Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy

Do you know anyone that has these traits?
Munchausen syndrome by proxy (MSP), a type of factitious disorder, is a mental illness in which a person acts as if an individual he or she is caring for has a physical or mental illness when the person is not really sick. People with MSP assume the role of a sick person indirectly by producing or lying about illness in another person under their care, usually a child under 6 years of age. However, cases have been reported of adult victims of MSP. (The term "by proxy" means "through a substitute.")

People with MSP have an inner need for the other person (often his or her child) to be seen as ill or injured. It is not done to achieve a concrete benefit, such as financial gain. People with MSP are even willing to have the child or other patient undergo painful or risky tests and operations in order to get the sympathy and special attention given to people who are truly ill and their families. Factitious disorders are considered mental illnesses because they are associated with severe emotional difficulties

No.

But I Have heard of several people (mostly women/mothers) who were falsely accused of MSP and lost their children because of said false accusations. They played hell getting their children back.

I tend to doubt MSP "diagnoses", because they are quite subjective (ie, there is no medical test to conclusively prove this "diagnosis"). This this so-called mental illness diagnsosis is a catch-all "diagnosis" when a child's illness cannot be definitively resolved and often doctors feel helpless to do anything but blame the mother/parents when all else fails. This "diagnosis" has been easily abused and misused by the medical profession, CPS and law enforcement against innnocent parents. Do a little research on these falsely accused parents....their lives are RUINED and so are their families.

Sorry....I think *if* this kind of thing happens, it is EXTREMELY RARE, if even happens at all.

Unavailable for questioning:

bar_029JohnNeville.jpg

No.

But I Have heard of several people (mostly women/mothers) who were falsely accused of MSP and lost their children because of said false accusations. They played hell getting their children back.

I tend to doubt MSP "diagnoses", because they are quite subjective (ie, there is no medical test to conclusively prove this "diagnosis"). This this so-called mental illness diagnsosis is a catch-all "diagnosis" when a child's illness cannot be definitively resolved and often doctors feel helpless to do anything but blame the mother/parents when all else fails. This "diagnosis" has been easily abused and misused by the medical profession, CPS and law enforcement against innnocent parents. Do a little research on these falsely accused parents....their lives are RUINED and so are their families.

Sorry....I think *if* this kind of thing happens, it is EXTREMELY RARE, if even happens at all.
Wow. Your logic allows you to conclude that a physician's misdiagnosis of an illness means that the illness does not exist? That's quite a non sequitur you've demonstrated.

And, that's not even addressing your impression that physicians will make a misdiagnosis of an adult because they need a scapegoat for their being stumped in making a diagnosis of a possible medical problem for a child. What the hell?

No.

Methinks she doth protest too much.

No.

Wow. Your logic allows you to conclude that a physician's misdiagnosis of an illness means that the illness does not exist? That's quite a non sequitur you've demonstrated.

And, that's not even addressing your impression that physicians will make a misdiagnosis of an adult because they need a scapegoat for their being stumped in making a diagnosis of a possible medical problem for a child. What the hell?

Sorry if that was too difficult for you to understand.

In a nutshell:

When a doctor is STUMPED and cannot diagnose, treat and cure a child who continues to return time and time again--still very sick, eventually they give up on finding a natural cause for the child's illness.

Instead, they begin to look at the PARENT as the cause. It's a much easier way out. Makes them look good, gets them off the hook, and puts the parent ON the hook.

Do a little research about falsely accused MSP parents and the damage done to their children, families and lives by a FALSE accusation of MSP. It happens a lot more than you think.

Sorry, I don't buy into the MSP scare.....it's stupid. MOST parents are not going to harm their child in order to get attention. I suspect MSP is a QUITE RARE event....if it even occurs at all.

And I say this as the daughter of a 30+ year RN, BSN, MSN, CEN who has spent years in the trenches treating all kinds of ailments in the ER. If MSP was going to show up---that'd be a first line place for it to happen. ER's offer relative anonymity--until a patient becomes a frequent flyer.....at which time a little more scruitiny is apporpriate---along with a referral to a primary care physician who will then do the work up and decide what is going on with the child.

I do know a little bit about what I"m talking about.....and I've also done the research on the falsely accused. It happens a lot more than you realize.

Do the research. It's not that hard. Google is your friend.

No.

Methinks she doth drink way too much scotch and PWI.

Still going with the non sequitur, eh? :cuckoo:

And, now you add a shift of burden?

Hmmm. Brush up in the logic department, Jeny.

Google "MSP + false accusations" or "MSP + falsely accused" and see what you get.

Then come back to discuss.

That is, unless you're afraid I might actually be right. In which case, I can undestand why you wouldn't want to do that and destroy your ability to take shots at me.

I have that, i have this german count who has done all these amazing things, but he claims to be sick.

Rat bastard.

Google "MSP + false accusations" or "MSP + falsely accused" and see what you get. ....
No need for me to do so. It's your assertion, you support it. See, that's one of those annoying things about logic.

So, until YOU support it, your claim stands as bullshit.

.... Then come back to discuss. ....
So far, all I am discussing are your logical fallacies. Get some logic into your points, and I'm sure there will be plenty to discuss. But, I don't discuss nonsense.

.... That is, unless you're afraid I might actually be right. In which case, I can undestand why you wouldn't want to do that and destroy your ability to take shots at me.
The only thing I'm afraid of is the potential addition of another illogical dolt to USMB.

I have that, i have this german count who has done all these amazing things, but he claims to be sick.

Rat bastard.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Xenophon again.

Google "MSP + false accusations" or "MSP + falsely accused" and see what you get. ....
No need for me to do so. It's your assertion, you support it. See, that's one of those annoying things about logic.

.... Then come back to discuss. ....
So far, all I am discussing are your logical fallacies. Get some logic into your points, and I'm sure there will be plenty to discuss. But, I don't discuss nonsense.

.... That is, unless you're afraid I might actually be right. In which case, I can undestand why you wouldn't want to do that and destroy your ability to take shots at me.
The only thing I'm afraid of is the potential addition of another illogical dolt to USMB.

Whatever. You're obviously distressed that I am right and you are full of shit. Otherwise you'd take a few seconds out of your busy life and google away--even if only to prove me wrong.

Ha ha! Scared as shit.....you won't back up your own assertions. :lol:

Whatever. You're obviously distressed that I am right and you are full of shit. Otherwise you'd take a few seconds out of your busy life and google away--even if only to prove me wrong.

So, just with a cursory inspection of your 'point', I've pointed out your non sequitur, your shift of burden, and now you present the I'm-right-you're-wrong 'point'.

Yup, we have another illogical dolt at USMB.

So, just with a cursory inspection of your 'point', I've pointed out your non sequitur, your shift of burden, and now you present the I'm-right-you're-wrong 'point'.

Yup, we have another illogical dolt at USMB.

You ain't seen nothing yet baby.

Grab a comfy chair, a beverage (preferably adult) and some popcorn!
Y'all are in for a SHOW!

No.

Methinks she doth drink way too much scotch and PWI.

Completely toasted I still make more sense than your dumbass.:lol:

Forum List

Back