Mubarak Should Go and the Muslim Brotherhood Should NOT replace him

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by PLYMCO_PILGRIM, Feb 1, 2011.

1. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Mubarak, like most of the leaders we have supported in the middle east, is abusive of human rights and bad to his people in general. Our support of him, in itself, makes our country hypocrites as we say we stand for freedom and justice yet we have supported people like Mubarak, Saddam Hussein, and the old Sha of Iran.

This is why many in the middle east do not like America and we need to stop it now.

This is also why would also shouldn't support the Muslim Brotherhood people as they will just do to the egyptians what the Iatollah did to the Iranians.

Study history and learn from our experiences in the late 70's with Iran people. Lets not repeat the same mistakes all over again.

No I dont have the answer and no I don't know who should run egypt but I do know that backing either one of the two I mentioned would continue to make america look like the hypocrites we have been in the middle east for several decades now.

Sorry had to get that out of my head.

Let me know what you guys think....I want to hear especially from anyone who is from the middle east or has lived there....let me know how off or on base I am.

2. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Anyone out there?

3. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Yo

I agree though personally I don't think we should support or not support anybody vying for power in Egypt. It's their House let them take care of it.

If the Suez Canal gets hijacked I am fine with a coalition reopening it but as far as the internal politics of Egypt are concerned we should stay the eff out of them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    We agree.

Most of the hatred for us in the middle east is because we stick our noses in this stuff all the time.

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    i agree with you. egypt is not iran, though. egypt is far more secular than iran and if reforms are encouraged, they will do far better than iran. the imams do not run egypt.

i would just correct one sentence of yours... Mubarak, like most of the leaders we have supported in the middle east, is abusive of human rights and bad to his people in general

replace the words in bold with these underlined words arab world and your assertion is correct. countries, like people, tend to act in their own self-interest, and not the self-interests of others.

6. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Like it or not.

The Muslim Brotherhood is going to a part of any new Egyptian government.

The only question is how big of a part? :cool:

7. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Do you think that is a good or bad thing?

Do you think it would be a good decision or bad decision for america to support them?

And thanks for the post Jillian.

8. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,368
    The region could absolutely go horrid if Iran type govts pop up with radical types ie muslim brotherhood, and other 7th century loving characters. It's already crappy enough over there.

9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,971
    Jordan:
    "But perhaps the most controversial aspect of Tuesday’s election was the decision taken by the opposition Islamic Action Front (IAF), the political arm of the Muslim Brotherhood, to boycott the elections. This is why, despite the government’s upbeat assessment about the election’s mandate and the voter turnout, some observers caution that, while the electoral outcome might strengthen the hand of the government in the short term, it might ultimately prove destabilizing.

Even though seven IAF members defied the leadership’s decision and ran as independents (of which only one won a seat), the overwhelming majority of IAF rank and file participated in the boycott of the election. "

Middle East Policy Council | Jordan's Parliamentary Elections and the Muslim Brotherhood

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    no problem. i always enjoy when you pose those types of questions.

anyone who thinks a theocracy in egypt would be a good thing has things in mind other than our interests and world interests. in fact, i'd go so far as to say their agenda directly opposes our interests.

history has shown that islamic regimes are not democratic... are not good to their people... and are vile to their women. those values don't comport with the idea of a democratic society which the protestors, in egypt, at least, seem to want.