MS-13 Hunting Party kill’s student in San Francisco he begs 4 his life shot 9 times

this is conservative fear-mongering at its best, designed to create an 'us versus them' attitude. What is the sensationalism here? Is this anything really new??? This is well-known gang activity that has happened countless times in American history. It is not a positive phenomenon. It is terrible of course, and they should be brought to justice and this type of activity averted. But, I don't understand this OP. What about Crips, Bloods, KKK, and the Latin Kings? There have been violent American gangs around and will be around as long as money can be made from the sale of illegal drugs. If they weren't illegal, this wouldn't happen- that is just a fact, I am not saying it is desirable, but one option if people would let go of fear. Gangs that have hurt innocent people for no reason. In the 80's, gang activity was terrible in New York. You could get stabbed because local gangs were doing initiations for its newest members. The tone of this OP is like that of a bunch of scared middle-class white people in the conservative fifties so scared of the new minority family down the street. I use this analogy simply in drawing a parallel to the xenophobic mentality that I see more and more now by white conservative america again. I thought we had smartened. I thought that us, as human race, had moved past this pettiness. These are human problems that create these conditions, not anything attributable to a certain race, creed, etc.... I am not excusing these gang members, as their actions incite anger for me too, but I dont' attribute it to them being mexican, or a minority. It is a product of those circumstances, and always will be, as a way achieving status, money and power within the confines of poverty. It is the appeal to xenophobic mentalities that worries me: creating 'us versus them,' as if America has never seen anything like this, and it is just these 'damn mexicans.' Please. Grow up, and take the blinders off. Hate and fear do nothing to change this.

MS-13 doesn't give two shits about your opinion but it won't help when the need arises...stupid moron cracker who doesn't have a clue but just go on about your life forget this ever happened.

this is conservative fear-mongering at its best, designed to create an 'us versus them' attitude. What is the sensationalism here? Is this anything really new??? This is well-known gang activity that has happened countless times in American history. It is not a positive phenomenon. It is terrible of course, and they should be brought to justice and this type of activity averted. But, I don't understand this OP. What about Crips, Bloods, KKK, and the Latin Kings? There have been violent American gangs around and will be around as long as money can be made from the sale of illegal drugs. If they weren't illegal, this wouldn't happen- that is just a fact, I am not saying it is desirable, but one option if people would let go of fear. Gangs that have hurt innocent people for no reason. In the 80's, gang activity was terrible in New York. You could get stabbed because local gangs were doing initiations for its newest members. The tone of this OP is like that of a bunch of scared middle-class white people in the conservative fifties so scared of the new minority family down the street. I use this analogy simply in drawing a parallel to the xenophobic mentality that I see more and more now by white conservative america again. I thought we had smartened. I thought that us, as human race, had moved past this pettiness. These are human problems that create these conditions, not anything attributable to a certain race, creed, etc.... I am not excusing these gang members, as their actions incite anger for me too, but I dont' attribute it to them being mexican, or a minority. It is a product of those circumstances, and always will be, as a way achieving status, money and power within the confines of poverty. It is the appeal to xenophobic mentalities that worries me: creating 'us versus them,' as if America has never seen anything like this, and it is just these 'damn mexicans.' Please. Grow up, and take the blinders off. Hate and fear do nothing to change this.

MS-13 doesn't give two shits about your opinion but it won't help when the need arises...stupid moron cracker who doesn't have a clue but just go on about your life forget this ever happened.

go fuck yourself... and just so you know, you asshole, I was defending those from blind hate by conservatives, so don't come at me with a gang-like swagger. its preposterous.

Last edited:

go fuck yourself... and just so you know, you asshole, I was defending those from blind hate by conservatives, so don't come at me with a gang-like swagger. its preposterous.

You're defending MS-13? Wow, you really are a two bit moron.

