Mr Marbles: You're Going to Love This!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Annie, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Go ahead, call us Cowboys! At the outset, I think the article has a lot of merit, the one thing I would perhaps mention is that most of us are 'born' to our systems and love our country. There are 'many Americans' that just haven't arrived here yet and I'm sure the same with Canada.

This is a rather long essay, it's a registered site and I'm unsure of how that will work for our Canadian friends. I think what I'll do, is print some quotes. If you want the whole article, email me, do not pm, it's too long and I'll send it to you.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005369

2. MrMarbles

MrMarbles Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    One thing for sure, to would like to be called a cowboy too, i'm getting tired of lumberjack.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Cowboys Rule!

Seriously, I think the point about 'frontier' is interesting and would think Canadians share some of our POV regarding it?

4. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44

I think it's a good assessment. I've travelled to the US a lot. American have stronger opinions, passions and have a stronger sense of individuality than your Northern neighbours. People are more outgoing and more open. They are much more willing to try new things in every sense except for moral ground. There does seem to have a moral fabric that binds the country with an almost undefinined national ethos.

Canada is a laid back country for the most part. Our individual opinions are often put aside for a greater purpose of getting along (with the notable exception of soverignists in Quebec). There isn't the sense of dividedness I feel when I travel to the States. In Canada, you walk around and you see people as just regular Canadians. In the US I feel that I'm very much more divided based on my race, creed and political affinity.

It's always amazing to me how to closely related neighbours that share a common cultural heritage have diverged to the degree that we have. The difference are definte not superficial. That's not to say that's necessarily a bad thing at all.

5. Doomer

Doomer Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I prefer "Crazy Canuck" :cuckoo:

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I love your humor! :happy2: