Murder as Sport

I agree with you 100 percent westwall but my gut tells me he won't. I'm very familiar with the NJ juvenile justice system (or lack thereof). Minors are rarely held accountable and parents almost never are. I'd be surprise if they get more than 10 years.

It was crazy. It was violent. It was premeditated. Worse than all, it was sport. Poor Mazariego-Torres was the human pinata, there for the entertainment of a couple of cowards, and their follower-friends who wanted to record the whole thing.

He was an easy target. He was not a big man and spoke limited English. Maybe he had a little to drink. Regardless, he was outnumbered. He was alone, minding his own business, in his own town.

In a cellphone video, Mazariego-Torres is sitting on the bench, and a young man sits to his right. Behind him is another man. They seem to be joking, and Mazariego-Torres is totally relaxed. Then, with animalistic swiftness -- and there really is no better word -- Mazariego-Torres is suckered. His face is covered with his shirt, the young man on the bench gets up and throws a punch meant to take someone’s head off. There is no other way to say it. The boy reaches way back, and puts all he has into it. When some defense lawyer eventually says "they didn’t mean to hurt him," remember this: Anybody who has ever thrown a punch like that, or been hit with one, knows full well the intent. This is not being called a hate crime, but it should be. There was hate behind that punch.

Diverse community attends funeral for Summit man killed in 'mindless' crime | NJ.com

What should be their sentence?

They should be swifty and publically executed.

When people start acting like packs of wild dogs they deserve no human consideration.

Forum List

Back