Azzhatmaximus, MS13 doesn't give two shits what your politics are. I guess you miss it the first time. They're terrorist street thugs and will you shoot just as dead. Idiots like you are to naive of their capabilities. I have every right to hate them for infringing there rights upon me. So don't waste your time lecturing me on how I'm suppose to behave when it is them who threatens me, my life. I will determine my fate my action when those situations arise. So fuckoff and stick it were the sun don't shine.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/November/11-crm-1544.html

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, November 29, 2011

MS-13 Gang Leader in San Francisco Convicted of Racketeering Charges

Co-Defendant Pleaded Guilty to Racketeering Charges During Trial

WASHINGTON – A federal jury today convicted Danilo Velasquez, aka “Triste,” a local leader of La Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13, in federal court in San Francisco of racketeering conspiracy and related charges, announced Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag for the Northern District of California and Clark Settles, Special Agent in Charge for U.S. Immigration and Custom Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) in San Francisco. His co-defendant and fellow MS-13 member, Luis Herrera, aka “Killer,” pleaded guilty to related charges, including using a firearm that caused the murder of an individual.

After a four-week trial, the federal jury convicted Velasquez of all charges, including conspiracy to participate in a racketeering enterprise, conspiracy to commit murder in aid of racketeering, conspiracy to commit assault with a dangerous weapon in aid of racketeering, and using and discharging a firearm in connection with a crime of violence. The evidence presented during trial showed that the defendants were part of the violent, transnational gang known as MS-13, which claimed part of the Mission District of San Francisco as its territory and operated in the Bay Area since the 1990s. Since its inception, MS-13 members have warred with rival gang members and sought to extort payments from other criminals in the gang’s territory. After the federal government indicted a large number of local MS-13 members on Oct. 22, 2008, Velasquez assumed leadership on the streets and encouraged the remaining members of the gang to engage in violence in order to demonstrate their continued presence in San Francisco despite its loss in numbers due to the federal indictment.

“In a hail of gunfire, Mr. Velasquez and his co-conspirators killed and wounded four unarmed individuals – all in the name of MS-13,” said Assistant Attorney General Breuer. “Senseless acts of violence like those committed by Mr. Velasquez and his fellow gang members are too common across the United States. Through sustained enforcement, we have taken leaders of MS-13 in San Francisco and elsewhere off the streets, and we will continue our efforts to make all our communities safe from violent gangs.”

“This conviction marks the beginning of the end for one San Francisco gang leader who thought he was above the law,” said U.S. Attorney Haag. “Today, the jury has sent a strong message that senseless acts of violence like those committed by Mr. Velasquez in the name of MS-13 will not be tolerated. Life is too valuable to let someone steal it from another. Those who try will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

“The gang members targeted in this Homeland Security Investigations-led probe were the worst of the worst, blithely using violence, intimidation and fear to maintain control over their turf,” said Special Agent in Charge Settles for ICE-HSI in San Francisco. “As this jury’s verdict makes clear, we will not allow ruthless thugs to rule our streets. We are joining forces with local law enforcement to bring these criminals to justice and take back our Bay Area neighborhoods.”

The evidence presented at trial also showed how the defendants, with others, conspired to commit a variety of crimes to further the goals of the gang, including attacking and killing rival gang members and others who defied or challenged MS-13 , including four murders that occurred in 2008. The prosecution also presented evidence of three separate shootings committed by Herrera, Velasquez and other MS-13 gang members that took place within just two months, after the October 2008 indictment. One of the shootings resulted in the death of Moises Frias, a college student, in February 2009.

Evidence at trial established that on Feb. 19, 2009, Velasquez and Herrera, accompanied by MS-13 member Jaime Balam, a fugitive, went out looking to kill rival gang members in the San Francisco Bay area. Herrera drove Velasquez and Balam in a stolen vehicle, and Velasquez and Balam both carried semi-automatic guns. The evidence at trial showed that in the Excelsior District of San Francisco, Herrera and Velasquez spotted a car of young Latino professionals, including three college students, a student and a business professional. None of the individuals were gang members themselves.

