Mubarak Quits Egypt's Ruling Party

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
will it be enough? will it matter?His son too, says hes out of the running.
He'll still be the Prez.....a sop?

I was watching the tele and while hillary is in Munich calling for sppt. fore a transition gov. Kissinger was on saying he thinks they should stop talking, they have sated their case and its time to do what smart diplomats do at times, keep quiet and stop feeling the needs to say something every day absent real changes in the paradigm.

CAIRO - State TV reports that President Hosni Mubarak has resigned from Egypt's ruling party.

His son, Gamal Mubarak, and the National Democratic Party's secretary-general, Safwat el-Sharif, have also resigned, in a new gesture to protesters carrying out a 12-day-old wave of anti-government demonstrations.

However, Mubarak still continues as the nation's president.

State TV said the ruling party's six-member Steering Committee of the General Secretariat stepped down and was replaced. The council was the party's highest decision-making body, and el-Sharif and other outgoing members were some of the most powerful (and to many Egyptians, unpopular) political figures in the regime.

El-Sharif was replaced by Hossam Badrawi, member of the liberal wing of the party who had been sidelined within the NDP ranks in recent years because of his sharp criticisms of some policies.

more at-
Report: Mubarak Quits Egypt's Ruling Party - CBS News

Last edited:
This comes as U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, speaking today at an international security conference in Munich, signaled that U.S. support has swung behind a transition headed by the recently-named vice president, Omar Suleiman.

"There are forces at work in any society, particularly one that is facing these kind of challenges, that will try to derail or overtake the process to pursue their own agenda, which is why I think it's important to follow the transition process announced by the Egyptian government, actually headed by vice-president Omar Suleiman," Clinton said.

This comes as U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, speaking today at an international security conference in Munich, signaled that U.S. support has swung behind a transition headed by the recently-named vice president, Omar Suleiman.

"There are forces at work in any society, particularly one that is facing these kind of challenges, that will try to derail or overtake the process to pursue their own agenda, which is why I think it's important to follow the transition process announced by the Egyptian government, actually headed by vice-president Omar Suleiman," Clinton said.

yup, but it appears that Suleiman is out too. (?)

yup, but it appears that Suleiman is out too. (?)

No, he's the one who was recently named vice president and they are standing behind him as the new leader in the transition until the elections.

The Obama administration on Saturday formally threw its weight behind a gradual transition in Egypt, backing attempts by the country’s vice president, Gen. Omar Suleiman, to broker a compromise with opposition groups and prepare for new elections in September.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/world/middleeast/06munich.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

No, he's the one who was recently named vice president and they are standing behind him as the new leader in the transition until the elections.

The Obama administration on Saturday formally threw its weight behind a gradual transition in Egypt, backing attempts by the country’s vice president, Gen. Omar Suleiman, to broker a compromise with opposition groups and prepare for new elections in September.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/world/middleeast/06munich.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

hummm, I am not sure the 'people' will buy that......hillary better hope so.

hummm, I am not sure the 'people' will buy that......hillary better hope so.

There is a lot of back yard foreign 'policy' going on right now. That's the reason for the waiting out.

I mean this is the Suez canal and now the natural gas mains to Israel have been blown up.

There's a lot of scrambling going on to be sure.

Forum List

Back