MTV Turns 25 years old August 1st

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
MTV started on August 1st, 1981.

Yeah, I'm not a fan. At first I was. What I liked about MTV at first was that it was something new and original. Most, not all, of their videos in the old days were more about the music and less about the sex, violence and pushing the envelope of today.

1981, it was so long ago, we were younger and more innocent then, too bad things had to change.

KarlMarx said:
MTV started on August 1st, 1981.

Yeah, I'm not a fan. At first I was. What I liked about MTV at first was that it was something new and original. Most, not all, of their videos in the old days were more about the music and less about the sex, violence and pushing the envelope of today.

1981, it was so long ago, we were younger and more innocent then, too bad things had to change.

AHHHHHH the to the good old days :beer:

BTW, MTV is now the perfect example of all that is wrong with our society. I despise that channel and almost everything it stands for.

Remember, This is coming from there target demographic too. I hate MTV.

MTV was already a year old when I was born, and I'm just old enough to remember the slide from a cool 'hipster' channel that showed a whole new way to listen to music (much like VH1 is now) to a teenage girl's dream with retarded reality shows and more trivia about the musicians than actual music. I even remember "The Brothers Grunt," which followed in the wake of "Beavis and Butthead." Here's the problem, when a TV station turns 25, they usually pay homage to when they started, often showing the things that they showed back then. The problem is that nobody who watched MTV when it started still does, so they're not even bothering to celebrate, as their current audience doesn't know what the world was like without TRL.

Quick trivia question: Name the song of the first music video played on MTV.

Hobbit said:
MTV was already a year old when I was born, and I'm just old enough to remember the slide from a cool 'hipster' channel that showed a whole new way to listen to music (much like VH1 is now) to a teenage girl's dream with retarded reality shows and more trivia about the musicians than actual music. I even remember "The Brothers Grunt," which followed in the wake of "Beavis and Butthead." Here's the problem, when a TV station turns 25, they usually pay homage to when they started, often showing the things that they showed back then. The problem is that nobody who watched MTV when it started still does, so they're not even bothering to celebrate, as their current audience doesn't know what the world was like without TRL.

Quick trivia question: Name the song of the first music video played on MTV.

Video Killed the Radio Star. Kind of ironic since much of the "music" that MTV plays now is done by people with little musical talent.

MTV sux. I hate it now.
Why did they have to start stupid shows that have nothing to do with music.
Headbangers Ball has even gotten softer than it used to be.
Can't blame it all on MTV though, you have to have good music to pick from
in the first place. I could go on but I'll stop or else I'll go off on a rant about
canned music and the corporate fuck sticks that tell us what we can and
cannot play on the airwaves. Not cause it's inappropriate, but because
they're pushing this public image of what they think sells records. Well
Mr. Corporate music man, I say no more. Put something on the shelves
that's worthy of 20 songs and not some burn out, overplayed single with
19 crappy songs. Shit, I've started my rant! Where the hell are the
icons for this decade? Shit they better come up with some quick cause
the disposable retards we have won't stand a chance against some of
the true legends who have pioneered the music we have today. Is it just
me or does the acceptable quality of music, AND I MEAN GOOD MUSIC,
diminishing? Is any monkey who can make power chordes entitled to
a record deal? Fuck!!!!

Here's another funny observation...
Might be common sense to most but I've just noticed major influences from
the 80's in modern music. I believe that this happens every ten years or so
where music shifts between genres. Hard then soft, Hard then soft, throw
a few weirds in there and maybe a yee haw and you have the history of
music. So I might be musically retarded, so what! I know what I like and
I know that not one station around has the balls to fly away from a pre
approved, sponsor prefrenced, music list. I guess I'll sit back and wait for
10 more years to go by before music gets heavy again. I might even be
waiting longer than that. If I ever get rich, I'm starting my own record lable.

5stringJeff said:
Video Killed the Radio Star. Kind of ironic since much of the "music" that MTV plays now is done by people with little musical talent.
no kidding. How can a bunch of guys swinging their arms and legs around like chimps be talented? I could do that if I wanted to and make millions. But I also have taste in music and pride.

I actually liked rap at one time. I remember when rap was just about pre-teen/teenage woes (see Def Squad's "Rappers Delite" or Will Smith's "Parents Just Don't Understand" or if you dare, some of Kris Kross' songs :tng: ) and general life stuff, and wasn't really negative to listen to. Now most rap artist albums have adult ratings talking about killing cops, doing drugs, beating up their 'ho, yet I doubt any REAL adult with any inkling of common sense or taste would listen to that crap.

When did Ozy become an actor?
when did Montly Crew become classic rock?

Whatever happened to Springstein
Madonna
way before Nirvanna, there was U2 and Blondie
and music still on MTV

*favorite song*

Said1 said:
Ouch. That hurts. Do you remember when they recorded 'Smokin in the boys room' and hearing the same thing about Brownsville Station. :laugh:

Do you remember that video??

I used to love watching MTV especially after Duran Duran started making music videos that were like small movies. We used to sit around watching head bangers ball also.

Ahhhhhhh the good old days when there was still music on MTV and I had all day with nothing to do but sit around and watch tv. :guitar1:

You all sound very old and very crotchity...:laugh:

I watch the digital cable mtv channels that still play strictly videos... i almost never watch MTV

and Hobbit, you can't be serious about today's VH1 being what MTV used to be. VH1 with BEST WEEK EVER airing every 20 minutes only interrupted by top 340 rock manicures and I love the 1940's? The only time they play videos is late at night, which coincidentally is when MTV still does, albeit only 3 at a time between commercials, and only the same 10 every night.

VH1 is today's MTV, but just for a demographic that's 10 years older. They both hold little interest to me.

Trigg said:
Do you remember that video??

I used to love watching MTV especially after Duran Duran started making music videos that were like small movies. We used to sit around watching head bangers ball also.

Ahhhhhhh the good old days when there was still music on MTV and I had all day with nothing to do but sit around and watch tv. :guitar1:
Headbangers Ball is still on!
http://www.mtv2.com/#series/10896

Forum List

Back