Witnesses testified that Herrera, Velasquez and Balam followed the victims’ car into Daly City, boxed the car in at a red light, whereby Velasquez and Balam flanked the victims’ car carrying semi-automatic handguns. Velasquez then fired multiple shots at close range at three of the passengers, who survived largely because Velasquez’s semi-automatic gun jammed multiple times. Balam allegedly fired his weapon at the remaining passenger until he ran out of bullets. The victim suffered nine gunshot wounds, including to the head, and was killed. The survivors of the shooting testified at trial that the victim begged for the shooting to stop immediately before he died.

A few days before the shooting, Velasquez and Herrera shot and wounded two individuals in rival gang territory on Feb. 13, 2009. After the Feb. 19, 2009, murder, the evidence showed Velasquez ordered another shooting in which Herrera took part, resulting in the wounding of several victims in rival territory on March 2, 2009. The victims of all the two non-fatal shootings who testified during the trial stated that they were not gang members, but were approached by individuals who exclaimed “La Mara” before shooting them.

Herrera pleaded guilty to seven racketeering related counts, including use of a firearm causing the death of Frias. As part of his plea, Herrera admitted that he was part of the MS-13 hunting party that followed the victims’ car on Feb. 19, 2009, and murdered Frias. The evidence presented at trial before Herrera pleaded guilty showed that he was a member of MS-13 for only two to three months before being arrested. He became a member after his brother, Guillermo Herrera, aka “Sparky,” another MS-13 member, was indicted. Guillermo Herrera was recently convicted of all charges, including murder in aid of racketeering, after a five-month trial that included six other co-defendants. He faces a mandatory life sentence and will be sentenced on Dec. 7, 2011. As part of his guilty plea, Luis Herrera will receive a 35-year prison sentence when he is sentenced on Jan. 24, 2012.

Velasquez faces a maximum sentence of life in prison, with a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years. Sentencing for Velasquez is scheduled for Feb. 14, 2012, before U.S. District Court Judge William H. Alsup.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Andrew Scoble and David Hall of the Organized Crime Strike Force of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California, and Trial Attorney Theryn G. Gibbons of the Criminal Division’s Organized Crime and Gang Section. The case was investigated by Daly City Police Department, led by Detective Gregg Oglesby, and ICE-HSI, led by Special Agents Alicia MacDonald and Brick Eubank .

11-1544
Criminal Division

Azzhatmaximus, MS13 doesn't give two shits what your politics are. I guess you miss it the first time. They're terrorist street thugs and will you shoot just as dead. Idiots like you are to naive of their capabilities. I have every right to hate them for infringing there rights upon me. So don't waste your time lecturing me on how I'm suppose to behave when it is them who threatens me, my life. I will determine my fate my action when those situations arise. So fuckoff and stick it were the sun don't shine.

You have completely misunderstood my first post, and obviously feel the need to blow some self-rigtheous rant on someone. I am not defending MS-13. I didn't even know who or what they are until I read this article in the OP. I was trying to protect anyone else who might be lumped in with their actions via over-generalization, i.e. other mexicans, minorities, because conservatives here were having a feeding frenzy on this story and making racist comments. THAT is what I was reacting to, not the story itself, so FUCKING RELAX.

Last edited:

Who's the dumbfuck who negs me after misunderstanding my post. I was not defending MS-13. I don't even know who they are. I was reacting to racist generalizations being made in response to the story, by conservatives on this board. That is all. learn to read dumbass.

You have completely misunderstood my first post, and obviously feel the need to blow some self-rigtheous rant on someone. I am not defending MS-13. I didn't even know who or what they are until I read this article in the OP. I was trying to protect anyone else who might be lumped in with their actions via over-generalization, i.e. other mexicans, minorities, because conservatives here were having a feeding frenzy on this story and making racist comments. THAT is what I was reacting to, not the story itself, so FUCKING RELAX.

I understood your first post just fine. What you're saying in essence, is that even though a large percentage of illegal immigrants are drug smugglers and gang members, there's no reason to enforce out laws.

