Murder In Yokosuka, USS Kitty Hawk Sailor(s) Kill 56 Y/O Japanese Woman

Discussion in 'Military' started by NATO AIR, Jan 5, 2006.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Shame and shock here... I'm not surprised given some of the knuckleheads we have onboard, but this betrayal of trust is just horrific. And the consequences will be appalling, both for Japanese-US relations and for the already strained shore leave opportunities for the personnel on the ship like myself.

2. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Damn. I was in Oki in 95 right after the rapes. Talk about repercussions. The most amazing thing about life after the service is that apparently civilians don't associate and feel shame when one of thier own does something heinous.

Hang in there. It'll suck, but it'll pass.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I had to go out in town today to drop off a shipyard employee from the hospital (a professional courtesy to a japanese dock hand who was treated for a vicious stomach flu he had mid-week). After enduring stares from everyone in sight, and seeing two women grab their children and rush into a nearby store away from us..... I'm just as pissed at the senior leadership of the Navy as I am at the coward who beat an elderly woman to death.

These folks kept giving idiots like him slaps on the wrist for crimes that would get them significant jail time in the civilian world. Their poor example only emboldens idiots like him. No matter the liberty restrictions, we'll still have our share who decide its worth it to break the law, until the consequences become so severe they can't stomach it.

But yea, you had it a lot worse back in Oki in 95. How did you all recover from that?

Thanks for the support Pegwinn.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Sorry NATO, for the slow response, I hadn't gotten back to email from this afternoon.

I'm sorry that one of your crew mates may have done such a horrendous act. From your outrage, together with Pegwinn's response, I will say that I think we civilians mostly wonder from press accounts whether or not our soldiers, who we do put up on pedastals, are being unjustly accused. You, on the ground so to speak, know the population, police, and more importantly the possible perps and are able to make more educated opinions. I'll follow your lead.

5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    From what I know personally, via the ship, he was new to the ship and in the Air Dept. (the haven of thugs.... i.e. home of most of the gangs on the ship, i.e. the "get money" crew, the "killa krips", etc etc. )

Crap that the chain of command allowed to fester, instead of tracking them all and kicking their ass out of the military.

As for the crime, he showed up at the base front gate with blood all over his clothes, right around the time the poor woman's body was found. And he's apparently now confessed.

6. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Funny thing is that I heard on the news this morning that he is now a 'possible witness' to the crime. Reportedly, the woman was a victim of a burgulary. Obviously, it is hard to determine from what the media reports whether the kid is guilty of anything at all.

7. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I'm not goin to say we had it worse. Our days in town sounded like your own. We wanted to take the Marines aside and give em a blanket party and seriously hoped that they would die in prison. Recover? Oki hasn't. The Marine Corps has to a degree. The civil populace understands that there are animals everywhere. Most of the shock comes when you find them in unexpected places.

The current black eye is the alleged rapes in the Phillipenes.

Support? No worries younger brother.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1