Multiple ID's

Should we allow a person or two to have multiple ID's and in effect control the conversation on any topic? Its happening and its just not right

From the rules: "Individuals are allowed only one (1) account. Anyone found to be in violation risk, having all accounts banned."

If you suspect someone has mutliple accounts then report them, the Mod's have tools to determine if the same person is logging in under different accounts.

USMB Rules and Guidelines

>>>>

Yes, but those tools are limited. One need only to know how to get around them.
a proxy server, or using your iphone at work and lap top at home etc....but eventually you screw up, and use your iphone at home as an example, and it connects to the internet through your home wireless router with the same ip address as your laptop... :eek:
That doesn't make sense. What if two people who use the same internet connection have accounts?
it happened a couple of times when I was a mod, where posters had the same IP address, yet just different posters living in the same household....and they were honest and upfront from the beginning, and I followed them and researched them for a little while till I was convinced one was not a sock, of the other.... I was not a mod on the system USMB is on now, but the other system, there was an area you could go where you could see identifying data of the operating systems a poster's computer is using when on the site...like firefox, or google chrome and other running systems when you post, and it's always the same for each poster if they are using the same computer,,,two different poster would have different operating systems running in most cases.... and there was another area you can go that could show hours on the site by poster...past posts and if you really wanted to gt in to the nitty gritty of all that's truly available to mods on the old system, you could, with pretty good certainty...identify socks....

I usually figured it out in two to five posts...no equipment necessary. :)

From the rules: "Individuals are allowed only one (1) account. Anyone found to be in violation risk, having all accounts banned."

If you suspect someone has mutliple accounts then report them, the Mod's have tools to determine if the same person is logging in under different accounts.

USMB Rules and Guidelines

>>>>

Yes, but those tools are limited. One need only to know how to get around them.
a proxy server, or using your iphone at work and lap top at home etc....but eventually you screw up, and use your iphone at home as an example, and it connects to the internet through your home wireless router with the same ip address as your laptop... :eek:
That doesn't make sense. What if two people who use the same internet connection have accounts?
it happened a couple of times when I was a mod, where posters had the same IP address, yet just different posters living in the same household....and they were honest and upfront from the beginning, and I followed them and researched them for a little while till I was convinced one was not a sock, of the other.... I was not a mod on the system USMB is on now, but the other system, there was an area you could go where you could see identifying data of the operating systems a poster's computer is using when on the site...like firefox, or google chrome and other running systems when you post, and it's always the same for each poster if they are using the same computer,,,two different poster would have different operating systems running in most cases.... and there was another area you can go that could show hours on the site by poster...past posts and if you really wanted to gt in to the nitty gritty of all that's truly available to mods on the old system, you could, with pretty good certainty...identify socks....

I usually figured it out in two to five posts...no equipment necessary. :)
I've never cared enough to be bothered to look into it. If someone needs alter egos to reaffirm their positions they've already lost the debate. I have ZERO respect for intentional alt account creators. There is a rare occasion when it might be necessary like a lost email or sign in details but other than that, no.

Forum List

Back