Murray, UK win US Open- 76 YEARS!!!

francoHFW

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2011
NY 26th FINALLY DEM!
OMG that was something. Longest match in final ever, won 2 sets, lost 2 sets- they gave up on him, he wins! Amazing year for the UK. My 94 year old English mother might even remember lol....

Oh. Romney has screwed himself.

Well I hate GOP lies and hate and what it's done to my pals the dupes. Nothing personal.

This WAS up there with the Red Sox winning the World Series- not as good as coming back from 3 down to beat the Evil Empire tho lol.

OMG that was something. Longest match in final ever, won 2 sets, lost 2 sets- they gave up on him, he wins! Amazing year for the UK. My 94 year old English mother might even remember lol....

That is one of the most fascinating chains of logical thought I have ever witnessed.

I've seen bizarre threads before in my lifetime, but this has to be up there in the top ranges.

:lol:

Maybe the Romney comment will keep it in politics- and my tough love for my pals the poor Pub dupes....

So, TD, not a tennis fan? Murray first player EVER in four major finals without winning. Fifth GREAT win for poor old Blighty.

Remember that nut in Scotland who killed sixteen ten year olds- Murray missed it because he was in the principal's office.

I HAVE a tennis court, used to give lessons. My MD father got in with my crazy aunt and Lew Hoad in Spain Tennis Club when they ran out of money etc etc etc lol. We've been waiting, read the book. lol

Huge Bills fan since attending 1963 AFL East playoff against Boston Patriots. Then Jack Kemp, Cookie Gilchrist, Mike Stratton shut out SD Chargers in Championship. SI said the Bills would lose to NFL Champion Colts 21-7. I DON"T FEGGING THINK SO!!! LOL

Saw the two Dallas Super Bowl losses at an all night Resto in Spain in Spanish with two Spanish Waiters , in Spanish- Nobody there could care at all!!

Last edited:
Try and remember politics is JUST politics, poor Pub dupes...

"Eighty percent of Republicans are just Democrats that don't know what's going on"
Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
LOL! And that's a fact, jack. Dupes by smooth Pub salesmen since 1872...

Maybe the Romney comment will keep it in politics- and my tough love for my pals the poor Pub dupes....

So, TD, not a tennis fan? Murray first player EVER in four major finals without winning. Fifth GREAT win for poor old Blighty.

Remember that nut in Scotland who killed sixteen ten year olds- Murray missed it because he was in the principal's office.

I HAVE a tennis court, used to give lessons. My MD father got in with my crazy aunt and Lew Hoad in Spain Tennis Club when they ran out of money etc etc etc lol. We've been waiting, read the book. lol

Oh I do enjoy tennis. I better. :eusa_angel:My father in law was with the Davis Cup team in Hungary before he escaped.

Career tennis pro in Quebec and Ontario. I don't play myself but I enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Well done to Andy.

God the Bills wanted the 49ers, not Giants, Redskins and Cowboys. 49ers won the year before and after AARRRRGGGGHHHHH! LOL

Buster was the MAN!! LOL

This is a political thread? Who even watches tennis, especially on a Monday?

Classy people, like always...great stuff.

Trashman (comics)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Trashman

Cover Art from
The Collected Trashman Vol. 1, No. 1 (1972)
Art by Spain Rodriguez
Publication information
Publisher East Village Other/Rip Off Press
First appearance East Village Other (July 1968)
In-story information
Alter ego Harry Barnes
Team affiliations Sixth International
Abilities - Superhuman strength, stamina, speed, agility, reflexes, equilibrium and durability
- "Shape shifting", ability to rearrange his molecular structure
- "Random Alert Factor", a Precognitive sense which can derive warning information from random observations.
Trashman is a fictional character, a superhero created and drawn by Spain (a.k.a. Manuel Rodriguez) who appeared regularly in underground comix and magazines from 1968 through 1985.,[1]Trashman's first appearance was as a full page serial comic strip in the New York City underground newspaper the East Village Other. [1]After moving from New York City to San Francisco in 1970, Spain teamed up with fellow underground comix artists R. Crumb, S. Clay Wilson, Gilbert Shelton and others as contributors to Zap Comix, published by Last Gasp Publishing. Three full length Trashman: Agent of the Sixth International stories were published under the Subvert Comics title by "Saving Grace, a Division of Keith Green Industrial Reality", a Rip Off Press spin-off, from 1970 to 1976.[2]

Since 1976, Trashman has appeared in such publications as High Times, Heavy Metal, Weirdo, San Francisco and the Fantagraphics anthology Zero Zero #2.[2]

