quite sure what would cause a 'mushroom cloud', but do know if it was radiological, at the very least, China and the US would have picked up almost immediately. Remember Chernobyl? That was how long ago? The Scandanavians, US, Germany were all telling USSR they had a problem.

Well, any large explosion will create a mushroom cloud. The explosion pushes the surrounding air away, creating a vacumn. The air then rushes back in, runs out of space, and forms a column that travels up and expands out. Voila, mushroom cloud.

I suppose a forest fire big enough to create a firestorm would create a mushroom cloud. In that instance the fire is consuming so much oxygen that it creates a pressure differential that sucks in surrounding air. Once the firestorm is powerful enough it starts sucking in more air than it can consume and you get atmospheric effects similar to the large explosion described above. Mushroom cloud.

None of that explains the "explosion" detection however.

Depending on the wind it might take a few days for radiation to be detected, but the more I think about it, this was probably neither intentional nor atomic. If they were going to test a bomb, they'd probably do it underground, which would create the seismic effects but not the cloud.

NATO AIR said:
"cheers to a madman"

nice to know miss albright showed profound leadership in helping n. korea ignite an asian arms race.

That's ridiculous. Thank Bush for throwing away a chance to stop them.

Bush is just a neocon puppet, and their agenda is a new era of US imperialism.

Wade.

Ps: reports so far indicate this was not a nuclear test.

Zhukov said:
Well, any large explosion will create a mushroom cloud. The explosion pushes the surrounding air away, creating a vacumn. The air then rushes back in, runs out of space, and forms a column that travels up and expands out. Voila, mushroom cloud.

I suppose a forest fire big enough to create a firestorm would create a mushroom cloud. In that instance the fire is consuming so much oxygen that it creates a pressure differential that sucks in surrounding air. Once the firestorm is powerful enough it starts sucking in more air than it can consume and you get atmospheric effects similar to the large explosion described above. Mushroom cloud.

None of that explains the "explosion" detection however.

Depending on the wind it might take a few days for radiation to be detected, but the more I think about it, this was probably neither intentional nor atomic. If they were going to test a bomb, they'd probably do it underground, which would create the seismic effects but not the cloud.

A siesmic event might cause such a thing. Or a chemical plant exploding. Even a grain strorage facility could do it.

Large conventional bombs also make "mushroom clouds", but the size of this one indicates something else. I suspect a chemical plant or some other industrial disaster - but time will tell.

Wade.

wade said:

Wade.

I know I'm going to regret this response to you, but you are such a ridiculous excuse for even a 'liberal', not that you are one at all. You are the epitomy of statism, you just do not like who's currently in charge. By no means are you a liberal:

Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

Bush, post 9/11, fits the later. He's been willing to change the status quo, upside down. No more kowtowing to UN, though attempts made to access alliances. Same with NATO, since France has veto, has their own agenda, ta ta!

NK, was not Bush's doing. The unraveling of the Clinton/Albright agreement had started from the inception, was being picked up on by Clinton administration, and shared with incoming Bush administration. CIA should have picked up MUCH sooner, but that seems to be a whole other issue.

wade said:
A siesmic event might cause such a thing. Or a chemical plant exploding. Even a grain strorage facility could do it.

Large conventional bombs also make "mushroom clouds", but the size of this one indicates something else. I suspect a chemical plant or some other industrial disaster - but time will tell.

Wade.

But we are talking about a mushroom cloud thats apparently 2 miles around. are there alot of conventional weapons that do that?

wade said:

Wade.

And just how exactly was Bush supposed to stop them?
Oh wait, about the only option he had would be to go to war, and then you would be on here protesting his decision to preemptively strike the worst regime in the world.
Diplomacy, negotiation, agreements, none of that works with these guys. They have been at a state of war with us since the 50's, they just learned how to behave (unlike saddam) and they play smart (misbehave AFTER you have nuclear weapons)

albright went over there and made an ass of herself and the clinton adminstration, i'm surprised she didn't call Kim a "man of peace" or better yet as Kofi Annan said of Saddam "a man I can trust"

NATO AIR said:
And just how exactly was Bush supposed to stop them?
Oh wait, about the only option he had would be to go to war, and then you would be on here protesting his decision to preemptively strike the worst regime in the world.
Diplomacy, negotiation, agreements, none of that works with these guys. They have been at a state of war with us since the 50's, they just learned how to behave (unlike saddam) and they play smart (misbehave AFTER you have nuclear weapons)

albright went over there and made an ass of herself and the clinton adminstration, i'm surprised she didn't call Kim a "man of peace" or better yet as Kofi Annan said of Saddam "a man I can trust"

Taken Kim up on his offer. If he in fact abided by the 17 concessions he offered, we'd all be better off. If he did not, we'd be where we are right now, but we'd probably have a bit better intel into NK than we do. Win-win for us.

Wade.

wade said:

Wade.

Thats funny. I could have sworn it was MADELINE ALBRIGHT UNDER BILL CLINTON'S ADMINISTRATION THAT GAVE THE NORTH KOREANS NUCLEAR SECRETS. They blindly thought "Oh this Kim Jong-Ill fellow won't use these secrets to build nukes. He just wants some power for his people."

Right thats Bush's fault alright. :stupid:

Forum List

Back