MSNBC Trashes Obama's Address: Compared To Carter, "I Don't Sense Executive Command

Last night's address wasn't aimed at political junkies and political junkie pundits.

and since that's where Obama tends to wallow he was like a fish out of water....hence.... "i don't sense executive command." from his most ardent supporters.

You know what? I am far more upset by the tragedy unfolding in the Gulf than I am upset by Obama. Obama has pretty well proved that he is a party and union hack without a clue how to deal with foreign affairs, how to fix the economy, or how to go about finding experts to plug the hold in the Gulf and mitigate the damages. His rants about the Arizona Law when he had never even had a telephone conversation with the Arizona Governor is his M.O. Speak. Wait and do nothing for weeks. Then pretend he has been acting all along.

We had offers from real experts to deal with the oil leak within three days of the explosion. All were rejected and continue to be rejected. For him to now expound on how 'all resources are being brought into play to deal with it' is not only ludicrous, it insults the intelligence of any American who still thinks.

And for him to rush headlong into Cap & Tax on the now tedious platform that 'it won't wait' while the economy is still mired in recession and 30 to 60 barrels of oil continues to foul the Gulf waters and beaches every day is so over the top I can't imagine how ANYBODY can support that.

I hope MSNBC is cleaning up its act and will start actually reporting the news again. Fox News has gotten a bit lazy lately I believe and needs some good competition to sharpen its edge.

And if the Fourth Estate starts doing its job again, we might just inform enough people of the real deal that they will see to it that we start fixing problems instead of just creating bigger ones.

Last night's address wasn't aimed at political junkies and political junkie pundits.

and since that's where Obama tends to wallow he was like a fish out of water....hence.... "i don't sense executive command." from his most ardent supporters.

Weren't you guy who said you believed Obama was honorable/honest and you'd take him on his word for whatever he said? lol

I've already explained this. The political 'news' media decides on narratives to 'theme' ongoing stories. The main narrative they decided on with this one was to nitpick everything the president does or says about the crisis. The media has made this about Obama so they have something to talk/gossip about that they think people will tune in to.

I also told you, presciently, that the media has set Obama's Pass/Fail bar on this at Perfect/Imperfect.

The speech was Imperfect, therefore, the speech was a Failure. The media reaction was exactly in keeping with my model.

...so see, I told you so. You should pay attention to what I tell you. :lol:

The speech was a 'failure' in that it didn't give any reassurance whatsoever that the Administration has been either honest or competent in dealing with the Gulf disaster. The President simply did not tell us what we were hoping beyond hope to hear that we would be proactive and utilize ALL available resources to deal with the problem. The speech was a 'failure' in that it demonstrated again that the President is a politician, but not a competent leader.

The only time the President showed any enthusiasm or energy at all in that speech was in promoting his grandiose Cap & Tax initiative which also was not what most of us wanted to hear.

And yes, I watched the whole thing.

The speech was a 'failure' in that it didn't give any reassurance whatsoever that the Administration has been either honest or competent in dealing with the Gulf disaster. The President simply did not tell us what we were hoping beyond hope to hear that we would be proactive and utilize ALL available resources to deal with the problem. The speech was a 'failure' in that it demonstrated again that the President is a politician, but not a competent leader.

The only time the President showed any enthusiasm or energy at all in that speech was in promoting his grandiose Cap & Tax initiative which also was not what most of us wanted to hear.

Honesty would be to tell the American people that its government has been allowing oil companies to do something that could result in what we are now seeing when no one had even a remotely effective idea, let alone a plan or the means, to cope with the one consequence that most threatens these kind of operations.

Honesty would be to tell the American people that its government has been allowing oil companies to do something that could result in what we are now seeing when no one had even a remotely effective idea, let alone a plan or the means, to cope with the one consequence that most threatens these kind of operations.

Speaking of allowing........if oil companies were allowed to drill on land where they are prohibited because of environuts then this spill or any spill would never happen. Drilling on land is safer and more efficient.

Obama was walking a thin line. He was about to meet with the BP brass in less that 24 hours. He put the facts out there and said how we were going to proceed. I agree with NY, if he had come out and repeated the words of the GOP sainted Lush Rimbaugh, he would have been killed. Which proves that no one really takes fat boy seriously anymore.

If he comes away with 20 Billion dollars in escrowed BP money, then he has made a difference.

Why didn't he delay his address until after the meeting with BP??

Obama was walking a thin line. He was about to meet with the BP brass in less that 24 hours. He put the facts out there and said how we were going to proceed. I agree with NY, if he had come out and repeated the words of the GOP sainted Lush Rimbaugh, he would have been killed. Which proves that no one really takes fat boy seriously anymore.

If he comes away with 20 Billion dollars in escrowed BP money, then he has made a difference.

Why didn't he delay his address until after the meeting with BP??

Excellent question. Almost as good as why is he just now meeting with BP? The explosion was 60 days ago.

This is true actually. He should have admitted that it was HIS administration who waived the environmental study and did not require proof of safeguards before allowing the drilling to commence. That would have been refreshing anyway. Some reassurance that the imprudence of that was acknowledged and it would not happen ever again would have been constructive. Much more so than simply declaring a moratorium on all drilling in an economy that was already reeling.