Contents [hide]
1 Fictional character biography
2 Super powers
3 Cultural influence
4 Notes
5 References
6 External links

[edit] Fictional character biography
Trashman is a hero of the working classes and champion of the radical left causes. The Trashman stories are set in a dystopian near-future America, which after having been ravaged by nuclear weapon attacks, has become a fascist police state, with "vast urban conglomerations. Social ferment [has] divided the land into a patchwork of virtually self-governing areas."[3]

Mild mannered auto mechanic Harry Barnes turned to a life of petty crime after finding his wife murdered in their home by Gestapo-like soldiers. Fleeing capture by the police, a mysterious stranger in a hooded robe calling himself "Citizen X" appears and leads Barnes down a hidden passageway to a secret underground installation. There Barnes is told he was chosen by the mysterious and elusive "Sixth International", an underground anarcho-Marxist organization, to be trained as a master of the "para-sciences" and use these powers to fight the oppression of the fascist governments of the world.[3]

Trashman is typically cast as the defender of the working-class masses against the tyranny of fascist police/military forces, agents of governmental oppression, and the plots of the rich and powerful to oppress the common people. He is depicted as a strong, rugged, black-clad militant figure, with dark hair and beard and eyes always in shadow, who wields conventional military weapons such as machine guns, pistols, daggers and explosives in addition to his super powers.

[edit] Super powers
"Harry Barnes, known to the world as Trashman, trained by the elusive Sixth International as a master of the para-sciences, is able to change his molecular structure or decipher a crack in the sidewalk." (quote from Trashman's first comic strip in the East Village Other.)

Trashman's powers include superhuman strength, stamina, speed, agility, reflexes, equilibrium and durability. He is not invulnerable to harm, but his powers usually enable him to avoid being wounded or killed by conventional weapons. He also has the ability to "shape-shift", or alter his shape and molecular structure to any desired form, including non-organic ones. (For example, he once shifted himself into the shape of a copy of the East Village Other.) He retains his mental abilities even while shifted, and can change back to human form at will.

Trashman also has a power called "Random Alert Factor", based on the fictional "science of numantics." One of the principles of numantics is that from observing "random" phenomena, "a general pattern may be deduced." Trashman is tuned into this mode of perception, giving him a synchronicity-based precognition/clairvoyance, of seemingly unrelated information by making observations of random (complex) phenomena. For example, on the inside back cover artwork of Subvert Comics #1, Trashman "hears" a crack in the sidewalk "speak" to him, warning him of an attack from behind. Strangely, Trashman's powers are diminished when he is exposed to an atmosphere lacking in a certain level of pollution.[4]

[edit] Cultural influence
The Trashman series is one of the very few super hero stories depicted in the underground comix of the 1960s and 1970s, particularly as a recurring character. Trashman's post-apocalyptic setting and Marxist-anarchist overtones expressed Spain's own social and political beliefs, as well as the sensibilities of the anti-Vietnam War movement and the underground counterculture of the era. [5] Like many underground comix, the Trashman stories are replete with graphic depictions of violence, sex and profanity, which were all but unknown in super hero comics of the past. [2]

There are also many times that the characters break the "fourth wall" boundary between the fiction and the reader, typical of post-modern art. In one exchange with another character, Trashman "admits" he is a comic book character: "You heard Dr. Kranker. It was all figured out thru numantics. It's just odds and fixed points and all that stuff." "Fuck you! Do you expect me to believe that shit?" "Shhh! Don't blow it man. There's all those readers out there watching." [6]

The style and setting of the Trashman comics are similar to many of the post-apocalyptic graphic novels and films that followed it years later, such as the Blade Runner and Mad Max films, the Dark Knight series of Batman graphic novels, and the V for Vendetta graphic novel and film. [1]In an interview with John Ascher, Spain claims no direct influence on these later works, but concedes, "These ideas are out there. The artist pursues a cultural thread, and there are other people pursuing that cultural thread as well, so you exchange these ideas, they’re thrown back and forth, amplified, then the cultural thread goes underground, then it pops up again, often."

Also a Buffalonian..."Spain" Rodriguez...

OOOPS-

Try and remember politics is JUST politics, poor Pub dupes...

"Eighty percent of Republicans are just Democrats that don't know what's going on"
Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
LOL! And that's a fact, jack. Duped by smooth Pub salesmen since 1872...

Last edited:
Why is this in Politics, and what does Romney have to do with it? Very happy that Andy won though, he's my favorite player.

Forum List

Back