I understood your first post just fine. What you're saying in essence, is that even though a large percentage of illegal immigrants are drug smugglers and gang members, there's no reason to enforce out laws.

Thank you. I was railing against exactly the kind of ignorant and xenophobic mentality you have just displayed. Do you have anything to back up your claim that "a large percentage of illegal immigrants are drug smugglers and gang members?" What does that even mean. It sounds like you just want to hate on all immigrants, which is EXACTLY what I was protesting, and is why I wrote what I did. They are people with just as much validity as you and me, and many just want to lead an honest life without economic pain. Like many of those in bad situations, they turn to crime, just as many american citizens do. I am just saying that xenophobic conservatives will use any ammo they can get to hate on someone different than them, and this is exactly what I was arguing against. I would never defend the actions of those who murdered somebody. I am not an idiot.

You're so ignorant of the world around you that you had never even heard of MS-13 till you read this? You are so clueless that you don't even know they aren't Mexicans? And you want to protect others, who you are no doubt just as ignorant of as well?

So, basically, you're just ignorant.

Who's the dumbfuck who negs me after misunderstanding my post. I was not defending MS-13. I don't even know who they are. I was reacting to racist generalizations being made in response to the story, by conservatives on this board. That is all. learn to read dumbass.

I negged you for using foul language in an uncalled for way. Learn to read yourself, twit.

Thank you. I was railing against exactly the kind of ignorant and xenophobic mentality you have just displayed. Do you have anything to back up your claim that "a large percentage of illegal immigrants are drug smugglers and gang members?" What does that even mean. It sounds like you just want to hate on all immigrants, which is EXACTLY what I was protesting, and is why I wrote what I did. They are people with just as much validity as you and me, and many just want to lead an honest life without economic pain. Like many of those in bad situations, they turn to crime, just as many american citizens do. I am just saying that xenophobic conservatives will use any ammo they can get to hate on someone different than them, and this is exactly what I was arguing against. I would never defend the actions of those who murdered somebody. I am not an idiot.

According to the LAPD 60% of their gang population is made up of illegal aliens. If you weren't such a brainless political hack you could quite easily find out this information for yourself.

Here in Carson City, the capital of my state the percentage is around 50%. Mainly involved in the meth trade.

"Police commanders may not want to discuss, much less respond to, the illegal-alien crisis, but its magnitude for law enforcement is startling. Some examples:

• In Los Angeles, 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide (which total 1,200 to 1,500) target illegal aliens. Up to two-thirds of all fugitive felony warrants (17,000) are for illegal aliens.

• A confidential California Department of Justice study reported in 1995 that 60 percent of the 20,000-strong 18th Street Gang in southern California is illegal; police officers say the proportion is actually much greater. The bloody gang collaborates with the Mexican Mafia, the dominant force in California prisons, on complex drug-distribution schemes, extortion, and drive-by assassinations, and commits an assault or robbery every day in L.A. County. The gang has grown dramatically over the last two decades by recruiting recently arrived youngsters, most of them illegal, from Central America and Mexico.

• The leadership of the Columbia Lil’ Cycos gang, which uses murder and racketeering to control the drug market around L.A.’s MacArthur Park, was about 60 percent illegal in 2002, says former assistant U.S. attorney Luis Li. Francisco Martinez, a Mexican Mafia member and an illegal alien, controlled the gang from prison, while serving time for felonious reentry following deportation."

The Illegal-Alien Crime Wave by Heather Mac Donald, City Journal Winter 2004

Police commanders may not want to discuss, much less respond to, the illegal-alien crisis, but its magnitude for law enforcement is startling. Some examples:

• In Los Angeles, 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide (which total 1,200 to 1,500) target illegal aliens. Up to two-thirds of all fugitive felony warrants (17,000) are for illegal aliens.

