MSNBC Trashes Obama's Address: Compared To Carter, "I Don't Sense Executive Command

LOL............I sense....................

Executive fAiL

poar01_obama08031-1.jpg

RASMUSSEN Reports at 9:30AM ET:

Obama Approval Falls to New Low: 42%
Obama Approval Index: -20
Strongly Approve 24%
Strongly Disapprove 44%
Total Approval 42%

Developing...

So? He's had more controversial crises to handle than any other president in recent history. Prior to the attacks of 911, your boy Booooosh (with only 9 months in office) was showing a dismal approval rating of 55%, with 23% disapproving and 22% undecided. And HE didn't have to deal with ANYTHING before the attacks.

9/11 happened eight months into President Bush's first term of office. He was over 50% prior to the attacks and he was at more than 90% following the attacks because the people approved of the way he was handling it and the immediate proactive steps taken to deal with it. There sure as hell wasn't weeks and weeks of hang wringing about what to so and then ultimately poor choices made and billed as the Administration putting all they had into it.

When Obama claimed that his administration was focused and doing everything they could re the Gulf, I wanted to gag. ANYBODY who believes that is true is positively delusional.

President Bush had 9/11. And he inherited a minor recession that was hugely magnified in the wake of 9/11. And he dealt with that appropriately too and we recovered more quickly than most folks thought we could.

President Bush had Katrina which he bungled and received appropriate criticism for that. Even though no prior President had to deal with devastation on the scale of Katrine, President Bush did deserve poor marks for his handling of that.

President Bush also had two wars that, once war weariness set in, dragged his approval ratings into the basements. Mistakes were made there too, but he did get some things right.

President Bush lost major points with Republicans when he veered too far left on social policy and, because he was a Republican, he couldn't score any points with the Left even though he should have been their darling on that stuff.

So President Obama inherited a major recession which he has bungled big time.

And now he is bungling the disaster in the Gulf.

And you think we should give him props for that?

Last night's address wasn't aimed at political junkies and political junkie pundits.

Obviously not. He's already had everything thrown at him already by the rabid right. Yesterday, on the Senate floor, McConnell began wagging his finger before he even knew what the speech would say that Obama shouldn't think he can get away with sticking any comment in the speech about an energy bill. I can't wait for the day when Obama gives a flying finger to those used car salesmen like McConnell and Boehner who set in motion all the political talking points in order to rev up a sadly uninformed base.

The speech was a 'failure' in that it didn't give any reassurance whatsoever that the Administration has been either honest or competent in dealing with the Gulf disaster. The President simply did not tell us what we were hoping beyond hope to hear that we would be proactive and utilize ALL available resources to deal with the problem. The speech was a 'failure' in that it demonstrated again that the President is a politician, but not a competent leader.

The only time the President showed any enthusiasm or energy at all in that speech was in promoting his grandiose Cap & Tax initiative which also was not what most of us wanted to hear.

And yes, I watched the whole thing.

Then you should have realized that if cap and trade were the be-all and end-all to his energy proposal, he would have said so.

Spin spin spin. When are you people going to actually LISTEN to Thad Allen's daily briefing since you all are under the mistaken impression that "nothing is being done" and/or that the oil spill is being politicized? Don't listen to Obama, since you misconstrue everything he ever says anyway. Listen to the guy he placed in charge, and you might become better informed, people.

Matthews losing that "Thrill" up his leg? Most Americans know that this President partied with celebs and golfed his way through this awful tragedy. He has only recently begun to address this tragedy and that's only because the people forced him to. I knew this guy was incredibly incompetent but even i'm a bit shocked at how badly he has handled this tragedy. This is definitely the first time i've ever agreed with the NBC nutters. First time for everything i guess.

The speech was a 'failure' in that it didn't give any reassurance whatsoever that the Administration has been either honest or competent in dealing with the Gulf disaster. The President simply did not tell us what we were hoping beyond hope to hear that we would be proactive and utilize ALL available resources to deal with the problem. The speech was a 'failure' in that it demonstrated again that the President is a politician, but not a competent leader.

The only time the President showed any enthusiasm or energy at all in that speech was in promoting his grandiose Cap & Tax initiative which also was not what most of us wanted to hear.

