Murder as entertainment.

Gratuitous violence does not sit well with me. And I do think that it can have desensitizing effect on young people. It takes a great director like Hitchcock to depict murder without even showing the act. That kind of genius has been lost on the newbies in my opinion.

I agree about Hitchcock, but I can't say I'm not a fan of gratuitous Violence in movies.

I realize it's fake.

It's curiosity.

"Hmm, I'll never see this in real life because I know that it's wrong/crazy/I'd never do it,....but so long as it's fake let's see what these producers depict it looking like." I don't see a major issue.

what about these video games where they play the sniper and they get to actually see bloody head shot.

I enjoy them. I wouldn't let young kids play them though. Problem is, lots and lots and lots of parents see a 'teen' or even an 'MA' rating and think nothing of letting younger kids play them. Same with movies. PG-13 and they think it's fine. Why would they let someone else decide what is and isn't ok for their kids to watch/play? :dunno:

Good for you GT.

We've seen a tremendous increase in girl fights over the past few years. I would not be exaggerating if I said at least 90 percent of the fights at my school are now between females. Not sure if that has anything to do with media, but I do know that its a growing epidemic.

I'm just a wimp G.T. I could never be a nurse simply because I can't stand the sight of blood - even if it's fake. That's just me. I usually close my eyes and tell whomever I'm with to let me know when it's over. It doesn't stop me from going to the movies though.

lol that's alright.

I couldn't change a bed pan without puking my guts out if ya paid me a Million bucks!

I wouldn't eat from a bed pan for a 110 million bucks!

I agree about Hitchcock, but I can't say I'm not a fan of gratuitous Violence in movies.

I realize it's fake.

It's curiosity.

"Hmm, I'll never see this in real life because I know that it's wrong/crazy/I'd never do it,....but so long as it's fake let's see what these producers depict it looking like." I don't see a major issue.

what about these video games where they play the sniper and they get to actually see bloody head shot.

I enjoy them. I wouldn't let young kids play them though. Problem is, lots and lots and lots of parents see a 'teen' or even an 'MA' rating and think nothing of letting younger kids play them. Same with movies. PG-13 and they think it's fine. Why would they let someone else decide what is and isn't ok for their kids to watch/play? :dunno:

Becuase it is the easy way?
It is MUCH harder to raise a child vs let them grow up.

Many of those on here were raised up from childhood on Freddy Kruger and such and just cannot see/underatand it though...

I was raised in the era where TV got pretty limitless.

I don't stand and watch rapes, I break up fights, I dislike bullies, etc. etc.

What's not to understand.

Ohh I am not saying it impacts everyone the same way.

And good for you.

My nephew's been playing first-person-shooter games online since he was like 8.

He hears the swearing, sees the blood and guts.

He's Student Council Pres., he's got great manners and he's not violent. (he's 12)

Liuke I say, most people can decipher between entertainment and reality. (even an 8-year old!!)

Chanel, the violence could be caused by the disappearing of the middle class, as poverty is basically the #1 cause of violence.

Maybe it's their parent's fault that they're not very well adjusted Girls.

Consider the movies and TV shows whose main focus is murder.
What does it say about us when Murder , often in horribly violent forms has become a major form of entertainment....
Did you laugh when the guys brains got blown all over the car in Pulp Fiction?
I got taken to that one by my wife and the laughter was all around me in the theatre. I was disgustedly amazed.
Discuss.

You mentioned hearing laughter. Was the laughter from couples seeing the movie together, or just from groups of rambunctious young men?
When I was a young man I remember taking a date to see "A Man and a Woman".
Woody Allen movies were also quite popular. Do young couples actually go out on dates together to see these extremely violent motion pictures? Do they then go for a pizza and discuss the movie's highlights such as when someone's head gets hit with a bullet and explodes, or something of similar violently graphic nature?

Forum List

Back