• A confidential California Department of Justice study reported in 1995 that 60 percent of the 20,000-strong 18th Street Gang in southern California is illegal; police officers say the proportion is actually much greater. The bloody gang collaborates with the Mexican Mafia, the dominant force in California prisons, on complex drug-distribution schemes, extortion, and drive-by assassinations, and commits an assault or robbery every day in L.A. County. The gang has grown dramatically over the last two decades by recruiting recently arrived youngsters, most of them illegal, from Central America and Mexico.

• The leadership of the Columbia Lil’ Cycos gang, which uses murder and racketeering to control the drug market around L.A.’s MacArthur Park, was about 60 percent illegal in 2002, says former assistant U.S. attorney Luis Li. Francisco Martinez, a Mexican Mafia member and an illegal alien, controlled the gang from prison, while serving time for felonious reentry following deportation.
I'm not saying the majority of illegals are gang members, but they do constitute a significant percentage of gang membership. I haven't found any stats on percentage of illegals involved in gangs and criminal activity, but I submit that 100% of illegals are criminals.
No sir! I don't hate on immigrants. My own grandparents came here from Germany. They did it LEGALLY. They got reputable jobs. They learned English. They didn't pray on citizens like cockroaches. They raised 4 sons that never joined gangs nor ran afoul of the law.

The kicker:
They are people with just as much validity as you and me...

No! they are not "valid" in any way. They are here ILLEGALLY. That invalidates their presence. I was born here, and I assume you were as well. We have a right to be here. They don't

You're so ignorant of the world around you that you had never even heard of MS-13 till you read this? You are so clueless that you don't even know they aren't Mexicans? And you want to protect others, who you are no doubt just as ignorant of as well?

I'm ignorant because I don't know everything you do? You don't know everything I do. Big deal. Don't be an asshole.

I'm ignorant because I don't know everything you do? You don't know everything I do. Big deal. Don't be an asshole.

So, pointing out your supreme ignorance, brands me an asshole? Good to know. Based on your posts I would be willing to bet that there is very little you know that I don't. On the other hand, I would likewise be willing to bet that there is a great deal I know that you have no clue of.

That is based on the fact that I am no doubt considerably older then you and much better educated. Were you a clever boy you would thank someone like me for pointing out your ignorance and providing you with a means to relieve your ignorance.

But no, you choose instead to call me an asshole. When you've grown up you can come back and play with the adults.

So, pointing out your supreme ignorance, brands me an asshole? Good to know. Based on your posts I would be willing to bet that there is very little you know that I don't. On the other hand, I would likewise be willing to bet that there is a great deal I know that you have no clue of.

That is based on the fact that I am no doubt considerably older then you and much better educated. Were you a clever boy you would thank someone like me for pointing out your ignorance and providing you with a means to relieve your ignorance.

But no, you choose instead to call me an asshole. When you've grown up you can come back and play with the adults.

Presuming that you are a conservative, I would say you vastly over-estimate yourself in proclaiming your knowledge base... I'm joking, but seriously, You're arrogance astounds me, that because I did not know who MS-13, you can somehow judge my intelligence relative to your own. I feel like I am on the elementary school playground right now, fighting with a bully. This is a typical conservative mindset, one characterized by pathological immaturity, as you have amply exemplified through your words.

Haha... now you say I should OWE you something for imparting knowledge onto me, without which I would have been forever lost in my depthless ignorance? HAAAAAA!!! You really are an asshole. Get off it old man, and go listen to Glenn Beck or something. No where in your deluded rants did you hint at anything altruistic, so don't claim any kind of service to me as being part of your intentions. You just wanted to put me in my place, which you didn't. Peace.

Last edited:
True Americans come in all colors shapes and sizes but they are One when it comes to protecting America!

The term "illegal alien" is not a race of people. It is a group of people from different countries who are criminals that are breaking the United States Federal Immigration Laws. Using the term ‘illegal alien’ is NOT a racist remark or a racial slur. It is a term created by the Federal Government and is used in the Federal Immigration Laws describing illegal alien foreign national law breakers.

IMO, coined by a great patriot they are “Crimigrants.”

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

When they're not killing innocent Americans they're killing each other for sport! They basically run from crime to crime on a killing spree!