Honesty would be to tell the American people that its government has been allowing oil companies to do something that could result in what we are now seeing when no one had even a remotely effective idea, let alone a plan or the means, to cope with the one consequence that most threatens these kind of operations.

Speaking of allowing........if oil companies were allowed to drill on land where they are prohibited because of environuts then this spill or any spill would never happen. Drilling on land is safer and more efficient.

Really...

...since when did people like you oppose deepwater drilling?

Answer me this. Why did Congress in 1995 cut royalty rates for deepwater drilling in the Gulf?

Obama was walking a thin line. He was about to meet with the BP brass in less that 24 hours. He put the facts out there and said how we were going to proceed. I agree with NY, if he had come out and repeated the words of the GOP sainted Lush Rimbaugh, he would have been killed. Which proves that no one really takes fat boy seriously anymore.

If he comes away with 20 Billion dollars in escrowed BP money, then he has made a difference.

Why didn't he delay his address until after the meeting with BP??

Excellent question. Almost as good as why is he just now meeting with BP? The explosion was 60 days ago.

The administration has been involved with BP since day one.

Oil was less than $20 per barrel back then - and the cost of drilling in deep water was high. This was the bargain to keep oil drilling off land and shallow waters.

So,

Obama says last night in his address that he's going to get BP to put up the money, less than 24 hours later,

they're putting up the money.

Hey Mr. President,it's about the Gulf not the Golf. Someone should have told him that early on. Meanwhile,the spill goes on. How sad.

Do you think that that arrangement hadn't already been worked out in advance?

Puh-leeze. Obama wouldn't have speechified about if it weren't a done deal. It's Kabuki Theater.

With understanding that I am working from memory, I am tired, and don't want to have to hunt up supporting links tonight, this is the way this was explained to me:

General Electric, the previous owner of the NBC conglomerate, was in bed with the Obama Administration and stands to make hundreds of billions of dollars if Obama is succesful in getting Cap & Tax passed. Thus NBC and its affiliates had been under strict orders to soft pedal direct criticism of Obama and/or his policies and to target his opponents for criticisms.

Well I believe now Comcast is the controlling shareholder of the NBC conglomerate and their political leanings are quite different from GE. So we may actually see a shift from the hard left editorial policy of NBC networks and that may in fact actually save them in the long run as they have all been at the bottom of the ratings for a long time now.

And they're right. The speech was just another campaign speech glossing over the disaster in the Gulf because our fearless leader doesn't have a clue how to handle that. And it was the first shot across the bow that he intends to rush headlong into Cap & Tax despite the hundreds of billions, even trillions more pressure that will put on the economy.

I guess we didn't watch the same speech, then. How did he "gloss over" what has happened in the Gulf? And his obvious omission of any reference at all to cap and trade also makes your last comment moot. The White House has already said that the Senate version of an energy bill will NOT resemble the House version. Translation: No cap and trade.

You're right. We obviously didn't watch the same speech if you think he accurately represented what is happening in the Gulf and what the Administration has done about it. I didn't get that from the speech I watched. Which one did you watch?

And if you think he wasn't laying the groundwork for a massive overhaul of U.S. energy that will reflect his vision of Cap & Tax that he has pushed from the get go, you must have heard a very different speech that the rest of us were not invited to hear.

He DID accurately portray what was happening in the Gulf**, and I never SAID that he didn't lay the groundwork for pushing for energy
reform.

**From the speech:
First, the cleanup. From the very beginning of this crisis, the federal government has been in charge of the largest environmental cleanup effort in our nation’s history – an effort led by Admiral Thad Allen, who has almost forty years of experience responding to disasters. We now have nearly 30,000 personnel who are working across four states to contain and cleanup the oil. Thousands of ships and other vessels are responding in the Gulf. And I have authorized the deployment of over 17,000 National Guard members along the coast. These servicemen and women are ready to help stop the oil from coming ashore, clean beaches, train response workers, or even help with processing claims – and I urge the governors in the affected states to activate these troops as soon as possible.

Because of our efforts, millions of gallons of oil have already been removed from the water through burning, skimming, and other collection methods. Over five and a half million feet of boom has been laid across the water to block and absorb the approaching oil. We have approved the construction of new barrier islands in Louisiana to try and stop the oil before it reaches the shore, and we are working with Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida to implement creative approaches to their unique coastlines.

