Mrs McCain, Gay Activist

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
Redefining Republican

In the year since we've started the NOH8 Campaign, we've often been surprised at some of the different individuals who have approached us showing their support. Few, though, have surprised us more than Cindy McCain - the wife of Senator John McCain and mother to vocal marriage equality advocate Meghan McCain. The McCains are one of the most well-known Republican families in recent history, and for Mrs. McCain to have reached out to us to offer her support truly means a lot. Although we had worked with Meghan McCain before and were aware of her own position, we'd never really thought the cause might be something her mother would get behind. We have a huge amount of respect for both of these women for being brave enough to make it known they support equal marriage rights for all Americans.

Aligning yourself with the platform of gay marriage as a Republican still tends to be very stigmatic, but Cindy McCain wanted to participate in the campaign to show people that party doesn't matter - marriage equality isn't a Republican issue any more than it is a Democratic issue. It's about human rights, and everybody being treated equally in the eyes of the law that runs and protects this country.

A step forward?

WASHINGTON - In a landmark ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday struck down laws that banned corporations from using their own money to support or oppose candidates for public office.

Supreme Court rolls back campaign cash limits - Supreme Court- msnbc.com

And then a step back.. :(

I do think it is cool that Mrs. McCain is pushing for gay rights.. Her daughter is gay so it stands to reason..

Yes.. I know my article is a different issue.. I was speaking over all stepping forward and then back..

Meghan is gay? That's a new one...

Im not sure why it matters what she supports. but hey if thats what you guys want to talk about. It's not like it's the first time a McCain is wrong.

Redefining Republican

In the year since we've started the NOH8 Campaign, we've often been surprised at some of the different individuals who have approached us showing their support. Few, though, have surprised us more than Cindy McCain - the wife of Senator John McCain and mother to vocal marriage equality advocate Meghan McCain. The McCains are one of the most well-known Republican families in recent history, and for Mrs. McCain to have reached out to us to offer her support truly means a lot. Although we had worked with Meghan McCain before and were aware of her own position, we'd never really thought the cause might be something her mother would get behind. We have a huge amount of respect for both of these women for being brave enough to make it known they support equal marriage rights for all Americans.

Aligning yourself with the platform of gay marriage as a Republican still tends to be very stigmatic, but Cindy McCain wanted to participate in the campaign to show people that party doesn't matter - marriage equality isn't a Republican issue any more than it is a Democratic issue. It's about human rights, and everybody being treated equally in the eyes of the law that runs and protects this country.

A step forward?

Thats par for the corse from progressive republicans like McCain's family. Ever hear of the Cheney family ;)?

Im not sure why it matters what she supports. but hey if thats what you guys want to talk about. It's not like it's the first time a McCain is wrong.

I wonder if Majikmyst is confusing the McCain's with the Cheney's??

By the way, John McCain was accused of progressivism by Glenn Beck.

The RINO hunts have already begun!!

Oh, yeah, because McCain was so popular with conservatives before this. :eusa_hand:

It's a free country. she can support whatever she wants. Doesn't affect me or mine, and probably not anyone I know.

I'm still a bit confused as to why I'm supposed to care what Cindy McCain thinks about anything. Man's my senior Senator, and I still wouldn't even recognize his wife if she ran into me on the street. I don't even much care what HE thinks, let alone her.

Redefining Republican

A step forward?

Thats par for the corse from progressive republicans like McCain's family. Ever hear of the Cheney family ;)?

You don't have to be black to believe in the fight for equal opportunity.

Mary Cheney, when asked about prejudice against gays, said she has never experienced it.
When asked why her father supported an agenda that was so rabidly anti gay, she said he was not a one issue politician.

Mary Cheney may be gay, but she has never lived and experienced what other gays have. She has no imagination. No empathy. No heart. She is a true blood Republican through and through.

What are you talking about? McCains positions have been fairly obvious since the 2000 primaries.

Mary Cheney, when asked about prejudice against gays, said she has never experienced it.
When asked why her father supported an agenda that was so rabidly anti gay, she said he was not a one issue politician.

Mary Cheney may be gay, but she has never lived and experienced what other gays have. She has no imagination. No empathy. No heart. She is a true blood Republican through and through.

I was unaware that blacks are the only ones who wanted equality. Silly me.

As for Mary, you could simply be mistaken about how prevelant the prejudice actually is. I mean I know you think that the first thing I do when I meet someone is ask them deep personal questions about their intimate life and beat them senseless if they are gay. But really, I dont think it's as common as you seem to think it is.

I just read on the KOLD News 13 website out of Arizona that J.D. Hayworth is indeed going to challenge McCain in the Republican primary. Anyone else read or hear about that? Please say it's true. McCain needs to be put out to pasture. He hasn't learned a thing from his smashing defeat. Coservatives are not going to come out in force to vote for a poser.

I was unaware that blacks are the only ones who wanted equality. Silly me.

As for Mary, you could simply be mistaken about how prevelant the prejudice actually is. I mean I know you think that the first thing I do when I meet someone is ask them deep personal questions about their intimate life and beat them senseless if they are gay. But really, I dont think it's as common as you seem to think it is.

Come on, tell the truth. If you had the opportunity you know you would........

I just read on the KOLD News 13 website out of Arizona that J.D. Hayworth is indeed going to challenge McCain in the Republican primary. Anyone else read or hear about that? Please say it's true. McCain needs to be put out to pasture. He hasn't learned a thing from his smashing defeat. Coservatives are not going to come out in force to vote for a poser.

I've heard rumors going around for a bit, and it looks like the AP has a story saying he is. Lord knows, I'd love to have someone seriously challenge that ass, instead of the usual non-entity placeholders.

Yes.. My bad. Cheney's daughter is gay.. Thanks!! :redface:

What are you talking about? McCains positions have been fairly obvious since the 2000 primaries.

Actually, McCain is suppose to be a moderate.

But his aggressive stances on Iraq and his tendency to support far right economics ideas turn me off. If you are a moderate, be a moderate. Sometimes it is better to confront bth left and right at the same time than to choose one side to play with.

Also--the amnesty idea is totally off base in my book. Yet, I think there is a great idealistic solution in relating immigration/taxes/free trade among the North American/Carribean nations. Because if we do not do something about this soon, we could actually see even more industries leave our country to other neighboring nations while getting sand bagged by the poorest of the region without jobs to provide them. WAIT-I just turned this post into a political one.

You being unclear on the concept is not as suprising as you calling Cindy McCain, gay.

LOL
Redefining Republican

A step forward?
clue: a gay activist is an activist who is gay.

Forum List

Back