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/December/11-crm-1574.html

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Friday, December 2, 2011

Five San Francisco MS-13 Members Sentenced to Life in Prison

WASHINGTON – Five San Francisco-area members of the La Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) gang were sentenced yesterday to life in prison, announced Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division and U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag of the Northern District of California.

Marvin Carcamo, aka “Cyco,” 31; Angel Guevara, aka “Peloncito,” 30; Moris Flores, 22; Jonathan Cruz-Ramirez, 22; and Erick Lopez, aka “Spooky,” 23, were sentenced by U.S. District Judge William Alsup in the Northern District of California.

The five defendants were convicted by a jury on Aug. 30, 2011, after a five-month trial. According to the evidence presented at trial, MS-13 is a transnational gang principally composed of individuals of Salvadoran descent that originated in Los Angeles and eventually spread throughout the United States and the world.

MS-13 is organized into local chapters, known as “cliques.” The San Francisco clique — called the “20th Street clique” or simply “20th Street,” after the location it claimed as its home base — has existed since the early 1990s. Since its founding, 20th Street’s principle purpose was to attack and kill rival gang members, including members of the various Norteño and Sureño gangs in the Bay Area of California, as well as individuals who cooperated with law enforcement or defied the gang’s will.

According to the evidence presented at trial, Carcamo and Guevara were MS-13 members since the early 2000s. By 2007, they ascended to the leadership of 20th Street and pushed a new “program,” presented by gang leaders in Los Angeles and El Salvador, that increased violence against rivals and extorted “tax” payments from criminals.

Carcamo and Guevara directed members of 20th Street to threaten micaros — individuals who sold counterfeit identification cards, known as “micas” — who operated in 20th Street’s territory in the Mission District. In addition, Carcamo and Guevara extended their ambitions by trying to take over the taxation of drug dealers in parts of the Tenderloin District, territory traditionally claimed by the 11th Street Sureñogang. 20th Street’s expansion attempt prompted complaints from the 11th Street Sureños, to which Carcamo and Guevara responded with threats of violence.

According to evidence at trial, by December 2007, Carcamo was arrested for robbery and Guevara was arrested for stabbing three individuals. Flores took over the leadership of the 20th Street clique and, guided by Carcamo and Guevara from jail, continued to pursue the violent new program. As a result, members of 20th Street became particularly violent in 2008.

Among other acts of violence, during the early morning of March 30, 2008, Lopez shot and killed Ernad Joldic and Philip Ng in the vicinity of Persia and Athens Street in the mistaken belief that the victims were Norteño gang members. On May 31, 2008, because of micaro resistance to paying the tax that MS-13 demanded, Cruz-Ramirez shot and killed micaro leader Juan Rodriguez as Rodriguez sat in a car in the vicinity of Laura and Huron Streets.

On July 11, 2008, following a fight the day before between members of 20th Street and micaros, Cruz-Ramirez drove fellow gang member Guillermo Herrera to the vicinity of 20th and Mission Streets, where Herrera chased down micaro Armando Estrada and killed him on a busy street. During the early morning of July 31, 2008, in response to Flores’s order to retaliate for the non-fatal shooting of a 20th Street member’s family by a suspected Norteño, a group of 20th Street members pursued 14-year old Ivan Miranda and, believing he was a Norteño, stabbed him to death in the vicinity of Persia and Madrid Streets.

All five defendants were convicted of racketeering (RICO) conspiracy, conspiracy to commit murder in aid of racketeering, conspiracy to commit assault with a dangerous weapon in aid of racketeering and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence. Guevara was also convicted of three counts of attempted murder in aid of racketeering and three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon in aid of racketeering for his role in trying to kill three individuals in December 2007. Cruz-Ramirez was also convicted of the racketeering murder of Armando Estrada and related firearms charges. Lopez was also convicted of the racketeering murders of Ernad Joldic and Philip Ng and related firearms charges.