As the clean up continues, we will offer whatever additional resources and assistance our coastal states may need. Now, a mobilization of this speed and magnitude will never be perfect, and new challenges will always arise. I saw and heard evidence of that during this trip. So if something isn’t working, we want to hear about it. If there are problems in the operation, we will fix them.

Was he supposed to go into the tiniest detail?

Then you should have realized that if cap and trade were the be-all and end-all to his energy proposal, he would have said so.

Spin spin spin. When are you people going to actually LISTEN to Thad Allen's daily briefing since you all are under the mistaken impression that "nothing is being done" and/or that the oil spill is being politicized? Don't listen to Obama, since you misconstrue everything he ever says anyway. Listen to the guy he placed in charge, and you might become better informed, people.

Really try to focus Maggie.

There is a middle ground between #1 'doing everything you can' and #2 'doing nothing'. Try to see that acknowledging #1 is not the same thing as #2.

But if you honestly listened to that speech and honestly believe that the oil spill is not being politicized, man I wish I had access to you when I still had a full assortment of pretty bridges to sell.

LOL............I sense....................

Executive fAiL

poar01_obama08031-1.jpg

RASMUSSEN Reports at 9:30AM ET:

Obama Approval Falls to New Low: 42%
Obama Approval Index: -20
Strongly Approve 24%
Strongly Disapprove 44%
Total Approval 42%

Developing...

So? He's had more controversial crises to handle than any other president in recent history. Prior to the attacks of 911, your boy Booooosh (with only 9 months in office) was showing a dismal approval rating of 55%, with 23% disapproving and 22% undecided. And HE didn't have to deal with ANYTHING before the attacks.

9/11 happened eight months into President Bush's first term of office. He was over 50% prior to the attacks and he was at more than 90% following the attacks because the people approved of the way he was handling it and the immediate proactive steps taken to deal with it. There sure as hell wasn't weeks and weeks of hang wringing about what to so and then ultimately poor choices made and billed as the Administration putting all they had into it.

When Obama claimed that his administration was focused and doing everything they could re the Gulf, I wanted to gag. ANYBODY who believes that is true is positively delusional.

President Bush had 9/11. And he inherited a minor recession that was hugely magnified in the wake of 9/11. And he dealt with that appropriately too and we recovered more quickly than most folks thought we could.

President Bush had Katrina which he bungled and received appropriate criticism for that. Even though no prior President had to deal with devastation on the scale of Katrine, President Bush did deserve poor marks for his handling of that.

President Bush also had two wars that, once war weariness set in, dragged his approval ratings into the basements. Mistakes were made there too, but he did get some things right.

President Bush lost major points with Republicans when he veered too far left on social policy and, because he was a Republican, he couldn't score any points with the Left even though he should have been their darling on that stuff.

So President Obama inherited a major recession which he has bungled big time.

And now he is bungling the disaster in the Gulf.

And you think we should give him props for that?

Thanks for making my point about Bush's popularity. He only held that high point until he invaded Iraq, by the way. As for Obama "bungling" anything, that remains a matter of opinion. Just because YOU say so, hardly MAKES it so. (And that goes for everyone else who refuse to take the time to actually study the myriad problems, but expect a black or white solution...no pun intended.)

Personally, I'd like to see some actual doing and a lot less talking about what will be accomplished although there is no plan to actually accomplish it.

Last edited:
It's over for BO. For BO to lose MESSNBC tells me the dems are giving up on him. I say BO doesn't run for a second term.
I don't think Obama has any expectation of a second term. I believe he was sponsored for election with that understanding. My perception of Obama is that of an administrative Trojan Horse. He is a slick, shit-talking corporate puppet whose primary interest is his future for which the Presidency is nothing but a stepping stone. His objective is to get through the next two-and-a-half years with as little stress as possible. If he appears relaxed and unconcerned it's because he is.

I'm surprised it's taken Olbermann, Matthews and Fineman this long to push the veil aside and take a close look at this phony.

Obama's advice for the future of America -- "Pray!"

Forum List

Back