Murder At The Carwash

McVay, 49, was “in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Capt. Parker Sever said

Those words, that sentiment, is not just meaningless. It's intentionally meaningless. PoliticalChic nailed it in the OP and I think there is a not so subtle blaming of the victim going on, as though she were "struck by fate". As if she were hit by a meteor and not another human being.

She was the one in the right place at the right time. Good Lord to Capt. Sever: Where the fuck do you go when your car is dirty? Dairy Queen? The murderer was in the wrong place (planet Earth) at the wrong time (ever). He may as well have said "shit happens".

What a destructive and idiotic mentality.

/rant

"...a not so subtle blaming of the victim going on, as though she were "struck by fate". As if she were hit by a meteor and not another human being."

President Eisenhower once, famously, said: "public opinion wins wars."

I believe that you have identified the nexus or Eisenhower's reference, and the deleterious effects that Hollywood (read 'Liberals') have had on society's attitude about crime...

In the 1949 seminal film, "Knock On Any Door," starring Humphrey Bogart and John Derek, a young (handsome) perp kills a police officer, and his lawyer (Bogart) has the jury wringing their hands over the terrible childhood of the perp.

It is worth seeing, and draw you own conclusions re: the view that society should make excuses for killers, and ignore the hole that they leave in the lives of those associated with the victim.

Great example of the mentality at work. Been a long time and it's worth re-watching "Knock On Any Door". Courtroom speech aside, there were a lot of redeeming conservative oriented acts by many characters in the film. (specifically the perp's last actions) In this context though you are right. I guess at the time I must have just explained away "Bogey's" speech as trying to get into the social workers pants. (I know now that's just a sad rationalization)

I find the story sad.

I find Hanson's need to pimp it to cry about what he really wants to harp on, his perceived decline of our morals to be truly sick. As sick as he claims the rest of us are.

Agreed, well done overall.

1. Possibly you have some passing knowledge of the 2nd amendment?
No?

There was nothing in post 7 advocating gun control, your response is therefore pointless.

In Heller the Court made its ruling on the Second Amendment, that it is an individual right, there is a right to self defense, and that possession of a handgun is protected accordingly. That an American elects to not carry a firearm does not mean he ‘opposes’ the Second Amendment.

Leave it to the nitwit right to make an issue out of a non-issue.

A citizen used her Second Amendment right to protect herself. Period. End of story. Partisan politics need not apply.

As a ‘caliber wars’ aside, this is strong evidence that training, not ‘size of bullet’ is the most important factor in the effective use of a handgun. .380 ACP is a perfectly appropriate SD round accordingly.

Forum List

Back