Co-defendant Guillermo Herrera was also convicted in August 2011 and is scheduled to be sentenced by Judge Alsup on Dec. 8, 2011. He faces a mandatory minimum sentence of life in prison for a racketeering murder charge.

On Nov. 29, 2011, in a separate trial before Judge Alsup, a jury convicted Danilo Velasquez of multiple racketeering offenses. According to evidence presented during trial, Velasquez took over the leadership of the 20th Street clique after Moris Flores’s arrest in October 2008. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Feb. 14, 2012, before Judge Alsup and faces a maximum term of life in prison.

These cases were prosecuted by Trial Attorney Theryn Gibbons of the Organized Crime and Gang Section of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division and Assistant U.S. Attorneys Wil Frentzen, Andrew M. Scoble, David Hall and W.S. Wilson Leung of the Strike Force and Violent Crimes Section of the Northern District of California. The cases were investigated by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Homeland Security Investigations, with the assistance of the San Francisco Police Department and the Daly City Police Department.

11-1574
Criminal Division

Last edited:

The MS-13 Threat
A National Assessment
01/14/08

ms13_011008b.jpg

They perpetrate violence—from assaults to homicides, using firearms, machetes, or blunt objects—to intimidate rival gangs, law enforcement, and the general public. They often target middle and high school students for recruitment. And they form tenuous alliances...and sometimes vicious rivalries...with other criminal groups, depending on their needs at the time.
Who are they? Members of Mara Salvatrucha, better known as MS-13, who are mostly Salvadoran nationals or first generation Salvadoran-Americans, but also Hondurans, Guatemalans, Mexicans, and other Central and South American immigrants. And according to our recent national threat assessment of this growing, mobile street gang, they could be operating in your community...now or in the near future.

Based on information from our own investigations, from our state and local law enforcement partners, and from community organizations, we’ve concluded that while the threat posed by MS-13 to the U.S. as a whole is at the "medium" level, membership in parts of the country is so concentrated that we've labeled the threat level there "high."

Here are some other highlights from our threat assessment:

MS-13 operates in at least 42 states and the District of Columbia and has about 6,000-10,000 members nationwide. Currently, the threat is highest in the western and northeastern parts of the country, which coincides with elevated Salvadoran immigrant populations in those areas. In the southeast and central regions, the current threat is moderate to low, but recently, we've seen an influx of MS-13 members into the southeast, causing an increase in violent crimes there.

For More Information
- Going Global on MS-13
- MS-13 Up Close
- FBI Violent Gangs Website

MS-13 members engage in a wide range of criminal activity, including drug distribution, murder, rape, prostitution, robbery, home invasions, immigration offenses, kidnapping, carjackings/auto thefts, and vandalism. Most of these crimes, you'll notice, have one thing in common—they are exceedingly violent. And while most of the violence is directed toward other MS-13 members or rival street gangs, innocent citizens often get caught in the crossfire.

MS-13 is expanding its membership at a "moderate" rate through recruitment and migration. Some MS-13 members move to get jobs or to be near family members—currently, the southeast and the northeast are seeing the largest increases in membership. MS-13 often recruits new members by glorifying the gang lifestyle (often on the Internet, complete with pictures and videos) and by absorbing smaller gangs.

Speaking of employment, MS-13 members typically work for legitimate businesses by presenting false documentation. They primarily pick employers that don't scrutinize employment documents, especially in the construction, restaurant, delivery service, and landscaping industries.

Right now, MS-13 has no official national leadership structure. MS-13 originated in Los Angeles, but when members migrated eastward, they began forming cliques that for the most part operated independently. These cliques, though, often maintain regular contact with members in other regions to coordinate recruitment/criminal activities and to prevent conflicts. We do believe that Los Angeles gang members have an elevated status among their MS-13 counterparts across the country, a system of respect that could potentially evolve into a more organized national leadership structure.

One final word about MS-13: the FBI, through its MS-13 National Joint Task Force and field investigations, remains committed to working with our local, state, national, and international partners to disrupt and dismantle this violent gang.

Forum List

Back