MSNBC's 'Everyday Racism in America': Real stories of racial bias

When I was in college I needed a new place to stay and found one in a nice complex a little bit outside of downtown Daytona Beach. I called the number in the newspaper ad (before the internet & mobile phones) and made arrangements to visit the property after classes while on my way to work. When I arrived the woman told me that they didn't have any vacancies even though I told her I had just spoken with her that morning and she said she did. She wasn't having it so I left.

When I got to work I was pretty distressed about what had just happened because I felt that she was lying to me and just didn't realize over the phone that I was black so my boss asked me for the number from the ad. He called her up, introduced himself as a police detective and made up some story about needing to rent an apartment. She couldn't get him down there fast enough to see the apartment that hadn't existed just an hour previously.

If I had known then what I know now regarding filing a housing discrimination complaint, particularly with a police detective as my witness, I'm sure I could have prevailed in a charge against the complex but my parents raised us to not fret over these types of things reminding us that you don't want to live or be around people like that anyway. They were right in the sense that I ended up with an even nicer place, but we cannot continue to allow other people who do not have our best interests at heart, make decisions for us on where we can live, work, go to school or even socialize, etc. particularly when they are violating the law by doing so.
Deep Dindu

You refuse to blame your own race, even though their general behavior is the only cause of discrimination. Prejudice does not exist; it is a logical and healthy reaction after sufficient experiences with your race and the fact that the African jungle race is never held accountable for its long history of unfitness. Since this judgment comes after, it cannot be pre-, which is why "prejudice" is an illegitimate word that intentionally jumps to false conclusions about which race is to be blamed.

So it isn't a discussion after all. Didn't think so. These discussions never are. They are whine fests demanding adequate white guilt, which is never enough.

I feel badly for most of the declarants. They are suffering from the effects of the vast majority of black people who are not as nice as these appear to be trying to be.

How about we have a discussion of black violence. The ones who tear up restaurants ought to be worth a mention. The men who play the knockout game on 80 year old white women in a walker. Let's hear a few of those stories. Make it a real discussion where white people can finally sit down and say "What the hell is wrong with you people any way?"

We'll be discussing the show about everyday racism. You don't want to discuss violence. Whts have murdered millions here in this nation. And whites have committed millions more acts if violence against people of color. You don't have what it takes to deal with the truth.

We are done with being lectured.

Get back to us when you are willing to listen as well as talk.

ROFLMAO @ "We/Us".
Multiple personality disorder?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
We'll be discussing the show about everyday racism
While it is fresh on my mind I want to comment on last night’s MSNBC town hall on Everyday Racism.

I loved the man who first appeared on the screen and told us he was a Christian and a nice guy and that he was hurt when people feared him.

I loved the man who explained the effort it took to “gear up” every single day and get mentally ready for what he knew was coming when he walked out his front door. He explained that it was frustrating and exhausting. I felt for him because my husband has been telling me the same thing for years.

I appreciated the speaker who explained that for many people Black lives matter less than white comfort. When folks call the police for things that are not criminal, they are saying “my discomfort with you and your presence is more important than you are.”

I was glad one gentleman in law enforcement said, “Do not call the police unless you want an armed response because that’s what we do.” He explained that there used to be a time when people could solve their own disputes through conversation and compromise. Now they just call the police for every perceived threat, real or imagined.

Heather McGhee said that the idea of heirarchy in America is a very well marketed idea. She encouraged us to aim our efforts to fight racism at the perpetrators of this idea and not so much at those who are desperate enough to buy that idea. What we need, she said, is truth and reconciliation. She believes it is possible. And so do I.

We'll be discussing the show about everyday racism
While it is fresh on my mind I want to comment on last night’s MSNBC town hall on Everyday Racism.

I loved the man who first appeared on the screen and told us he was a Christian and a nice guy and that he was hurt when people feared him.

I loved the man who explained the effort it took to “gear up” every single day and get mentally ready for what he knew was coming when he walked out his front door. He explained that it was frustrating and exhausting. I felt for him because my husband has been telling me the same thing for years.

