municipal / local government ?

sam111

Jan 26, 2012
Hi , all
Questions pertain to United States of America government / political structure

I know how the branches of government go at the federal / country level .
i.e we have nine judges on the supreme court (judicial system)
we have congress that care of making the laws (house and senate )
we have for the executive branch (that) enforces the laws president , vice p , 15 cabinet ,...etc

But I am curious what the structure of the local government say for a state like Maine or New York what would the structure be....
(i.e what are the local goverment executive , judicial , and legislative branches and names of people in the positions)

Like would the govern be the equivalent of a local state president.

Question 2
On a smaller scale then even a state what is the town form of government structure and names of the people? (i.e for example the town of Brim-field , MA or any such other town with in a state )

Thank you for any help in clarity of this issue.
I am very interested in knowing the structure of are government on a smaller state / down scale.

I believe if I am correct local or federal levels of government structure is democratic in structure some law to make people happy but correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Most local governments operate on unique structures. Some are centered around a mayor and some use a town council type of structure. They are responsible for local issues such as roads, maintenance and utilities

Sam, each state has its own structure of Government, though most mimic the Federal Government to some extent, I believe there is just one State with a unicameral legislature, but I'm not sure on that. Also, there are 9 Supreme Court Judges now but that hasn't always been the case, and of course the size of the House and the Senate have changed over the years. Also, there are the Executive Agencies, the real work horses of the Federal Government, well, they have counterparts at the state level too - but once again, it differs on a state by state level.

Below the state level there are many forms of municipal government, its basically whatever the people choose. Much of what one ends up with a system depends on how large the community served is; Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky has a much different structure of governance than Albuquerque, New Mexico. Fortunately many municipal Governments, at least down to the county (or perish) level have web sites and many of them will give you a description of their form of organization.

OK, thanks

So their still must be some universal structure on the state level
Like what is a mayor equivalent interms of federal level analogy all towns that I know of have one
Same thing as for govern .... wouldn't he be president of the state under consideration all states I know of have one.

I.E if we took New York for instance the Governor of New York would be the president of New York... Correct? And the level higher then the govern would be ...? I would say some member of the federal level executive branch (something out of state)... correct ?

For instance if the govern of New York had a problem he couldn't solve or if it was larger then state level... who would he call/contact. Would it be a member of the cabinet or the president directly?

My main purpose is to understand the names who have high political status or executive power in the states and towns.... (from the local level all I know is mayor is president of town and governor is president of the state to make the federal executive branch analogy )

Is their any other local enpowered names other then mayor , or governor that I should be aware of on the local government level?
Like is their an equivalent to the cabinet or other executives in the federal level for the local level.... (maybe board of directories or something ... an example of a particular state/town would be nice )

Last edited:
Another important reason why I am trying to get the structure of the local government down.

Is how can people vote for people if they don't understand what the position/ authority of the person is.... ya , he can say good crap and everybody can like his public speeches but

The voting for him puts him in a position that you didn't know he only had power to do this or he had to much power to do that ...etc

I think the government naming conventions at the local levels should be more understandable for voting purposes... voting for some secretary of the DHHS or something doesn't have any meaning usual to the general voting population.

We are all familiar with the naming conventions of the federal government but at a local level the people we vote on should be named or at least easily associated to the higher levels.

Or that would make it hard to vote correctly for people.
Psychology tells us that people want to associate a name to a position (i.e a rank that is a well know name) if not then a random name that everybody isn't aware of isn't valued as much.

For instance if I called the president the the dude with authority. And then said vote for blabla bla due of authority at a voting ballet they wouldn't even know who they are voting for and why. And probably just vote on the speech and body language forgetting about how much power you gave him.

ALSO
Go on maines site seems to be a 100 or so political people that run the top level stuff of the state of Maine. Curious out of this list who does maine vote for just their town mayor and Governor or is it a ton of other positions that people don't know what they are actually voting for.
site www maine.gov/portal/government/state-agencies?range=G-H

I hope you see my point... in that at federal level alot of people find it easy to understanding who's doing what / who has what power ... but at a local level no-naming conventions and other stuff makes it very difficult for people to under stand who has what authority at the local level.

ironically most of the time the authority at state and town level is the most important to the person living their

I see the problem more so in the executive branches then at the judicial , and legislative because for the state of maine and all the other states I have looked at their pages and they all seem to use the same names for those branches so it is easy to understand who is who in those branches in general.

i.e normally judges are judges and legislative people are senors or representative "usually this is the case"

BTW , I changed my mind about my out look on are current president he is doing a pretty good job considering the conditions given to him.
I would vote for him if he truly believes in what he say's.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back