(Murkowski Setback): Alaska Judge Blocks Distribution Of 'Write-In-Names'

USArmyRetired

Rookie
May 29, 2010
Good, at least there is some judicial integrity in Alaska. The judge was appointed by Palin successor Gov Sean Parnell who is riding high on Palins policies she enacted. This is bad for Murkowski. If nobody at the polls can help voters spell her name , which is hard to do for some, then her name mispelled will not be counted as a vote. I applaud Judge Pfiffner for his command of the English language. We should help spread the word- Alaska, write in Mercowsky-!!!

Alaska judge blocks distribution of write-in names

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- An Alaska judge on Wednesday granted a temporary restraining order stopping the state elections officials from handing out names of write-in candidates at polling places.

The ruling is a setback for the campaign of incumbent U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, who was defeated in the August GOP primary by tea party favorite Joe Miller and is mounting a write-in campaign. Former Sitka Mayor Scott McAdams is the Democrat in the race.

Anchorage Superior Court Judge Frank A. Pfiffner said the division was in clear violation of an administrative regulation.

The regulation reads, "Information regarding a write-in candidate may not be discussed, exhibited, or provided at the polling place, or within 200 feet of any entrance to the polling place."

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.

Last edited:
  • Banned
The question is how many have already voted for her because of this assistance? Seems there should be a penalty levied against them for violating the written law.

I read this earlier...the election committee took it upon themselves to prepare and hand out write-in pamphlets in clear violation of Alaska election law.

How can this be justified?

• Banned
Well it looks like Miller will take the cake with this ruling. Murkowski doesn't have enough time to stop this with legal proceedings.

This is retarded... there is obviously clear intent on the part of write ins that spell "Murkowski" wrong. But, I see their point in not allowing them: If your too stupid to spell that name, your vote isn't counted. It's not like the fucking name is Szczechinowicz or something!

Alaska high court: Voters may see write-in list

Seems the ruling was overturned by the Alaska Supreme Court. I don't have a problem with poll workers providing assistance to those who request the correct spelling of a write in candidates name, but posting a list in of write-in candidates in plain view kind of invalidates the established process.

Good. Murkowski is typical of the career politicians who will say and do anything to get re-elected. She's a poor looser and can't accept the fact that she lost in the primary election. I hope she looses soundly in the general election.

The ruling may very well follow the letter of the law; it however violates the spirit of democratic principles.

In Alaska write in's are determined by voter intent. So a misspelling shouldn't matter if the name is close enough.

Unfortunately, the GOP is already planning to steal this election with lawyers, and all the usual idiots are applauding. So much for the whole "Will of the People" argument.

The ruling may very well follow the letter of the law; it however violates the spirit of democratic principles.

In Alaska write in's are determined by voter intent. So a misspelling shouldn't matter if the name is close enough.

Unfortunately, the GOP is already planning to steal this election with lawyers, and all the usual idiots are applauding. So much for the whole "Will of the People" argument.

damn dude

Last I saw she was 10 points behind, that was Monday. oh, but she was 20 points ahead of the dem.

No lawyers were needed until muchadoaboutnothing made a stink about not liking a rule that was being used against her. fyi, as an incumbent, she wasn't against it.

Forum List

Back