Murtha Wants To Be Majority Leader

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Rep Murtha (D-PA) sent out a letter saying he wants to be House Majority Leader WHEN the Dems take control of the House in November

Perhaps Motor Mouth Murtha is not up on current events. The Dems lost a huge election this past Tues in CA 50th. This was an important election the Dems had to win IF they had a prayer of taking the House back

Murtha is the modern day George McGovern. He is helping to lead the Dems into a political abyss. I for one am stepping aside

red states rule said:
Rep Murtha (D-PA) sent out a letter saying he wants to be House Majority Leader WHEN the Dems take control of the House in November

Perhaps Motor Mouth Murtha is not up on current events. The Dems lost a huge election this past Tues in CA 50th. This was an important election the Dems had to win IF they had a prayer of taking the House back

Murtha is the modern day George McGovern. He is helping to lead the Dems into a political abyss. I for one am stepping aside

I found a bit more on this:

http://insider.washingtontimes.com/articles/normal.php?StoryID=20060609-111312-1040r
Murtha may seek majority leader job

By Christina Bellantoni
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
June 10, 2006

Rep. John P. Murtha, who has called for the withdrawal of U.S. troops in Iraq, threw a political curveball yesterday by announcing he would run for majority leader if the Democrats win back the House in November.

The Pennsylvania lawmaker gave no warning before telling members he would challenge Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland for the majority leader role, and the news sent a shock wave through the Capitol.

"Our goal is to win the House back, and if there's an open seat, I'm the candidate," Mr. Murtha said.

Shocked and angered party members, who have been working to appear united as Republican approval ratings decline, said Mr. Murtha's move could potentially devastate their efforts.

"This is a huge disruption and a major distraction and it's not what we need right now," a senior Democratic aide told The Washington Times. "It's a surprise and members don't like it."

The aide compared the announcement to a "grenade" thrown by Mr. Murtha, a decorated war veteran, and accused him of putting his own ambition above the party's needs.

Another Democratic aide said Mr. Murtha is "putting the cart before the donkey."

Hoyer spokeswoman Stacey Farnen Bernards said her boss has worked hard to unify the caucus with the top priority of taking back the House, earning him support from most Democrats.

"As a result of that unity, he is confident that we will be successful in November and intends to run for majority leader," she said.

Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi was traveling home to California yesterday and had no response. Her office declined to comment.

Democrats on Capitol Hill are mostly in agreement that Mrs. Pelosi would become speaker if the party is victorious in November. Democrats need at least 15 seats to win the majority.

Murtha spokeswoman Cindy Abram declined any further comment yesterday.

Mr. Murtha, a 73-year-old former Marine, has become the Democratic anti-war point man and the party's most vocal war opponent. The 17-term lawmaker also stunned the Pentagon last month by using atrocities purportedly committed by Marines in Haditha, Iraq, to argue for troop withdrawal. Anti-war Democrats, who likely would support his bid, have praised him as an honest fighter.

Mr. Murtha is one of the leading Democrats on the Appropriations Committee and has been considered helpful to the military during his 34-year legislative career.

Mr. Hoyer, who just returned from a visit to Iraq, supported the war but thinks the United States did not send enough troops.

The senior Democratic aide said Mr. Murtha is considered a liberal maverick who is not a team player, and too closely aligned with Mrs. Pelosi.

"People feel like there has been a good team in place, and that would not be the case if Murtha was No. 2," the aide said.

Mr. Hoyer and Mrs. Pelosi once battled over the minority leader post, but this week, Mr. Hoyer said no one would challenge Mrs. Pelosi for the speakership if the Democrats win the House.

"Nancy Pelosi has done a wonderful job," he said Tuesday. "She and I have been able to bring together various spectrums of the caucus. If we lose, it will not be Nancy Pelosi's fault."

But Republicans said the announcement by Mr. Murtha "completely" undercuts Democratic efforts to win seats this year.

"This is fantastic news in the Democrats' imaginary land of their make-believe majority," said Ron Bonjean, spokesman for Speaker J. Dennis Hastert of Illinois.

Republicans expect the furniture to "stay as is" in Majority Leader John A. Boehner's office, said Kevin Madden, a spokesman for the Ohio Republican. "Candidates who start measuring office furniture before they even get past the job interview never, ever get the job," he said.

Murtha reminds me of the Clintons. They do not give a damn about their country, what is best for the people, only their own political well being

red states rule said:
Murtha reminds me of the Clintons. They do not give a damn about their country, what is best for the people, only their own political well being
Yep it's a major problem for the Dems, the GOP tends to keep that stuff to a minimum. However, we have the problem currently of 'our leaders' playing at being Dems in GOP robes. A whole different set of problems.

Very true. In PA, where I live, Republicans threw out 14 Republicans incumbents in last months primary.