I appreciated the speaker who explained that for many people Black lives matter less than white comfort. When folks call the police for things that are not criminal, they are saying “my discomfort with you and your presence is more important than you are.”

I was glad one gentleman in law enforcement said, “Do not call the police unless you want an armed response because that’s what we do.” He explained that there used to be a time when people could solve their own disputes through conversation and compromise. Now they just call the police for every perceived threat, real or imagined.

Heather McGhee said that the idea of heirarchy in America is a very well marketed idea. She encouraged us to aim our efforts to fight racism at the perpetrators of this idea and not so much at those who are desperate enough to buy that idea. What we need, she said, is truth and reconciliation. She believes it is possible. And so do I.

I agree with you about everything you have said. I am going to point out the third paragraph because so many whites here at USMB don't seem to understand just how real what that guy says is. They get to wake up every morning and go out into the world with no more than the normal concerns and think that everybody has the same experience. This is the damage continuing racism causes but to these guys all that stopped in the 60's.

When I was in college I needed a new place to stay and found one in a nice complex a little bit outside of downtown Daytona Beach. I called the number in the newspaper ad (before the internet & mobile phones) and made arrangements to visit the property after classes while on my way to work. When I arrived the woman told me that they didn't have any vacancies even though I told her I had just spoken with her that morning and she said she did. She wasn't having it so I left.

When I got to work I was pretty distressed about what had just happened because I felt that she was lying to me and just didn't realize over the phone that I was black so my boss asked me for the number from the ad. He called her up, introduced himself as a police detective and made up some story about needing to rent an apartment. She couldn't get him down there fast enough to see the apartment that hadn't existed just an hour previously.

If I had known then what I know now regarding filing a housing discrimination complaint, particularly with a police detective as my witness, I'm sure I could have prevailed in a charge against the complex but my parents raised us to not fret over these types of things reminding us that you don't want to live or be around people like that anyway. They were right in the sense that I ended up with an even nicer place, but we cannot continue to allow other people who do not have our best interests at heart, make decisions for us on where we can live, work, go to school or even socialize, etc. particularly when they are violating the law by doing so.
Deep Dindu

You refuse to blame your own race, even though their general behavior is the only cause of discrimination. Prejudice does not exist; it is a logical and healthy reaction after sufficient experiences with your race and the fact that the African jungle race is never held accountable for its long history of unfitness. Since this judgment comes after, it cannot be pre-, which is why "prejudice" is an illegitimate word that intentionally jumps to false conclusions about which race is to be blamed.

You refuse to take responsibility for what your race does.

Black pathologies are things like high rates of poverty, crime, rape, imprisonment, unemployment, fatherlessness, out-of-wedlock births, drug use and dropping out of high school. Depending on who you ask, pathologies are rooted in bad genetics, bad upbringing, bad values or some other inner fault of black people.

How come I talk so little about black pathologies?

In an abusive relationship where the husband beats the wife there is much talk about what is wrong with the woman, but almost no talk about what is wrong with the man. His violence is blamed on her: if dinner was on time, if the house was cleaner, etc, then he would not have to hit her.

Is the woman perfect? No. Does she have faults? Yes. Should she do better. Of course.

But it is also besides the point.

Even if she were perfect, her troubles would not go away. Because he would be unchanged.

The white relationship with blacks used to be nakedly abusive: it featured whips and chains and rapes and cutting off body parts and breaking up families. And later, hangings and bombings and never letting blacks forget that they were the lowest of low.

The abusive mindset remains. You can tell because in the American mainstream you hear plenty about black pathologies, but almost nothing about white pathologies. Just googling the phrases shows that it is 93.7% “black pathologies” to 6.3% “white pathologies”.

All our lives over and over again we hear all about what is wrong with black people. We have got so used to it that some expect me to do it too. Well, screw that. It is not the heart of the matter and, given how things are, it only feeds the racism – both white racism and internalized black racism.

