MSNBC Trashes Obama's Address: Compared To Carter, "I Don't Sense Executive Command

President Reagan, possibly more than any other president, was a visionary. He didn’t always have all the T’s crossed and I’s dotted or all the blanks filled in, but he had a very clear picture in his mind of what the best possible outcome would look like. But he had no illusions that you get from here to there without some serious planning and strategy for success. He also discarded the Carter Administration tactic of throwing large sums of money against the wall hoping something, anything would work.

Our current president fancies himself a visionary. Unfortunately his vision is so clouded that he has no picture for what the best possible outcome would look like. Nor does he have a clue what planning needs to be done or any strategy for success. And he has also re-established the tactic of throwing large sums of money against the wall hoping something, anything will work.

Obama outdoes any of his predecessors in casting blame though. When confronted with a disaster in the Gulf, he blames BP, he blames his predecessor for bequeathing him an inept bureaucracy, and he lectures us again on our dependence on petroleum. He, Obama, has no responsibility or culpability of any kind or any acknowledgement that it was his own department head that he appointed who signed off on the BP project and that he has turned down all the offers of experts who were ready to come to the rescue within the first three days. Eighteen months into his Presidency, he still blames all our economic woes on his predecessor despite committing trillions in mostly borrowed funds with the promise that would save us and put us on the immediate path to recovery.

All this was illustrated in last night’s speech. Alas, our President isn’t an executive. He isn’t a manager. And he is only a pretend visionary. But he’s a very good politician to have persuaded so many of you that the speech was wonderful. I’ll give him that.

Two words: Tee Time. A twenty minute meeting with BP execs? Uh Mr. President,this is kind of a big deal so maybe you could spare more than twenty minutes for this incredibly important meeting. What did his twenty minute meeting accomplish? Just another pathetic photo-op in my opinion. Oh well,duty calls. Gotta make that tee time. :(

White wingers don't understand that MSNBC has criticized Obama many times. They just assume all networks are as trashy as Fox. It's because their little peabrains have been completely corrupted by their corporate masters. You can tell them, hell, you can show it to them and they still won't believe the truth.

But they will believe, "kill granda" and "death panels". The more ridiculous it sounds, the more likely they are to believe it. Is it any wonder they think "Noah's Ark" is a "true story"? These people want to run a country. THIS country. They just ran it for 8 years and left disaster everywhere. Worse, they spread disaster all over the globe. Giving them another chance scares the "beJesus" out of me.

For every clip you can post where MSNBC criticized Obama before this oil spill fiasco I can post dozens like this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmVGeEvXyoU]YouTube - MSNBC's Chris Matthews On Obama "I Forgot He Was Black Tonight"[/ame]

How many can you post from Fox criticizing ANY Republican?

The real problem is they want Obama to become "aggressive".

The US has no ability to close this gushing well, none whatsoever. Only a true idiot would bitch at someone whose help you need. There is plenty of time for that later.
You need to push, you need to cajole. Even show a little exasperation, but always be supportive. Until the well is closed.

Then you can go nuts.

What is wrong with these people? Does EVERYTHING have to be explained?

Obama was walking a thin line. He was about to meet with the BP brass in less that 24 hours. He put the facts out there and said how we were going to proceed. I agree with NY, if he had come out and repeated the words of the GOP sainted Lush Rimbaugh, he would have been killed. Which proves that no one really takes fat boy seriously anymore.

If he comes away with 20 Billion dollars in escrowed BP money, then he has made a difference.

I must have missed the part where he said how we are going to proceed, all I got was the part that he is going to study and think about how to proceed. Along with the part where he totally tried to rewrite history, again.

Yea a 20 Minute meeting sure did accomplish a lot. Man,these Hopey Changey sycophants really have lost it at this point. Continuing to defend the indefensible. This "meeting" was nothing more than a pathetic photo-op. Seriously,20 Minutes?? Oh well,duty calls. Gotta make that tee time i guess. :(

Weren't you guy who said you believed Obama was honorable/honest and you'd take him on his word for whatever he said? lol

I've already explained this. The political 'news' media decides on narratives to 'theme' ongoing stories. The main narrative they decided on with this one was to nitpick everything the president does or says about the crisis. The media has made this about Obama so they have something to talk/gossip about that they think people will tune in to.

I also told you, presciently, that the media has set Obama's Pass/Fail bar on this at Perfect/Imperfect.

The speech was Imperfect, therefore, the speech was a Failure. The media reaction was exactly in keeping with my model.

...so see, I told you so. You should pay attention to what I tell you. :lol:

It is a vast, right wing, media conspiracy.

Got it.

Haven't I hear that before?:confused:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI_SqqJIU14]YouTube - Hillary Clinton: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy[/ame]

President Reagan, possibly more than any other president, was a visionary. [...]
Ronald Reagan was a Grade-B movie actor who got over on the mass of narrow-minded Conservatives who are easily swindled by anyone who is draped in a flag and talks a lot of patriotic bullshit. He was a dunce, the archetypal corporate puppet and a union-busting sonofabitch who sowed the seeds of the economic and environmental problems we're having today.

Jimmy Carter had a lot of problems but he was an honest, decent man who had a sincere interest in doing what was best for the Nation. He deserved a second term and we should have given it to him instead of tossing him aside for the first representative of the Military Industrial Complex and the architect of America's decline.

