Mr. New President please don't forget.

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
In Section 60, death remains too fresh to be separated from life.

You see it in the 17 cigars pushed into the grass near one headstone, signs that a combat unit stopped by.

And in the mother who spent winter afternoons wrapped in a sleeping bag, stretched across her son's grave.

And in the older man who reads Robert Frost to the dead, knowing that their families live thousands of miles away.

New Graves, Fresh Grief - washingtonpost.com

28vigil-2-600.jpg

It won't be long before we all will have a new president, and I just wanted to take a moment for all those brave young men and women who put themselves in harms way each and very second of the day for us all, to let them know that no matter who wins there are those that will never forget the sacrifices they have made for us. If these young people can make the ultimate sacrifice for us all, it is not a lot to ask that the people that represent us do so in the same honorable fashion that these young people have and that we all make a small effort be it just in a word to honor them and their families in the comming years to leave this place a better one than we found it.

Our troops should never be sent in harm's way unless there is a COMPELLING NATIONAL INTEREST.

Please, no more bullshit wars.

As I said before Navy, very beautiful post and thank you for posting it with the rest of us.

In Section 60, death remains too fresh to be separated from life.

You see it in the 17 cigars pushed into the grass near one headstone, signs that a combat unit stopped by.

And in the mother who spent winter afternoons wrapped in a sleeping bag, stretched across her son's grave.

And in the older man who reads Robert Frost to the dead, knowing that their families live thousands of miles away.

New Graves, Fresh Grief - washingtonpost.com

28vigil-2-600.jpg

It won't be long before we all will have a new president, and I just wanted to take a moment for all those brave young men and women who put themselves in harms way each and very second of the day for us all, to let them know that no matter who wins there are those that will never forget the sacrifices they have made for us. If these young people can make the ultimate sacrifice for us all, it is not a lot to ask that the people that represent us do so in the same honorable fashion that these young people have and that we all make a small effort be it just in a word to honor them and their families in the comming years to leave this place a better one than we found it.

very touching. God bless their souls.

As the daughter and a sister of men who served in wars, I salute all those who have served our great country. Many died for the freedoms we enjoy, and others are here to remind us of the sacrifices they made for us.

Thank you Navy1960 for your beautiful words.

NOW SLEEP

Peace has come.

Now you can truly sleep my son.

The muddy field where you were laid

Flag-draped, will now be green.

Redbud and cherry blossoms can be seen

Soon in bloom above your head.

Arlington's Eternal Flame

Flickers across granite rows

To illuminate your name;

And then beneath it (with lightning's calm)

Strikes in black the word

Esther B. Campbell Gates who's son is buried at Arlington. I will say this NO person who has ever fought for his or her country in ANY WAR is ever forgotten nor is bullshit unless we forget them. I for one and my children will never forget what has been given so much for me. I am going to give a link to one of my favorite poems as I cannot copy it , it's about a gold star mother. It really is worth reading.

Docs Gold Star Mothers Page

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. - Jesus

COUPEVILLE, Wash. — After they received the hard news of their daughter’s death in Iraq in December 2006, Mike and Re McClung cloaked themselves in solitude, declining requests for interviews.

But then, Re McClung says, “we had a visitation.”

From a dream, a sense, an energy, a voice, Re heard her dead daughter clearly tell the couple to break their silence.

“She said, ‘Mom, there’s something you want to say; you better take your sound bite,”’ Re McClung says of the experience.

They were not surprised. Maj. Megan Malia Leilani McClung stood a mere 5 feet 4 inches and weighed only 125 pounds, but her spirit was a giant and had been since childhood.

When they reached out and began to hear back, the McClungs learned that as a woman and a Marine, their daughter had touched more people in more ways than they could fathom.

Wanting to learn more, “we told people, don’t send us flowers, tell us her story,” Mike McClung says.

Eighteen months after McClung, 34, was killed by a bomb that blew up her up-armored Humvee, responses arrive every day.

Many are e-mails from strangers, like one from the veteran Marine sergeant major who wept for her. Others are almost surreal. Six people, some complete strangers, named newborn daughters Megan, promising one day to tell their girls about their namesake. Drawings from schoolchildren, quilts, photos and messages from people who met their daughter only briefly yet came away feeling valued, arrive out of the blue. Privates and generals weigh in, as do the famous and the unknown.

“She’s become,” her mom says, “bigger than life, as if her energy and spirit are in people now.”

Long before her daughter began the first of her several tours in Iraq, before she became the highest-ranking female military officer and first female Naval Academy graduate to die in Iraq, Re McClung felt something different about this conflict.

Image:0000mmmcclung-photo-01.jpg

This war is not a war of numbers or one you see in the movies, it's real, and these were real people who had a sense of purpose and dedication greater than themselves. They deserve ALL the honor and respect that can be accorded them. IMHO a country that is divided over petty issues such as , your party is better than mine, does nothing to honor these young people. They have set an example of supreme purpose and left so many broken hearts behind, however those hearts will mend and we can, all of us give them a gift of a nation that shows that the sacrifices they made for us were worth everything they believed in. So my feeling is a president need not look far for the kind of example he needs to lead this nation honorably, nor do we.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
megan_mcclung01sm.jpg

Sorry about that, I meant to put a picture in that last post. This is Maj. Meghan McClung

I agree Navy. A beautiful post, indeed.

I do have to agree with Chis, though.
No more bullshit wars.

I would like to add to that quote .... "No more bullshit wars and/or aid to countries that could give a shit less about the United States, unless it benefits them!" Who is it they call all on when in need? U.S. - as in America. I think it's time our government start's thinking about "us" and not about "them"!

Forum List

Back