MS: McDaniel goes to court over the MS-Sen runoff results

Mississippi high court to hear challenge of U.S. Senate race outcome - Yahoo News

JACKSON Miss. (Reuters) - The Mississippi Supreme Court will hear Tea Party-backed Senate candidate Chris McDaniel's legal challenge of his Republican primary defeat in a race he claims was stolen, a justice ordered Tuesday.

nothing but underhanded varmitry - all hail McDaniel

* the least M could do now ( for democrats ) is threaten to be a write in candidate ...

Considering his massive ego, I wouldn't put it past him.

There are no write in votes in a general election ... at least for the senate.

The Muddy Mississippi Senate Race Commentary -- GOPUSA

McDaniel has hijacked small govt supporters in Miss. Suddenly Tate Reeves the lt gov is the enemy, and he actually has pushed through tax funding for charter schools and is looking to cut taxes overall this next session ..... instead of embracing Obamacare.

McDaniel has hijacked small govt supporters in Miss. Suddenly Tate Reeves the lt gov is the enemy, and he actually has pushed through tax funding for charter schools and is looking to cut taxes overall this next session ..... instead of embracing Obamacare.

not sure what you mean there, for Mississippi ? - otherwise ask Lisa Murkowski how it happened in Alaska.

not sure what you mean there, for Mississippi ? - otherwise ask Lisa Murkowski how it happened in Alaska.

In Mississippi, we only count write ins if a named candidate on a ballot has died or if there's a tie.
Miss. Code Ann. § 23-15-365 (Copy w/ Cite)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Pages: 2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Miss. Code Ann. § 23-15-365

MISSISSIPPI CODE of 1972
*** Current through the 2014 Regular Session and 1st and 2nd Extraordinary Sessions ***
TITLE 23. ELECTIONS
CHAPTER 15. MISSISSIPPI ELECTION CODE
ARTICLE 13. BALLOTS
B. OTHER ELECTIONS
Miss. Code Ann. § 23-15-365 (2014)
§ 23-15-365. Write-in candidates; applicability of section to elections conducted under Sections 23-15-974 through 23-15-985

(1) There shall be left on each ballot one (1) blank space under the title of each office to be voted for, and in the event of the death, resignation, withdrawal or removal of any candidate whose name shall have been printed on the official ballot, the name of the candidate duly substituted in the place of such candidate may be written in such blank space by the voter.

(2) The provisions of subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to elections conducted under the Nonpartisan Judicial Election Act.

it does not say what McDaniel's appeal contains that the Mississippi Supreme Court will be reviewing, perhaps a recourse to participate in the general election is a part of it or will lead to its admission.

I'm not sure what you're saying. The chancery (trial) court ruled that McDaniel's had to file a legal challenge to the primary election within twenty days of the election (or when the results were certified by the republican party, since parties certify primary results down here). There's no doubt McDaniels failed to do so, but there's speculation that he knew he'd lose on the merits of there being illegally counted votes, so he dragged it out so long as to increase "some" people's views that by having African americans vote in the run off, these "some" people were somehow denied something they were entitled to have. There's similar speculation as to his motives in stringing out this notion there can be a write in campaign in Mississippi. State law doesn't allow it. People can write in anyone they want to, but the votes are not counted.

But whatever his motivations, the only thing McDaniel can appeal is whether the twenty day timeline applied to his legal challenge. It's possible the state supreme court will reverse on that time frame, and order the chancery court to address any merits of McDaniel's claim the election was decided with illegally counted votes.

Again, the unfortunate aspect of this, again, is that a lot of gopers aren't thrilled with Cochran. He's a dinosaur. He goes back to the days when the Miss gop party was trying to rid itself of any racist message, and there's no doubt Cochran is a decent human being. There's no doubt that Cochran told African americans that unless he won the runoff, the next Miss senator would be an avowed racist. That was true, and African americans voted against McDaniel, but it's also true that Cochran consistently got around a 10-15% share of African American votes in general elections.

But, we now see McDaniel's supporters antipathy being transferred to a Lt Governor who pushed through funding for charter schools in failing districts and wants to cut taxes this year, while the state is being sued by a former democrat governor for failing to put more money into failing school districts. At some point, advocates of smaller govt will have to choose between the issue or the demigod.

I should have put up a link to the Miss Sup Ct's website, where the arguments are streamed. But, I really don't think anyone would have been interested ... beyond me. It's really about state law.

I should have put up a link to the Miss Sup Ct's website, where the arguments are streamed. But, I really don't think anyone would have been interested ... beyond me. It's really about state law.

it's never to late, -

or a quick review of the proceedings might be better than ^ whatever that is ... it is an interest, especially the proximity to the elections.

will Google and find out this evening.

well, it was a live stream. But, there was nothing in the arguments over politics, and very very little about the actual contentions of voter fraud or the merits. Most of it was about whether McDaniels' challenge was filed too late. The statute in question has two parts. One part is applicable to a senatorial election. The other part has the twenty day time limit. And if the time limit is not twenty days, what is it.

My guess is McDaniels is done, but that's only my uninformed guess. The bigger question, imo, for the Miss Tea Party, assuming it survives, is whether it will focus on reforming aid, so rather than paying people for housing in places where there will never be jobs, we're offering skill training to get the jobs, and whether instead of feeding poor people, in one of the most fertile regions in the world, crap that gives them diabetes, we teach them the skills their grand parents and great grandparents had in using the land to produce fruit and veggies 8-9 mos a year.

Forum List

Back