Further, most pathologies are driven by white racism itself. (Though not all, such as illegitimacy.)

For example, here is the high school drop out rate (according to the 2000 census, leaving out Hispanics):

• 15.3% white
  • 29.1% black
Compare that to Native Americans: 27.4%.

Or the poverty rate:

• 9.4% white
  • 24.9% black
Compare that to Native Americans: 25.1%.

Or median personal income:

• $23,600 white
  • $16,300 black
Compare that to Native Americans: $14,400.

How odd.

How odd that Native Americans should have none of the black pathologies and yet have all the bad that goes with it in terms of poverty, low income and high school drop out rates.

How odd that the poverty rate is almost the same as the high school drop out rate for blacks and Native Americans – but, strangely, not for whites.

How odd that it is whites who are the ones with a long and ugly history of racism against blacks and Natives – and they are also the ones who run most of the schools and do most of the hiring.

How odd that whites say they are over racism and yet are uncomfortable talking about it.

How odd that people want me to be more “even handed” and find more fault with blacks and less with whites.

I’ve experienced racism too many times to count. Blacks are the most racist people in America.

Most white Americans are blind to their racism. At least seven out of ten. And even those whites who do see it, most think it is not all that serious. Most whites live in nearly all-white neighbourhoods and see nothing racist in that. And when blacks do complain of racism, most whites do not believe it.

So why are whites so blind to their own racism? There is a short answer and a long answer.

The short answer is that they are not directly affected by it. They are never at the receiving end. Because they are white.

So when blacks talk about racism whites either have a hard time understanding it – because it is not something they have ever experienced – or they think blacks are making a big deal out of nothing: they are being too sensitive, they are living in the past and all that.

That is the short answer. The long answer is this:

America was founded on two crimes: taking the land of the red man and bringing the black man in chains to work it. To feel right and good about that whites had to be racist. They had to think of themselves as far better and more human than others.

So not only was the country built on racism, so were the hearts and minds of white people.

Back then racism was open, naked, violent and respectable. So respectable, in fact, that any white person who was was not racist, who related to blacks as equals, was called names or worse!

But then all that changed.

Starting in the 1970s racism became a sin among white Americans. It became kind of like how sex used to be: something you did not talk about openly and when you did you felt uncomfortable about it. It even had dirty words to go with it, especially the n-word. “Racist” became one of the worst things you could call a white person.

Because racism was no longer respectable it weakened considerably. But it was still there, it was still a part of how whites saw themselves and the world – but now they could not admit to it!

So then it got strange:

On the one hand, to hold on to their unfair position and advantages in society, to their white privilege, and feel right and good about it, whites had to believe racist lies. Like that blacks lacked brains or a willingness to work hard.

And yet, on the other hand, they knew that racism was wrong.

So in the 1970s whites reached a fork in the road: either give up racism and its advantages, in pride, position and wealth, or hang onto racism by becoming blind to it.

As it turned out, they gave up some of their advantages, like places at universities, but by and large they became blind. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

I’ve experienced racism too many times to count. Blacks are the most racist people in America.

Most white Americans are blind to their racism. At least seven out of ten. And even those whites who do see it, most think it is not all that serious. Most whites live in nearly all-white neighbourhoods and see nothing racist in that. And when blacks do complain of racism, most whites do not believe it.

So why are whites so blind to their own racism? There is a short answer and a long answer.

The short answer is that they are not directly affected by it. They are never at the receiving end. Because they are white.

So when blacks talk about racism whites either have a hard time understanding it – because it is not something they have ever experienced – or they think blacks are making a big deal out of nothing: they are being too sensitive, they are living in the past and all that.

America was founded on two crimes: taking the land of the red man and bringing the black man in chains to work it. To feel right and good about that whites had to be racist. They had to think of themselves as far better and more human than others.

So not only was the country built on racism, so were the hearts and minds of white people.

Back then racism was open, naked, violent and respectable. So respectable, in fact, that any white person who was was not racist, who related to blacks as equals, was called names or worse!

