Musharraf resignation: Good or Bad?

Wait let me get this right.... If we support him and help him stay in power against the wishes of the people we are wrong, and if we do not force the pakistani people to keep him with military might, we are also wrong. Must be nice to so neatly arrange it so we are always wrong. Remind me again how Saddam was a good leader in Iraq and we should have just allowed him to ignore his ceasefire agreement as long as he wanted.

Its a good thing, the people have spoken. Elections were held and the people voted to riud of him as was proved by the impeachment proceedings that forced him out

Your question leaves some unaswered questions, Good for who, the US or Pakistan?

this is very BAD for the US. As RGS pointed out if we help him were damned, if we don't help, him we abandoned him. Musharraf has been a VERY BIG supporter of the US. He has done a great job of helping the US and also keeping his country in line. If not for him there would have been much more Al Quada strong holds and better financing through his country.

I think in the long run this will be BAD for Pakistan as well, I think we will see a form of gov't close to the taliban or worse... IMHO....

Too bad Bush didn't have the same respect for America. At least Musharraf is putting his country ahead of his own interest.

An emotional Musharraf said he wanted to spare Pakistan from a dangerous power struggle.

"I hope the nation and the people will forgive my mistakes," Musharraf said in a televised address largely devoted to defending his record.
Musharraf resigns as Pakistan president - Yahoo! News

Hell, even if we impeached Bush, he would refuse to leave office and declare marshal law, he's a fucking nutcase, he cares for nothing but himself and big oil, the rest of the world and America can go to hell.

Last edited:
Too bad Bush didn't have the same respect for America. At least Musharraf is putting his country ahead of his own interest.

An emotional Musharraf said he wanted to spare Pakistan from a dangerous power struggle.

"I hope the nation and the people will forgive my mistakes," Musharraf said in a televised address largely devoted to defending his record.
Musharraf resigns as Pakistan president - Yahoo! News

Hell, even if we impeached Bush, he would refuse to leave office and declare marshal law, he's a fucking nutcase, he cares for nothing but himself and big oil, the rest of the world and America can go to hell.

To quote Rosie ODonnell: Delusional!

I think it's too early to tell whether it's good or bad. I think it highly depends who is in charge now.

But I can tell you I am concerned that a muslim exteremist could get power and what he could do with nuclear weapons... we aren't entering a pretty world if that is the case.

But I can tell you I am concerned that a muslim exteremist could get power and what he could do with nuclear weapons..
No worry, Bush saved the world from such a scenario when he illegally invaded Iraq and killed millions of innocent people, remember?
Nope because of Bush's land grab and the tax breaks for big oil and the rich, the world is now a secure, safe and prosperous place to live, everything is fine, no problems nowhere, just ask McCain.

Avatar4321No worry, Bush saved the world from such a scenario when he illegally invaded Iraq and killed millions of innocent people, remember?
Nope because of Bush's land grab and the tax breaks for big oil and the rich, the world is now a secure, safe and prosperous place to live, everything is fine, no problems nowhere, just ask McCain.

Fabulous. Someone who has no concept of long term strategy.

Fabulous. Someone who has no concept of long term strategy.
Hey, you're worried about the evil doers getting nukes ..not me, Bush saved us, remember?

How can anyone argue this is bad? A military tyrant has been deposed by his own population today. 'Democracy' has been restored. This is seriously good news.

I will chime in with the "depends who will be in charge next" crowd.
If we are lucky, Pakistan may become something to a second Indonesia (more or less democratic muslim nation) however I definitly do not want to be in the next guys shoes.

Oh, right.

You see guys, it's this line of thinking that causes 6.5 billion people on the planet to DIE laughing whenever a US President speaks of 'spreading democracy and freedom around the world'. What a joke.

How can anyone argue this is bad? A military tyrant has been deposed by his own population today. 'Democracy' has been restored. This is seriously good news.

Democracy isn't always good news for us, since in some cases this means people who hate us get elected.

It's a bit of condundrum. On the one hand, what red-blooded American doesn't like the idea of freedom and democracy spreading around the world? On the other hand, there are parts of the world in which freedom and democracy, as opposed to despots who cooperate with us, would distinctly NOT be in our best interests.

So, good for Pakistan! Way to take over your own country! Good for us? Maybe not.

Democracy isn't always good news for us, since in some cases this means people who hate us get elected.

It's a bit of condundrum. On the one hand, what red-blooded American doesn't like the idea of freedom and democracy spreading around the world? On the other hand, there are parts of the world in which freedom and democracy, as opposed to despots who cooperate with us, would distinctly NOT be in our best interests.

So, good for Pakistan! Way to take over your own country! Good for us? Maybe not.

Alright, that's fair.

Oh, right.

You see guys, it's this line of thinking that causes 6.5 billion people on the planet to DIE laughing whenever a US President speaks of 'spreading democracy and freedom around the world'. What a joke.

Actually, I always said Pakistan shouldn't have nukes because it was unstable. That has nothing to do with "freedom" and "democracy". Has to do with safety. And I don't think I've ever been one of those who said we had anyu business "spreading democracy" by blowing up things.

So keep your issues straight. You think fundie psychos having nukes is a good thing?

On the face it is good news, however if Democracy in Pakistan leads to Radical Fundamentalist Muslims in control of Pakistan's Nukes. I could see where it might not be so good.

Forum List

Back