Mr. Obama and his “Teachable Moments”

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by American Horse, Jul 25, 2009.

1. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    As suggested by his large number of press conferences since taking office it appears we are going to see a lot of Obama. And yet, his press conferences are the most controlled ever; only one question deviated from the topic of healthcare; none about Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, N. Korea, as if nothing is happening in those areas of interest. The problematic question was from Lynn Sweet, of the Chicago, Sun Times, which he save for last. She said if he had called her earlier she had planned to ask a healthcare question too.

At these we get a chance to see what he really thinks when he “goes off the cuff” like when asked about the arrest of Professor Gates. He also made an imprudent comment about Doctors opting for surgery when less profitable treatments are available. (Obama: he "may look at the reimbursement system, and say to himself 'you know what? I make a lot more money taking this kid's tonsils out.' ")

Apparently Obama believes he is good in such situations showing him at his most charismatic self. This also appeals to his “true believers.” But they likely occupy less than about 20 percent of the public who right now would fall under the label of “Liberal.” What about the rest of the public, the 38 percent who are “Conservatives” and the 39 percent who style themselves as Moderates? Are they as vulnerable to his silver tongued charms?

Some larger percentage will find his comments on any number of subjects as “pedagogic.” As a one time College Professor, and more recently one whose experience might be called “indoctrination” aimed to a like minded audience as a community organizer, he is going to wear thin and get into trouble with listeners capable of being "critical thinkers."

He could take some advice from Eric Hoffer, who said in his little book on human nature The Passionate State of Mind:

To spell out the obvious, is to sometimes call it in question

He’s sure to create more little flaps as he speaks in events, telling us what he really thinks. I don't think he can help himself, so what the public can’t get with the help of the MSM it will get from Obama himself.

2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Only THIRTY EIGHT PERCENT (38%) of DEMOCRATS identify themselves as Liberal. To sit there saying Liberals in general are easily fooled is BULLSHIT.

Obama's not even a Liberal unless you adhere to the very narrow definition by the right. And yes, I know he was the most Liberal senator supposedly in the senate but since the election he has moved PROGRESSIVELY TO THE CENTER because he got what he wanted from true Liberals, their vote. He continues many of the same policies that GWB did, and holds several positions himself that are not Liberal.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  3. American Horse

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    I made no comment about Democrats. Neither did I state that is he is a Liberal. Here is the back-up to the C-M-L ratios: CNSNews.com - Conservatives Now Outnumber Liberals Almost Two to One in America, According to Washington Post Poll

To your point, I was simply implying that only some of those in that group might be true believers, while not very likely the Conservatives nor the Moderates. I never hear self avowed liberals on panels on TV being anything less than unflaggingly supportive of Obama.

4. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I was merely pointing that his major supporters are Democrats, and the majority of them aren't even Liberals. I've seen that poll, I posted a similar poll that showed the results I was speaking of.

That's the problem right there, you rarely see REAL Liberals are on TV. You see Democrats.

Bill Maher explains it better:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5kIWbrZTF0&feature=related]YouTube - New Rules with Bill Maher - July 3 2009[/ame]

5. American Horse

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    I'll give you this: Maher does a good job of drawing the lines. :clap2:
    It's interesting that Dennis Kucinich gets more face time on FNC than anyplace else besides the House's 5-minute opening speeches, and he gets as much respect there too.

6. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Dennis Kucinich had probably the best speech at the DNC Convention back in 2008, and yet this is the audience he got for it. He's treated like a buffoon by those who don't want his ideas debated in an intelligent manner.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv0smG7ptcM]YouTube - Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) Speaks to the DNC[/ame]

I wish we had more politicians who were that lively. I rather see speeches like that than ones that are just read in monotone voices, and tightly scripted.

7. American Horse

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    I like Dennis; the reason is he tells you exactly what he really believes. Another favorite Liberal for me is Peter Beinart. People like him would change the common view of Liberals. But you know what? He's too reasonable. He can actually discuss issues on an intellectual level, with no talking points, so that he comes across as his own man.
    Peter Beinart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I agree, this is the kind of things I agree with:

This is the kind of Liberal I try to be. Though I also find myself commonly also finding ground with Libertarians in some sense. Though it's as I like to say, it's the Democrats giving Liberals a bad name.

Just like how Republicans today give Fiscal Conservatives a bad name. I think Eisenhower would be rolling in his grave if he's seen the last couple Republican Presidents spending.

We need someone like JFK to run again really. However, we need not only someone who has the charisma but the intelligence to engage the American public in actually changing things for the better.

A Liberal Definition by JFK

9. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,934
    He moved to the center? The Center of what??????

He handed 2 car companies to the Union, spent more money that any human in recorded history, dosent care that the FED handed out $9 TRILLION to who know who, and now wants to kill people with his new "Healthcare" System.

What the fuck are you talking about?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. American Horse

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Read...And JFK doesn't sound like the liberals of today. But, too, you realize it was the Kennedy Administration (Justice Dept) which kept files on so many public figures including MLK. Kennedy made a whale of a lot of mistakes in foreign policy; he was not the equal of Eisenhower or Nixon in foreign affairs. In the Economy he and Nixon were on a par, and Nixon, if a conservatie at all, was no conservative to compare with Reagan, for example.