MSM-Newsweeks Gives Bush A Chance!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
:shocked: Mostly it's a refutation of what Sheehan has been saying; though they couldn't help but weaving, 'He may be sorry for the war he started...' through it. There's more than 2 more pages worth reading:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8941525/site/newsweek/

By Holly Bailey and Evan Thomas
Newsweek

Aug. 22, 2005 issue - The grieving room was arranged like a doctor's office. The families and loved ones of 33 soldiers killed in Iraq or Afghanistan were summoned to a large waiting area at Fort Bragg, N.C. For three hours, they were rotated through five private rooms, where they met with President George W. Bush, accompanied by two Secret Service men and a photographer. Because the walls were thin, the families awaiting their turn could hear the crying inside.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement
Click here for great deals from Dell!

President Bush was wearing "a huge smile," but his eyes were red and he looked drained by the time he got to the last widow, Crystal Owen, a third-grade schoolteacher who had lost her husband in Iraq. "Tell me about Mike," he said immediately. "I don't want my husband's death to be in vain," she told him. The president apologized repeatedly for her husband's death. When Owen began to cry, Bush grabbed her hands. "Don't worry, don't worry," he said, though his choking voice suggested that he had worries of his own. The president and the widow hugged. "It felt like he could have been my dad," Owen recalled to NEWSWEEK. "It was like we were old friends. It almost makes me sad. In a way, I wish he weren't the president, just so I could talk to him all the time."

Bush likes to play the resolute War Leader, and he has never been known for admitting mistakes or regret. But that does not mean that he is free of doubt. For the past three years, Bush has been living in two worlds—unwavering and confident in public, but sometimes stricken in private. Bush's meetings with widows like Crystal Owen offer a rare look inside that inner, private world.

Last week, at his ranch in Texas, he took his usual line on Iraq, telling reporters that the United States would not pull out its troops until Iraq was able to defend itself. While he said he "sympathized" with Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a soldier killed in Iraq, he refused to visit her peace vigil, set up in a tent in a drainage ditch outside the ranch, and sent two of his aides to talk to her instead...

They're trying to make it seem like he's losing it, like he's doubting himself now, like he doesn't believe anymore in the war he started.

needless to say, i don't post from newsweek anymore, but i did read this before and found it a very humanizing portrait of a president that newsweek continues to try to bring down by any means neccessary.

NATO AIR said:
They're trying to make it seem like he's losing it, like he's doubting himself now, like he doesn't believe anymore in the war he started.

needless to say, i don't post from newsweek anymore, but i did read this before and found it a very humanizing portrait of a president that newsweek continues to try to bring down by any means neccessary.

For a MSM source, it's surprisingly pro-Bush. One must consider they were well aware of Cindy when they did this...

Kathianne said:
For a MSM source, it's surprisingly pro-Bush. One must consider they were well aware of Cindy when they did this...

That is true but I see beyond their write up of a GW Bush pity party. They're trying to make it seem like he's losing it.

NATO AIR said:
That is true but I see beyond their write up of a GW Bush pity party. They're trying to make it seem like he's losing it.

Oh, well that was stated up front-they can't help themselves. :dev3:

Forum List

Back