MSNBC's Ratigan, "meltdown rant"

If there is one person on MSNBC that Conservatives should watch, it's Ratigan. He pulls no punches on anyone and I think he's right on the button with what's wrong.

here's the rant....

‪Dylan Ratigan (rightfully) loses it on air‬‏ - YouTube

He is spot on! There is no legislation, or repeal of legislation, that will do any good until our politicians are no longer bought and paid for. The problem is that there is almost no way to do that. No matter what type of rules and regulations you dream up stating that politicians can't accept campaign money, they WILL find a way around it. They won't accept the money, they'll create a puppet business that accepts and uses the money for them. You can't outlaw political commercials, that's against the 1st amendment.

How do you take campaign money away from politicians???

campaign finance reform,

They can still have puppet organizations collect and use the money.

publicly funded campaigns,

Politicians will never turn down more money.

runoff voting,

I don't see how that would help anything. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

maybe term limits.

Whether the people being paid off are new guys or old guys really won't make a difference.

there are a ton of options, and they're pretty easy to do. the thing is, we've got this wacky idea going that spending money is speech and corporations are people, and until we turn that around, corporations are going to be the only people with rights and money is going to be the only form of speech, because they're drowning out everything and everyone else.

Even if you reverse that, businesses themselves can still put out whatever commercials they want on behalf of the candidate.

They can still have puppet organizations collect and use the money.
but if it's made illegal they'll run quite a risk by doing that.

Politicians will never turn down more money.
that's why the money needs to be taken off the table.

I don't see how that would help anything. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.
runoff voting creates coalition governments, and that makes it a lot less palatable for one party to hold the country hostage to make the other party look bad. it stops being an either-or game, which is a big part of what's killing us now.

Whether the people being paid off are new guys or old guys really won't make a difference.
i'm actually iffy on term limits too.

Even if you reverse that, businesses themselves can still put out whatever commercials they want on behalf of the candidate.
isn't that what the campaign finance reform part is meant to address?

Where will the funding for the $115 Trillion in US unfunded liabilities come from? See: US Debt Clock

NPR says US unfunded liabilities come to $211 Trillion. Clearly this puts way further up a creek without a paddle.

NPR: A National Debt Of $14 Trillion? Try $211 Trillion
"If you add up all the promises that have been made for spending obligations, including defense expenditures, and you subtract all the taxes that we expect to collect, the difference is $211 trillion. That's the fiscal gap," he says. "That's our true indebtedness."

- Who is going to fix this?

- Can it be fixed?

- Who is going to pay for it?

It can't be fixed in one year, or maybe in ten years but it can and will be fixed.

Who is going to pay for it? A good question, in the past the working and middle classes have always paid for it. I doubt that will change. The New Right (NR) complains the rich pay too mcuh in taxes and should pay less for, they argue, the rich are the ones who create jobs. I don't see any evidence that this is true. Bush cut taxes twice and Obama continued the tax cuts rather than allow them to expire and unemployment remains high, even with a war time economy.

What if all the troops came home? Would they have jobs waiting for them, or would they too become members of the unemployed? If the NR gets its way more civil servents, local, state and federal will lose their jobs, smaller government means less employees, does it not?

Who will pay their rent and where will the soldiers and sallors live once seperated from active duty?

Things look bleak now but the adults will soon be back in control; government will once again begin to spend, the long term debt will grow but more slowly, for taxes will be raised, and with this revenue roads will be built, and railroads too; new power plants and refineries will come on line and small buisnesses will fourish in their shadow.

the ratigan rant was outstanding. i have no idea how that guy's still on the air, i'm expecting him to get replaced by an establishment drone any day now.

i think he's right, the first thing that needs to happen is obama or somebody in power needs to use the bully pulpit and call these plutocrats out by name, vigorously, and explain clearly and honestly what happened to cause this collapse. once he does that maybe people's perceptions will change. no one else is gonna do it. congress isn't going to do it.

What the hell are you talking about? Obama's already told us sho caused the mess: Bush, the Tea Party, Conservatives, ATM's, Wall Street, gridlock, etc.

What else do you want him to say?

:lol:

strangely, i think you got it. he needs to be more specific, and he needs to name names, and he needs to explain the exact way congress has become bought by special interests.

hey, don't get me wrong, i don't think he's going to do that. but at least his base and independents can pressure him. a republican president isn't EVER going to get pressured by a conservative base to expose a corrupt system. last republican to do that was dwight eisenhower.

can you imagine? if obama gave his own version of eisenhower's retirement speech?
I will name names, clinton dodd, frank, freddie and fannie. The housing market colapse caused by the fore mention through their destructive policies. Obamaturd is carrying the tradition forward.