Since when you do watch and/or quote MSNBC?

The Fox addicts would do well to watch more of MSNBC. The ones loudly criticizing the president are died-in-the-wool liberals (although Fineman did surprise me). There are several shows that are far from left-leaning: Dylan Ratigan is a staunch capitalist; Andrea Mitchell consistently has two contrasting viewpoints shared on issues of the day. And of course there's Morning Joe with a terrific mix of guests expressing different points of view.

they thought he should have used it as a chance to be more aggressive.

but mike allen at politico liked it.... funny you didn't pick that video. mike is right of center and his comment was actually at the same link.

bummer the obama derangement syndrome runs so deep.

RealClearPolitics - Video - POLITICO: Obama Used "Commander-In-Chief" Language

There are three entirely separate criticisms that I'm seeing:

1. That he was not specific enough. (He relayed all that he KNEW to date about the spill itself, which he, personally, can do nothing about; informed the people in the affected Gulf states what he intended to do in order to keep them solvent; and of course never intended to get policy-specific over energy.)

2. That he didn't portray "leadership." (Whatever that's supposed to mean. More like Daddy Reagan's calming voice? More like Clinton's "I feel your pain"? Did people want warm and fuzzy or an analysis to date in honest language?)

3. From the Republicans--don't even attempt to bring energy policy to the table. (In other words, we don't give a shit what happens in the Gulf, we'll obstruct any attempt to change the status quo.)

The frustration is, as some have suggested, similar to Carter's problem when day after day went by and the hostages remained imprisoned in Iran. Nevermind that without doubt everything possible was being done to negotiate their freedom but that all of America didn't get every memo, the simple fact Carter was unsuccessful is all they saw. Of course we also didn't get the secret memo that a deal was in the works to sell weapons to Iran in exchange for the hostages. How ironic that the hostages were free as soon as Reagan took the oath of office. But hey, that's another story.

is using *commander-in-chief* language like putting on your big boy pants?

It's almost a ridiculous characterization these days. Over the past 30 years, only Bush41 accurately held that honor.

Wow this wasn't even a press conference and he failed. I mean he actually had telepromters and this is what he delivered? Gibbs better come out swinging tomorrow at the press briefing or the sharks will start circling the White House.

They've been circling since January 21, 2009. Where have you been? Any new ones will have to tread water while waiting in line.

they thought he should have used it as a chance to be more aggressive.

but mike allen at politico liked it.... funny you didn't pick that video. mike is right of center and his comment was actually at the same link.

bummer the obama derangement syndrome runs so deep.

RealClearPolitics - Video - POLITICO: Obama Used "Commander-In-Chief" Language

you don't get it do you? PMSNBC is the poster child of praise for obama for them to be negative is simular to having 5 uncashed pay checks in your wallet with 700.00 dollars cash and your bills are paid.

With understanding that I am working from memory, I am tired, and don't want to have to hunt up supporting links tonight, this is the way this was explained to me:

General Electric, the previous owner of the NBC conglomerate, was in bed with the Obama Administration and stands to make hundreds of billions of dollars if Obama is succesful in getting Cap & Tax passed. Thus NBC and its affiliates had been under strict orders to soft pedal direct criticism of Obama and/or his policies and to target his opponents for criticisms.

Well I believe now Comcast is the controlling shareholder of the NBC conglomerate and their political leanings are quite different from GE. So we may actually see a shift from the hard left editorial policy of NBC networks and that may in fact actually save them in the long run as they have all been at the bottom of the ratings for a long time now.

And they're right. The speech was just another campaign speech glossing over the disaster in the Gulf because our fearless leader doesn't have a clue how to handle that. And it was the first shot across the bow that he intends to rush headlong into Cap & Tax despite the hundreds of billions, even trillions more pressure that will put on the economy.

I guess we didn't watch the same speech, then. How did he "gloss over" what has happened in the Gulf? And his obvious omission of any reference at all to cap and trade also makes your last comment moot. The White House has already said that the Senate version of an energy bill will NOT resemble the House version. Translation: No cap and trade.

CaféAuLait;2414153 said:
MSNBC Trashes Obama's Address: Compared To Carter, "I Don't Sense Executive Command

Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann and Howard Fineman react to President Obama's Oval Office Address on the oil spill. Here are the highlights of what the trio said:

Olbermann: "It was a great speech if you were on another planet for the last 57 days."

Matthews compared Obama to Carter.

Olbermann: "Nothing specific at all was said."

Matthews: "No direction."

Howard Fineman: "He wasn't specific enough."

Olbermann: "I don't think he aimed low, I don't think he aimed at all. It's startling."

Howard Fineman: Obama should be acting like a "commander-in-chief."

Matthews: Ludicrous that he keeps saying [Secretary of Energy] Chu has a Nobel prize. "I'll barf if he does it one more time."

