MTV documentaries on Iraq

Bern80

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2004
As a conservative you can imagine my initial skepticism about a documentary done by MTV on our troops in Iraq. I have to say though that as of late it is the most accurate depiction of what is really going on there that I have seen. MTV has done a Choose or Lose Segement on Iraq and a True Life documentary.

The coolest and most positive thing is saw in these documentaries were the young people that have started their own businesses and newspapers since the regime has fallen. It paints a completely different picture of life for Iraqi people then what we are getting from the major news networks. Positive things really are happening for these people created either by their own efforts, ours or a combination.

The True Life piece was about a group of our service women who work in a hospital in Baghdad. Particularily wrenching was seeing an Iraqi man who was the victim of a polics station bombing. He had his right leg amputated at the knee and his left heel was full of shrapnel. The parents of the man kept saying how much they thought of the woman taking care of him. The woman made an excellent point that the man probably would be a lot worse of if not for the treatment provided by our service women and men and women.

The nice thing about the both of these series is that there really wasn't a filter. It was simply U.S. troops and Iraqi citizens saying what they think about the situation. The reality is that both sides seem to want the same thing. U.S. service men and women know we need to be there. Most of the Iraqis seemed to grasp this as well and were genuinely thankful. Both sides however want the U.S. out of there as soon as possible.

Forum List

Back