Mr Burn and The Big UnEasy!

That idiot Spike Lee said the same thing. That the levees broke due to negligence.

Harry Shearer was great in "the Mighty Wind" but I'll pass on this one.

That idiot Spike Lee said the same thing. That the levees broke due to negligence.
No he didn't.
Oh excuse me, your right. It wasn't negligence, it was intentional racism and the Republican government was to blame. That's much better:
Spike Lee on Race, Politics and Broken Levees : NPR
The film also includes accusations of some in New Orleans that the government intentionally dynamited the levees in order to save rich white neighborhoods from flooding.
Spike Lee Interview for When the Levees Broke | The Cinema Source
Lee, who has recently appeared on TV to defend his views, puts forward the idea that the Republican Government were to blame for the levees breaking.
I stand corrected.

No he didn't.
Oh excuse me, your right. It wasn't negligence, it was intentional racism and the Republican government was to blame. That's much better:
The film also includes accusations of some in New Orleans that the government intentionally dynamited the levees in order to save rich white neighborhoods from flooding.
Lee, who has recently appeared on TV to defend his views, puts forward the idea that the Republican Government were to blame for the levees breaking.
I stand corrected.

You didn't actually watch the documentary, did you?

I also meant Mr. Burns!

I like Shearer, but I think anyone that claims the levees were dynamited is a moron.

Of course the intent is to try and claim malice, but what would be the motive of that? Unlike the flood in '27, dynamiting the levees would not spare the city and everyone knew that. The Times-Picayunne predicted exactly where the water would go with a high degree of accuracy five years before Katrina.

The truth is that the hydrostatic force on the flimsy retaining walls that surrounded the canals (the main levees held) was sufficient to breach the levees without the need from any outside force.

I also meant Mr. Burns!

I like Shearer, but I think anyone that claims the levees were dynamited is a moron.

Of course the intent is to try and claim malice, but what would be the motive of that? Unlike the flood in '27, dynamiting the levees would not spare the city and everyone knew that. The Times-Picayunne predicted exactly where the water would go with a high degree of accuracy five years before Katrina.

The truth is that the hydrostatic force on the flimsy retaining walls that surrounded the canals (the main levees held) was sufficient to breach the levees without the need from any outside force.

I doubt that happened also, but I plan on watching it.

No he didn't.
I stand corrected.
You didn't actually watch the documentary, did you?
You must have missed my original post when I said that "I'll pass on this one" right?

I thought he said they collapsed due to neglect but I must have mixed that up with stories about bridges collapsing due to neglect. Those quotes are from his interviews.

You didn't actually read the quotes did you?

You must have missed my original post when I said that "I'll pass on this one" right?

I thought he said they collapsed due to neglect but I must have mixed that up with stories about bridges collapsing due to neglect. Those quotes are from his interviews.

Lee never said a damn thing about the levees being intentionally destroyed in his documentary.

What he did do was put up a rather histrionic New Orleanian who went on some silly rant about how the levees had to be dynomited because she heard "an explosion". He then followed it with a civil engineer, also a New Orleanian and professor at Tulane, that explained how that much hydraulic force would create a sound like an explosion.

Since you obviously haven't watched the documentary, you should. It's interesting and Lee does a pretty good job with the ordeal and generally manages to avoid editorializing about the incident.

Most people acknowledge the levees collapsed due to neglect/faulty design. Lee is hardly on an island on that matter. The levees were supposed to withstand a Catagory 5 storm. When Katrina got to Slidell it was a 3 at best.

Lee never said a damn thing about the levees being intentionally destroyed in his documentary.

What he did do was put up a rather histrionic New Orleanian who went on some silly rant about how the levees had to be dynomited because she heard "an explosion". He then followed it with a civil engineer, also a New Orleanian and professor at Tulane, that explained how that much hydraulic force would create a sound like an explosion.

Since you obviously haven't watched the documentary, you should. It's interesting and Lee does a pretty good job with the ordeal and generally manages to avoid editorializing about the incident.

Most people acknowledge the levees collapsed due to neglect/faulty design. Lee is hardly on an island on that matter. The levees were supposed to withstand a Catagory 5 storm. When Katrina got to Slidell it was a 3 at best.
OK, so I'll watch it and put it in Movie Revues, how bout that? We'll discuss it there?

OK, so I'll watch it and put it in Movie Revues, how bout that? We'll discuss it there?

Fair enough.

Forum List

Back