MTV's Vote or Die: Campaign of Fear

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.joshclaybourn.com/blog/archives/002603.html

Thanks to Nato Air who sent me the link.

Draft Fear Redux
I wrote last week about the polling data from young voters and the possible effect that draft talk has had on the segment.

A full third (34 percent) of all young voters expect a draft to be enacted as a result of the war on Iraq, with expectations skewing higher among the youngest voters (44 percent of 18 to 21-year-olds).
A culprit in this misperception is undoubtedly "Rock the Vote" campaign, strongly supported by MTV. Their slogan, "Vote or Die," plays upon misplaced fears of the return of a draft. If you don't vote for Kerry, the campaign implies, you will die. (Ironic, isn't it, that "fear mongering" is a charge most often leveled at Bush.)

Upset by the distortions, and the group's non-partisan status, GOP Chairman Ed Gillespie sent a strongly worded letter to Jehmu Greene (pdf), president of Rock the Vote. He accused the group of "promoting a false and misleading campaign designed to scare America's youth into believing that they may be drafted to serve in the military." Last month Rock the Vote sent a mock draft notice by email to over 600,000 email addresses. Gillespie described the reinstatement of the draft as an urban myth and reiterated President Bush's refusal to reinstate it. He ended with this threat: "As a non-partisan organization that enjoys the benefits of being formed under 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code, you have an obligation to immediately cease and desist from promoting or conducting your 'Draft' campaign."

Unpersuaded and undeterred, Jehmu Jehmu Greene responded in a letter (pdf) and described the threat as a "textbook case of attempted censorship." But the arguments Greene uses to support their fears is perhaps the biggest irony of all. "According to the Pentagon's own internal assessment, there are 'inadequate total numbers' of troops to meet U.S. security interests. . . [General John] Keane has told Congress that adding more than 50,000 troops to the Army would require thinking about a return to the draft."

And just who is considering adding tens of thousands of troops to Army levels? None other than John Kerry, who hopes to increase active military enlistment by at least 40,000, an increase Bush does not wish to instate. By Greene's logic (and by extension, General Keane's), the youth of America should indeed fear a draft. But only if John Kerry has his way and increases troop levels.

Such blatant attempts at fear mongering being displayed in all facets of this election from the Left!!! I can only pray that the American people arent as stupid as the Left thinks they are.

Sir Evil said:
man MTV sucks, I haven't watched it since like 1985! but it's an easy way to reach the kids at home with nothing better to do than watch this crap. too bad they have been duped!

Yea too bad for them AND us. we're the ones that'll get fucked if these TV zombies actually get off their asses and vote. Pray for rain.

let's not forget it was Democrat Congressman Charlie Rangel of Harlem who introduced the draft Bill into congress to make the subject part of the National debate.

mtv doesn't even show videos any more hardly... and they're showing orgasms, bisexuality and oral sex on frigging TV at 3 pm? what kind of shit is that for kids to watch?

insein said:

Such blatant attempts at fear mongering being displayed in all facets of this election from the Left!!! I can only pray that the American people arent as stupid as the Left thinks they are.

I wouldn't sweat MTV too much. I would not need the fingers of both hands to count the number of people from the MTV generation who were at the polling place during the last two elections.

Bug said:
Are there any democrats in these forums?

Very few, mostly because they don't care to debate rationally. They usually get banned when they get to the level of obscenity and name calling. That is usually shortly after their first post. Those that do post here regularly have largely earnd the respect of us warmongering, baby killing, Bush loving capitalists (and the other people posting here as well!)

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Bug said:

Yes, but it is principally oriented toward the right/conservative state of mind. Some of these guys will listen to differing points of view and others just slam and insult you. If you are thin skinned, this isnt the place for you. If you support your opinions with some facts or a logical structure you'll do okay. Just spout a bunch of rhetoric and you will not be ignored, you'll be pulverized.

I think it's funny how they try to make it seem like they want it to be about trying to get young people to vote, when it's obvious that they want them to vote a certain way.

insein said:

The slogan "vote or die" I belive has nothing to do with the draft I belive being someone who watchs MTV occasionally when there isn't much on. Too much CNN makes a person boring. Back to the point "vote or die" is in comparsion a bad one I might add to "ride or die" a Ruff Riders theme(a rap group for those of you who don't know). The rap group themes its street sayin stand up and fight or die. Now I belive this is just a "hip" way to try and get more kids to vote. Although MTV hasn't been fair to President Bush, what type of media has? So I think people just looked too deep into this.

If you don't want us kids watching MTV, then give us a fucking job!

I am an AP student with a three five GPA. I work harder than everyone else in my classes, which is why I have a four one GPA after the weight... a near impossibility. I struggle in most subjects, but have great work ethic and natural logic to make up for the utter stupidity I spew all over the place.

I watch MTV because I have nothing better to do. When I am not studying, playing football, listening to my girlfriend bitch, and of course... posting on USMB, I watch MTV and Sports Center. I would love to fill that space with a job, but even Wal Mart didn't hire me. Seriously. I can't get a job anywhere. And I don't know why.

JohnGalt said:

I am an AP student with a three five GPA. I work harder than everyone else in my classes, which is why I have a four one GPA after the weight... a near impossibility. I struggle in most subjects, but have great work ethic and natural logic to make up for the utter stupidity I spew all over the place.

I watch MTV because I have nothing better to do. When I am not studying, playing football, listening to my girlfriend bitch, and of course... posting on USMB, I watch MTV and Sports Center. I would love to fill that space with a job, but even Wal Mart didn't hire me. Seriously. I can't get a job anywhere. And I don't know why.

Watch Fox News, or Cartoon Network. I'd even take CNN or MSNBC over MTV.

As for the job thing, just learn to sell yourself without sounding arrogant, and apply to more places. Some people just aren't hiring.

JohnGalt said:

Play some video games. At least they wont rot your brain.

Bug said:
maybe one or two, mostly hard line right wing Gestapo, I like their views on stomping out the weak and immoral, even in our own ranks.
Good luck finding any Libs,

there are libs on the board.

mtv's vote or die is another bad idea from a network with a long history of them since outliving its usefullness. the only time i wanted to watch MTV in the past 5 years was last year when johnny cash was being hoped to attend. i would have liked to see that, the ovation, love and respect he would have recieved from people as diverse as jay-z to system of a down would have been an inspiring moment in music history. too bad it didn't happen.

and again, where the hell are the videos on MTV anymore?

JohnGalt said:

Nobody is going to GIVE you a job. You have to go out and find it - even if Kerry gets elected.

Flying Duck said:
Nobody is going to GIVE you a job. You have to go out and find it - even if Kerry gets elected.

Notice how I include you entire quote... almost fair, isn't it?

If you even bothered to read my post you would know that WalMart didn't even accept me. I have filled out over 15 applications. Seriously. I cannot find work.

If I owned a company I would go out of my way to track myself down and hire the hell outta me.

JohnGalt said:
Notice how I include you entire quote... almost fair, isn't it?

If you even bothered to read my post you would know that WalMart didn't even accept me. I have filled out over 15 applications. Seriously. I cannot find work.

If I owned a company I would go out of my way to track myself down and hire the hell outta me.

15 applications are not that many. During Clinton's terms I filled out more than 50, interviewed at more than 15 before I chose the job I wanted.

Keep working at it, you will get hired. I would suggest UPS as they are hiring seasonally right now.

dude, I will definetely try that... although I don't think they will hire a 16 year old; but just maybe. I am also going to talk to my school counciler to see if I can't get an internship or something.

Forum List

Back