RealClearPolitics - Video - MSNBC Trashes Obama's Address: Compared To Carter, "I Don't Sense Executive Command"

Wow.....ODS AND BDS now permeate MSNBC...who would have forseen that ODS just a few short months ago? Perhaps MSNBC'ers are just deranged.

Actually it's OCD that has permeated the country. Must...get...Obama...must...get...Obama...must...get...Obama.

Pathetic.

you don't get it do you? PMSNBC is the poster child of praise for obama for them to be negative is simular to having 5 uncashed pay checks in your wallet with 700.00 dollars cash and your bills are paid.

With understanding that I am working from memory, I am tired, and don't want to have to hunt up supporting links tonight, this is the way this was explained to me:

General Electric, the previous owner of the NBC conglomerate, was in bed with the Obama Administration and stands to make hundreds of billions of dollars if Obama is succesful in getting Cap & Tax passed. Thus NBC and its affiliates had been under strict orders to soft pedal direct criticism of Obama and/or his policies and to target his opponents for criticisms.

Well I believe now Comcast is the controlling shareholder of the NBC conglomerate and their political leanings are quite different from GE. So we may actually see a shift from the hard left editorial policy of NBC networks and that may in fact actually save them in the long run as they have all been at the bottom of the ratings for a long time now.

And they're right. The speech was just another campaign speech glossing over the disaster in the Gulf because our fearless leader doesn't have a clue how to handle that. And it was the first shot across the bow that he intends to rush headlong into Cap & Tax despite the hundreds of billions, even trillions more pressure that will put on the economy.

I guess we didn't watch the same speech, then. How did he "gloss over" what has happened in the Gulf? And his obvious omission of any reference at all to cap and trade also makes your last comment moot. The White House has already said that the Senate version of an energy bill will NOT resemble the House version. Translation: No cap and trade.

You're right. We obviously didn't watch the same speech if you think he accurately represented what is happening in the Gulf and what the Administration has done about it. I didn't get that from the speech I watched. Which one did you watch?

And if you think he wasn't laying the groundwork for a massive overhaul of U.S. energy that will reflect his vision of Cap & Tax that he has pushed from the get go, you must have heard a very different speech that the rest of us were not invited to hear.

LOL............I sense....................

Executive fAiL

poar01_obama08031-1.jpg

RASMUSSEN Reports at 9:30AM ET:

Obama Approval Falls to New Low: 42%
Obama Approval Index: -20
Strongly Approve 24%
Strongly Disapprove 44%
Total Approval 42%

Developing...

So? He's had more controversial crises to handle than any other president in recent history. Prior to the attacks of 911, your boy Booooosh (with only 9 months in office) was showing a dismal approval rating of 55%, with 23% disapproving and 22% undecided. And HE didn't have to deal with ANYTHING before the attacks.

Not me. I watched all 18 minutes of his speech as painful as it was.
I wanted to hear right from the horses mouth what he had to say rather than relying on threads and blogs and opinion pieces, commentary and the like.

and what conclusion did you arrive at?
He tried his best to look and act Presidential while laying out his plan for the Gulf. I heard his words delivered in a monotone voice showing little emotion until he turned his speech towards the need for alternative energy NOW! This generation! We can't afford NOT to act now!

Honestly, IMHO I believe that BHO is trying to tap into the same kind of 'anger' that was present in the American people in the days that followed 9/11. The anger that brought Americans together regardless of an R or D or I. But it's just not there so Mr. Obama came up empty-handed.

Yes, it's totally unacceptable that Obama didn't choose to make his speech using a bullhorn on the oil-soaked sands of the Gulf. Or start blubbering in order to score points;

boehner3.jpg

I think the bloom is off the rose big time.

I watched his speech and he did just as I thought he would do. He tried to further his Crap and Trade bs..

Jeeze. We sure can't waste a good crisis now can we. LOL

He never once mentioned cap and trade. Thanks for paying no attention, but just parroting the right wing obstructionists.

and what conclusion did you arrive at?
He tried his best to look and act Presidential while laying out his plan for the Gulf. I heard his words delivered in a monotone voice showing little emotion until he turned his speech towards the need for alternative energy NOW! This generation! We can't afford NOT to act now!

Honestly, IMHO I believe that BHO is trying to tap into the same kind of 'anger' that was present in the American people in the days that followed 9/11. The anger that brought Americans together regardless of an R or D or I. But it's just not there so Mr. Obama came up empty-handed.

This incident, although terrible in and of itself, cannot evoke passions and feelings like 9/11 did. In this respect I believe you are correct...Obama tried to tap into public anger over this incident and since most of the anger was over his incompetent handling of the situation he did in fact come up empty handed. He's got no business pushing alternative energy solutions at he expense of dead wildlife all along the Gulf Coast. Now if he kneejerk reacted, or displayed some anger like the left wants, to the spill like he should have maybe we would have a more comprehensive damage control plan for the oil and perhaps BP would have been forced to act differently with respect to their efforts to cap this well.
Once again the Democrats are seen as being the party of wimps. That's why they wanted Obama to "get angry".....and "kick some ass!!!!"

:lol: There would have been no dead wildlife if we had a clean energy policy enacted years ago.

Forum List

Back