Mr. P Crashed

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
My puter crashed...I'm on a ole one..takes time to get everythhing back up to speed...

I was on windows xp..home...anyone know what the error "can't write to file
C:/$mft." means? that's what I was getting.. Thought it may have been a bug
but it wasn't, so I defagged..that killed me..I can't even boot in safe mode..

Any ideas?

Mr. P said:
My puter crashed...I'm on a ole one..takes time to get everythhing back up to speed...

I was on windows xp..home...anyone know what the error "can't write to file
C:/$mft." means? that's what I was getting.. Thought it may have been a bug
but it wasn't, so I defagged..that killed me..I can't even boot in safe mode..

Any ideas?

You have some major malware intrusion....you need to purchase a complete system restore CD.....! good luck! :eek2:

Mr. P said:
I don't know that I can even do that, I can't even get a full boot-up.
And I have tons of stuff I need to recover first. :cry:

Attach the drive you need the data off of onto the computer your using now as a second drive. Copy data from it that you need, then put it back where it belongs and reformat and reinstall the OS.

jimnyc said:
Attach the drive you need the data off of onto the computer your using now as a second drive. Copy data from it that you need, then put it back where it belongs and reformat and reinstall the OS.
That may work...this puter is win98 the dead one is win.xp do you think that'll work? Or does the OS even matter? It may be worth a try...

Mr. P said:
That may work...this puter is win98 the dead one is win.xp do you think that'll work? Or does the OS even matter? It may be worth a try...

It doesn't matter if the secondary drive is Win95/98/2000/XP... The drive will show up under my computer and you should hopefully be able to copy your data elsewhere. Don't forget jumper settings! master/slave

Reminders:
1- bookmarks
2- cookies
3- desktop files/folders
4- .doc, .xls, .ppt - data files
5- Downloaded programs & data
6- Programs will obviously need to be reinstalled

jimnyc said:
It doesn't matter if the secondary drive is Win95/98/2000/XP... The drive will show up under my computer and you should hopefully be able to copy your data elsewhere. Don't forget jumper settings! master/slave

Reminders:
1- bookmarks
2- cookies
3- desktop files/folders
4- .doc, .xls, .ppt - data files
5- Downloaded programs & data
6- Programs will obviously need to be reinstalled
I'll let ya know...one thing I forgot, the dead puter is a laptop, this one is
a desktop, I've worked on many desktops but never a lap..
are the HD even compatable? :dunno: I was also thinking about some sort of
direct connect, I think I remember something called firewire..Do you know anything about that?

Forum List

Back