To hell with Ronald Reagan!

they thought he should have used it as a chance to be more aggressive.

but mike allen at politico liked it.... funny you didn't pick that video. mike is right of center and his comment was actually at the same link.

bummer the obama derangement syndrome runs so deep.

RealClearPolitics - Video - POLITICO: Obama Used "Commander-In-Chief" Language

There are three entirely separate criticisms that I'm seeing:

1. That he was not specific enough. (He relayed all that he KNEW to date about the spill itself, which he, personally, can do nothing about; informed the people in the affected Gulf states what he intended to do in order to keep them solvent; and of course never intended to get policy-specific over energy.)

2. That he didn't portray "leadership." (Whatever that's supposed to mean. More like Daddy Reagan's calming voice? More like Clinton's "I feel your pain"? Did people want warm and fuzzy or an analysis to date in honest language?)

3. From the Republicans--don't even attempt to bring energy policy to the table. (In other words, we don't give a shit what happens in the Gulf, we'll obstruct any attempt to change the status quo.)

The frustration is, as some have suggested, similar to Carter's problem when day after day went by and the hostages remained imprisoned in Iran. Nevermind that without doubt everything possible was being done to negotiate their freedom but that all of America didn't get every memo, the simple fact Carter was unsuccessful is all they saw. Of course we also didn't get the secret memo that a deal was in the works to sell weapons to Iran in exchange for the hostages. How ironic that the hostages were free as soon as Reagan took the oath of office. But hey, that's another story.

Do you think there is some sort of secret plan to deal with this oil spill? If not, your comparison loses me. This would have been a great speech for him to give, 7 weeks ago. Now it just sounds like he is asking questions and searching for answers that he should have demanded back then.

Hey Mr. President,it's about the Gulf not the Golf. Someone should have told him that early on. Meanwhile,the spill goes on. How sad.

Ah, see, THERE'S a poster blaming Obama for the spill. Who say NO ONE is blaming him for the spill?

You screwball...he's not blaming Obama for the spill...he's saying Obama's inaction and ineffectual leadership on this issue is causing unnecessary damage in the Gulf....I agree.

LOOK AT THAT FRICKEN SPILL CAM!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Good to see this administration cares so much. This monumental catastrophe only warranted a 20 Minute meeting? Wow,this President can't seem to anything right. Even the most brain-dead Hopey Changey sycophant would have to conclude that this "meeting" was just a pathetic photo-op. Meanwhile,the spill goes on. How sad.

Last night's address wasn't aimed at political junkies and political junkie pundits.

Obviously not. He's already had everything thrown at him already by the rabid right. Yesterday, on the Senate floor, McConnell began wagging his finger before he even knew what the speech would say that Obama shouldn't think he can get away with sticking any comment in the speech about an energy bill. I can't wait for the day when Obama gives a flying finger to those used car salesmen like McConnell and Boehner who set in motion all the political talking points in order to rev up a sadly uninformed base.

Why does Obama turn everything into a chance to promote a political agenda. A lot of people rightly criticize Bush for his politics, but he did not stand on the rubble of the Twin Towers and call for passing the Patriot Act. He did not stump the nation and hold town halls to gather support for the invasion if Iraq.

Really...

...since when did people like you oppose deepwater drilling?

Answer me this. Why did Congress in 1995 cut royalty rates for deepwater drilling in the Gulf?

Because environuts wouldn't let them approve drilling on land, and they needed to encourage oil companies to take risks they would not otherwise take.

Last night's address wasn't aimed at political junkies and political junkie pundits.

Obviously not. He's already had everything thrown at him already by the rabid right. Yesterday, on the Senate floor, McConnell began wagging his finger before he even knew what the speech would say that Obama shouldn't think he can get away with sticking any comment in the speech about an energy bill. I can't wait for the day when Obama gives a flying finger to those used car salesmen like McConnell and Boehner who set in motion all the political talking points in order to rev up a sadly uninformed base.

Why does Obama turn everything into a chance to promote a political agenda. A lot of people rightly criticize Bush for his politics, but he did not stand on the rubble of the Twin Towers and call for passing the Patriot Act. He did not stump the nation and hold town halls to gather support for the invasion if Iraq.

You know, I just listened to the speech again. And I couldn't get the image of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic out of my mind.

Am I that far off base in seeing it that way?

President Reagan, possibly more than any other president, was a visionary. [...]
Ronald Reagan was a Grade-B movie actor who got over on the mass of narrow-minded Conservatives who are easily swindled by anyone who is draped in a flag and talks a lot of patriotic bullshit. He was a dunce, the archetypal corporate puppet and a union-busting sonofabitch who sowed the seeds of the economic and environmental problems we're having today.

Jimmy Carter had a lot of problems but he was an honest, decent man who had a sincere interest in doing what was best for the Nation. He deserved a second term and we should have given it to him instead of tossing him aside for the first representative of the Military Industrial Complex and the architect of America's decline.

To hell with Ronald Reagan!

:eusa_eh::confused::eusa_drool::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
You can thank Reagan for a booming economy in the 80's and 90's

Last edited:
So,

Obama says last night in his address that he's going to get BP to put up the money, less than 24 hours later,

they're putting up the money.

Wow

Obama gets credit for getting BP to do what it said it was going to do from day 1, pay any claims that are legitimate. except that, now, they don't have to worry about the claims, because they are going through an independent arbiter, and they will be tied up for years.

Great job Obama.

What's wrong with O'Reilly??? He has gone soft of Obamadrama.......I expect that from Shep Smith...but...O'Rielly???

Forum List

Back