Starting in the 1970s racism became a sin among white Americans. It became kind of like how sex used to be: something you did not talk about openly and when you did you felt uncomfortable about it. It even had dirty words to go with it, especially the n-word. “Racist” became one of the worst things you could call a white person.

Because racism was no longer respectable it weakened considerably. But it was still there, it was still a part of how whites saw themselves and the world – but now they could not admit to it!

So then it got strange:

On the one hand, to hold on to their unfair position and advantages in society, to their white privilege, and feel right and good about it, whites had to believe racist lies. Like that blacks lacked brains or a willingness to work hard.

So in the 1970s whites reached a fork in the road: either give up racism and its advantages, in pride, position and wealth, or hang onto racism by becoming blind to it.

As it turned out, they gave up some of their advantages, like places at universities, but by and large they became blind. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

ZZZZzzzzzz......

I have been subjected to racism many many times. Your rambling bull shit doesn’t change that.

So then it got strange:

ZZZZzzzzzz......

I have been subjected to racism many many times. Your rambling bull shit doesn’t change that.

Sure, right.

Of course, I never watch MSNBC, but it's fine that they are presenting "Everyday racism in America." I'm sure that the stories are interesting.

I do hope, however, that they will also present a series entitled "Everyday violent crime in America."
I would then watch MSNBC to hear about the sickening violence that is visited on so many innocent people 24/7 in America.

And the number one priority.........

BW7Pcto.png

Seems to me that most of the abuse and oppression that befalls minorities and the poor happens in areas politically controlled by the Democratic Party, sure they deny it and deny responsibility but that is the reality, they own the rotten statistics..

Who could possibly believe they want or could solve the issues, they revel in them?

2018 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

So it isn't a discussion after all. Didn't think so. These discussions never are. They are whine fests demanding adequate white guilt, which is never enough.

I feel badly for most of the declarants. They are suffering from the effects of the vast majority of black people who are not as nice as these appear to be trying to be.

How about we have a discussion of black violence. The ones who tear up restaurants ought to be worth a mention. The men who play the knockout game on 80 year old white women in a walker. Let's hear a few of those stories. Make it a real discussion where white people can finally sit down and say "What the hell is wrong with you people any way?"

We'll be discussing the show about everyday racism. You don't want to discuss violence. Whts have murdered millions here in this nation. And whites have committed millions more acts if violence against people of color. You don't have what it takes to deal with the truth.

ROFLMAO @ "We/Us".

I feel comfortable talking for the majority of whites on this subject.

We are done being lectured.

ROFLMAO @ "We/Us".

You don’t.

ROFLMAO @ "We/Us".

You don’t.

Exactly. Most decent people would not have the arrogance to even make such a statement.

ROFLMAO @ "We/Us".

Speaking for myself, I'm willing to talk and listen. But I certainly do not feel comfortable "speaking for the majority" of black people.

Only a self centered and arrogant fool would appoint themselves to such a role.

You do not have a shred of humility or decency.

Seems to me that most of the abuse and oppression that befalls minorities and the poor happens in areas politically controlled by the Democratic Party, sure they deny it and deny responsibility but that is the reality, they own the rotten statistics..

Who could possibly believe they want or could solve the issues, they revel in them?

2018 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

Not true.

Example: Flint Michigan. They can't drink their water. They have a democratic mayor. To republicans like you, Flint is messed up because of democrats. Except the decision to change the water source used in Flint that sent them the poisoned water was made by a republican.

ROFLMAO @ "We/Us".

Speaking for myself, I'm willing to talk and listen. But I certainly do not feel comfortable "speaking for the majority" of black people.

Im2 needs to read your post.

ROFLMAO @ "We/Us".

I think that in here given we are few in number, we do represent black people. Certainly we speak more to the reality of blacks than any of these whites here and while we may not speak for all 40 plus million, these guys only use that "you don't speak for all blacks" line to deny what we say. They seem to think they can speak for the majority of all blacks and can do so better than we can.

Forum List

Back