It can be done. We can kick out the RINO's (Snow, McCain, Collins, ect) if we get off our ass and VOTE!

red states rule said:
Very true. In PA, where I live, Republicans threw out 14 Republicans incumbents in last months primary.

It can be done. We can kick out the RINO's (Snow, McCain, Collins, ect) if we get off our ass and VOTE!
Got to have candidates worth voting for. :coffee3:

Kathianne said:
Got to have candidates worth voting for. :coffee3:

Here is PA, in nearly every case we had Reagan conservatives taking in the incumbent RINO

The taxpayers of PA are PO'd over spending and taxes (sound familiar?)

red states rule said:
Here is PA, in nearly every case we had Reagan conservatives taking in the incumbent RINO

The taxpayers of PA are PO'd over spending and taxes (sound familiar?)
That's the problem in IL, we don't. I'm going to look at both parties for the off year, also the libertarian and independent. Whichever is closest to what I'm looking for, I'll vote for.

I'll wait for 2008 to decide what to do then.

Kathianne said:
That's the problem in IL, we don't. I'm going to look at both parties for the off year, also the libertarian and independent. Whichever is closest to what I'm looking for, I'll vote for.

I'll wait for 2008 to decide what to do then.

When you go with a third party, you might as well vote Democrat

That is what the libs were hoping for in CA 50th. You had 2 conservatives (one really really conservative and one - well - conservative)

And the conservative still got 50% and the lib 45%.

You can vote for whoever you want, but the third party is a wasted vote and will only help the Dems

Remember, Perot gave us Clinton - twice

red states rule said:
When you go with a third party, you might as well vote Democrat

That is what the libs were hoping for in CA 50th. You had 2 conservatives (one really really conservative and one - well - conservative)

And the conservative still got 50% and the lib 45%.

You can vote for whoever you want, but the third party is a wasted vote and will only help the Dems

Remember, Perot gave us Clinton - twice
That may be, at the same time it is important to send the message, when the administration has gone out of their way to ignore the base on security, borders, illegal immigration. Then insults the same with a red herring like the Marriage amendment proposal. That is hubris of the worst kind.

Kathianne said:
That may be, at the same time it is important to send the message, when the administration has gone out of their way to ignore the base on security, borders, illegal immigration. Then insults the same with a red herring like the Marriage amendment proposal. That is hubris of the worst kind.

It is fine to send a message, but if enough Republicans have your attitude (please, no disrespect intended) we could wake up on Nov 8th to Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid.

Ask what would you prefer, perhaps slightly better then waht we have now or the nightmare I just outlined above?

red states rule said:
It is fine to send a message, but if enough Republicans have your attitude (please, no disrespect intended) we could wake up on Nov 8th to Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid.

Ask what would you prefer, perhaps slightly better then waht we have now or the nightmare I just outlined above?

Actually the GOP does have a serious problem, which the democrats ala Murtha may wind up compensating for. The leadership must hear and act upon the concerns of their base. In my case, I've worked on campaigns at local, state and nation level since the late 1970's. I wouldn't today, there is no one on the horizon that I would feel worth giving up my time for. That's a serious problem.

I understand how you feel. I do not see the problems as serious as you say they are

In 2008 the winning ticket for Republicans would be Rudy Giuliani and Jeb Bush. It would put NY and FL in the Electoral College and the Dems could not overcome the numbers

red states rule said:
I understand how you feel. I do not see the problems as serious as you say they are

In 2008 the winning ticket for Republicans would be Rudy Giuliani and Jeb Bush. It would put NY and FL in the Electoral College and the Dems could not overcome the numbers
If that were the ticket in 2008, I'd vote for it.

As for 2006, we'll hope they can get the message, without losing control.

I do hope enough Republicans do NOT feel the way you do. Then we will have 2 years of impeachment hearings, tax increases, running from Iraq, treating the war on terror as a legal issue, gay marriage, liberal judges making law from the bench, and slavery repatriations.

Not a pretty picture. Do you really think it is worth "sending a message"?

I do hope enough Republicans do NOT feel the way you do. Then we will have 2 years of impeachment hearings, tax increases, running from Iraq, treating the war on terror as a legal issue, gay marriage, liberal judges making law from the bench, and slavery repatriations.

red states rule said:

Yes. The #1 purpose of government is to protect the people. That has been lost, seriously lost in the past 2 years. I don't blame GW for the illegal immigration problem, but I do blame him for not focusing on what's important and playing games with those that supported him.

red states rule said:

Red states rule, would you prefer america be ruined by party with a d or a party with an r?

rtwngAvngr said:
Red states rule, would you prefer america be ruined by party with a d or a party with an r?

The Dems would do a hell of alot more damage to America then the Republcians could ever do

red states rule said:
The Dems would do a hell of alot more damage to America then the Republcians could ever do

Don't be so sure. I used to be like you. Then the port deal, and the border morass. These republicans are selling out america for satan's gold.

Forum List

Back