Murtha's Nephew Got Millions in Gov't Contracts A company owned by a nephew of Rep. J

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
WASHINGTON -- A company owned by a nephew of Rep. John Murtha received $4 million from the Defense Department last year for engineering and warehouse services, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

Murtha, D-Pa., is chairman of the House Appropriations defense subcommittee.

Murtech Inc., based on Glen Burnie, Md., is owned by the congressman's nephew Robert C. Murtha Jr., who told the Post the company provides "necessary logistical support" to Pentagon testing programs, "and that's about as far as I feel comfortable going."

The Post reported that the Pentagon rewarded contracts to Murtech without competition.

Robert Murtha denied using his family ties to land defense contracts and called it "unfortunate" some would assume his company he received federal dollars because of his uncle's influence. In fact, he told the Post, "I've been critiqued all my life, having the last name of Murtha."

"If we're not doing our job well, we wouldn't be doing our job," Murtha told the paper. "I'm successful at the work I do because of the skill sets I have...You don't know how good someone is unless you work with them.

Murtha's Nephew Got Millions in Gov't Contracts - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

Nepotism is so rampant in Washington we might as well have a nobility class ruling over us.

We basically do except in name.

Nepotism is so rampant in Washington we might as well have a nobility class ruling over us.

Well, except if you are a Republican, then you get busted for it.

yes,, if you are a Republican somebody on the left screams and screams and rents their clothing about "no bid contracts"" when it's a Democrat, ehhhh wasssup doc,, it's just politics... hypocrites

What a complete load of partisan blather you crybabies spew on this board.

Seriously boys, grow the fuck up.

What a complete load of partisan blather you crybabies spew on this board.

Seriously boys, grow the fuck up.

Hello pot.. this is kettle calling

And funny.. I did not know pointing out the blatant hypocrisy being exuded by the lefties, was inherently partisan blather... rather it is pointing out the partisan blather... but nice try

Former unit of Cheney’s firm makes up ‘vast majority’ of criminal audit cases in wake of Iraq war
... The allegations of potential fraud began in February 2004, with the most recent one being in March of this year. Cheney was CEO of KBR’s then-parent company, Halliburton, from 1995-2000, in the years leading up to his election to the office of vice president.
... Testifying before the bipartisan Wartime Contracting Commission, April Stephenson, head of the Defense Contract Audit Agency, said her agency has referred at least 16 reports since 2004 of suspected fraud or improper conduct stemming from the contract to government investigators.

Stephenson called the number of referrals "unprecedented" for a single military contract or program. But she declined to give details on those reports or name the sources of the alleged improprieties.

The agency has conducted dozens of audits on the KBR contract and has challenged about $4.7 billion in costs charged by the company, she said.

... Commissioner Christopher Shays, a former Republican congressman from Connecticut, referred to Stephenson's lengthy testimony as a "litany of abuses." Shays also faulted the Army for not moving quickly enough to shift from KBR to the competitive arrangement.

"In essence, with this one contractor, we basically said that 'KBR is too big to fail,'" he said. "'We're still going to fund you.'"
[can't insert url reference until i have 15 posts]

so, you don't recall one Bunny Greenhouse, senior contract officer for the US Army Corps of Engineers and her testimony that she opposed the KBR sole source contract, which was illegally signed by an underling while she was attending a medical appointment
during the republican regime of dicknbush

oh yea, ms. Greenhouse was shunted aside, out of her contracting role, so that she would no longer be in a position to blow the whistle on subsequent illegal awards (to republican-favored contractors)

so, with any luck, you will be found correct and the republicans will be found guilty of their illegal contracting actions against our country, and especially against our troops, which KBR was supposed to care for

Precisely... outrage disappears when it is someone in their party

Why do you assume there isn't outrage? Just because you don't see it immediately expressed doesn't mean people like me aren't pissed off at the double standard. Personally, I think Murtha needs to join Duke Cunningham in the slammer. I've been following Murtha's preferential treatment and bullying tactics on earmarks to line his own pockets for years now. Maybe not everyone has, and this is all new to most folks. It isn't to me.

you guys are too funny.....cheney doesn't own haliburton......any of you know when haliburton was awarded its no bid contract status.....

how about feinsteins husbands group getting a big fat contract .......

yes,, if you are a Republican somebody on the left screams and screams and rents their clothing about "no bid contracts"" when it's a Democrat, ehhhh wasssup doc,, it's just politics... hypocrites

That's pretty much how it works.

Forum List

Back