If there is one person on MSNBC that Conservatives should watch, it's Ratigan. He pulls no punches on anyone and I think he's right on the button with what's wrong.

here's the rant....

That was AMAZING.

People have been screaming it for years. I'm glad someone is finally listening. It ain't complicated. The financial industry ( a really moronic term ) is screwing America.

the ratigan rant was outstanding. i have no idea how that guy's still on the air, i'm expecting him to get replaced by an establishment drone any day now.

i think he's right, the first thing that needs to happen is obama or somebody in power needs to use the bully pulpit and call these plutocrats out by name, vigorously, and explain clearly and honestly what happened to cause this collapse. once he does that maybe people's perceptions will change. no one else is gonna do it. congress isn't going to do it.

What the hell are you talking about? Obama's already told us sho caused the mess: Bush, the Tea Party, Conservatives, ATM's, Wall Street, gridlock, etc.

What else do you want him to say?

:lol:

strangely, i think you got it. he needs to be more specific, and he needs to name names, and he needs to explain the exact way congress has become bought by special interests.

hey, don't get me wrong, i don't think he's going to do that. but at least his base and independents can pressure him. a republican president isn't EVER going to get pressured by a conservative base to expose a corrupt system. last republican to do that was dwight eisenhower.

can you imagine? if obama gave his own version of eisenhower's retirement speech?
You're kidding, right?
Look, Obama may be President which to most of us is an office of leadership.
However, Obama like most modern day elected officials is a politician first. That means he always keeps his options open. Naming names or just doing the right thing such as admitting his current economic policy is not working is not in him. He must do what he must to keep his base happy and piss off as few on the opposing side as possible.
Obama's first administrative goal is to make sure he has a second administration.

Last edited:
Obama's first administrative goal is to make sure he has a second administration.
he might need to rethink that goal since his country's burning down around his (somewhat sizeable) ears. otherwise his second administration he may be presiding over a failed state.

Is he correct? You betcha. So how about you self labeled 'Independents' offer an idea or two on the best action plan. I for one am a bit tired of "ain't if awful" and "shrink government" posts. Something pragmatic, thought provoking and thought out would be appreciated?

HA!!!! His rant could have been shortened into the part where he said that no politician would ever say these things because they'd lose their campaign funding.
Ratigan is spot on. In a perfect world the things he suggested are realistic and accurate. This isn't a perfect world. And unless Ratigan himself or someone like him ran for and won the White House, nothing will change.
I believe this because federal elected offices are no longer for statesmen, they are for politicians. And politicians are spineless wonks who will do anything to get re-elected.
This is another idea that makes Congressional term limits a great idea.

here's the rant....

He is spot on! There is no legislation, or repeal of legislation, that will do any good until our politicians are no longer bought and paid for. The problem is that there is almost no way to do that. No matter what type of rules and regulations you dream up stating that politicians can't accept campaign money, they WILL find a way around it. They won't accept the money, they'll create a puppet business that accepts and uses the money for them. You can't outlaw political commercials, that's against the 1st amendment.

How do you take campaign money away from politicians???
You don;t take it away. You make it unnecessary.
Look, the airwaves belong to the public. Tv and radio stations use OUR airwaves free of charge.
As much I despise government's interfering role in private business, I have suggested that all tv and radio stations be required to run political ads for all candidates running for office in the Designated Market Area (DMA) of those stations and do it free of charge to the candidate.
If a candidate wishes to place signs or other printed material, he can do it out of his own pocket or he can borrow the money from a bank with a personal loan. People with bad credit should not be running for political office so there's no worries there.
Money has to be taken out of politics. It has to be taken out of campaigns as well.
The offering or donating of money to a political campaign is not a form of speech.
I am sick of looking at millionaire politicians or politicians who use the citizen legislature to enrich themselves....

And Social Security is still broke

Social Security is the lesser of the unfunded mandate problems. The worst are Medicare & Prescription Drugs. Looks like there will have to be massive cuts in Medicare & Prescription Drugs. This will kill-off enough Seniors to fix the Social Security deficit.

That is the Democrats Plan. Obamacare cuts healthcare funding for those 50 years & older. They want to kill the old people to prevent them from drawing Social Security.
emanuel.jpg

Forum List

Back