Mr. Show

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Okay, I didn't know where else to post this, but since it is a DVD, I figured I'd put it here.

Mr. Show is a very bizarre, very hilarious sketch comedy show that aired on HBO a few years back. Written by and starring two of the funniest people in comedy, David Cross and Bob Odenkirk, the show ran for four years before HBO canned it for more enlightening fare like "Taxicab Confessions".

However, about a year ago, the first two seasons were released on DVD, and last month, the third season was released. While I know it means nothing to anyone on here, I can honestly say that this is probably the funniest TV show I've ever seen. The sense of humor is very satirical and I have found that none of my friends "got" it at all. When I tried to show it to them, they just sat there, I literally had to explain why most of it was funny. However, if you're willing to put a little thought into your comedy, this is very very very very hilarious stuff.

Obviously, because it aired on HBO, Mr. Show was allowed to get away with lots of stuff that wouldn't air on a regular TV show, so be warned that there are a lot of F-bombs (although, nothing nearly as bad as, say, The Sopranos), and the satirical nature of the show means that it very well may offend you. For example, there is one sketch titled "Swear to God" in which a TV evangelist gives a sermon littered with foul language ("Ladies and gentlemen, I have a question, and I know you have it too. What is up Satan's ass? He just wants to fuck us up, the dicklicker!"). Yeah, it's sort of offensive, but it's really funny, and funny beats out mean.

Anyway, it's not a movie, but I'll give it four stars out of four.

It was on between '96 and 2000, I think, it's pretty old. Still funny, though.

Speaking of HBO, have you watched Carnivale yet? I saw a commercial for it, looked pretty freaky, lots of midgets for you!

Forum List

Back