MPAA places Christianity in same category as sex, violence, profanity

dilloduck said:
I guess we all deserve one now and then. America and Christianity have enjoyed a nice couple of centuries of coexistence. I guess the honeymoons' over.

I don't think it is just an American thing. Secularism is almost a new religion to some...

MissileMan said:
Do you or do you not believe that a parent's guidance should be involved when presenting a subject as potentially important as religion to a child?

Ferngully is a movie about how evil lumberjacks are trying to cut down a precious rainforest because they're being controlled by some evil pollution god and celebrates the destruction of a valuable technological marvel. This is something some parents may object to. Rating - G, and none of the previews ever mentioned the main plot, only portaying it as a romp through the rain forest.

Pokemon and its various movies are about people who enslave animals and force them to fight each other, causing massive pain and destruction. The animals are portrayed as not having a problem with this. Many parents might object to this. Rating - G.

All Dogs Go to Heaven portrays judicious drinking, gambling, and tobacco use...by the protagonists. Rating - G.

Fantasia portrays a rather intense portrayal of Hell and damnation set to a classical score. Rating - G.

Mulan heavily covers such themes as warfare and repressed female roles in society. Rating - G.

The animated versions of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit contain violence and horror. Rating - G.

I'm sure that there's several more, but as you can see, objectionable content does not equate to a higher rating.

Also, to whoever made the crack about 'Allah' being an instant 'R' rating. Stop projecting your own faults onto us. I, at least, don't typically jerk knees.

Hobbit said:
Ferngully is a movie about how evil lumberjacks are trying to cut down a precious rainforest because they're being controlled by some evil pollution god and celebrates the destruction of a valuable technological marvel. This is something some parents may object to. Rating - G, and none of the previews ever mentioned the main plot, only portaying it as a romp through the rain forest.

Pokemon and its various movies are about people who enslave animals and force them to fight each other, causing massive pain and destruction. The animals are portrayed as not having a problem with this. Many parents might object to this. Rating - G.

All Dogs Go to Heaven portrays judicious drinking, gambling, and tobacco use...by the protagonists. Rating - G.

Fantasia portrays a rather intense portrayal of Hell and damnation set to a classical score. Rating - G.

Mulan heavily covers such themes as warfare and repressed female roles in society. Rating - G.

The animated versions of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit contain violence and horror. Rating - G.

I'm sure that there's several more, but as you can see, objectionable content does not equate to a higher rating.

Also, to whoever made the crack about 'Allah' being an instant 'R' rating. Stop projecting your own faults onto us. I, at least, don't typically jerk knees.

That doesn't really answer my question does it?

MissileMan said:
Do you or do you not believe that a parent's guidance should be involved when presenting a subject as potentially important as religion to a child?

In a movie? Give me a break. She knows what we believe, and why we believe. Will Schindler's list have a warning about Jewish themes?

acludem said:
A movie with any remotely gay theme gets an automatic R rating usually. All a PG rating is a flag to parents so that they can screen the movie first. If you are Jewish, you may not want your very young children to see a movie that directly promotes a different religion. But then, it's usually evangelical Christians who whine about movies that promote other religions. If the coach had said, "follow Allah" these same folks would be crying for an "R" rating.

acludem
? Will and Grace were on how many years? It went far beyond remotely gay, yet still kept an 8 pm time slot. You are just way wrong here.

Hobbit said:
How obtuse. You must be a lawyer.

Listen up Fucknut! I asked a question about whether parents should be involved in how religion is presented to their children and you break out a list of cartoons. Are you unable to separate fantasy from reality?

You're pissing and moaning because you're a Christian and the movie was Christian-themed, so you see no problem. If however the movie in question were a 2-hour long attempt to indoctrinate young, impressionable kids in the tenets of Islam, you'd not only call for a PG rating, but for it to be removed from theaters.

Not all religiously themed movies warrant a PG rating, it depends on the intent of the movie.

Schindler's List was rated "R" because of violence. That's my other problem with the MPAA, graphically violent movies are frequently given only "PG" or "PG-13" ratings, but show one tit or say "fuck" once and they slap you with an automatic "R". Personally, I hate the MPAA and think the rating system is a bunch of shit. I don't think the movie discussed in the original post here probably needed a "PG" rating. I can, in a way, understand the MPAA reasoning, and frankly, I don't know the makers of the film are so upset, a PG rating doesn't keep anyone out of the movie.

acludem

MissileMan said:
Listen up Fucknut! I asked a question about whether parents should be involved in how religion is presented to their children and you break out a list of cartoons. Are you unable to separate fantasy from reality?

You're pissing and moaning because you're a Christian and the movie was Christian-themed, so you see no problem. If however the movie in question were a 2-hour long attempt to indoctrinate young, impressionable kids in the tenets of Islam, you'd not only call for a PG rating, but for it to be removed from theaters.

Not all religiously themed movies warrant a PG rating, it depends on the intent of the movie.

Yeah, it does, and my point is that lots of movies have lots of different points, many of them being indoctrination of some sort, and parents may have an issue with it, but that doesn't mean some MPAA jackass needs to get his panties all in a bundle over it. I mean, how dangerous is Christianity over radical environmentalism, violence, cartoony cock fighting, and several other things I mentioned that Christianity and Christianity alone deserves an automatic bump in rating.

You just wanted to redirect by claiming I had, in no way, answered your question. If it was intentional, you're a jackass. If it was unintentional, then you're a moron.

Hobbit said:
Yeah, it does, and my point is that lots of movies have lots of different points, many of them being indoctrination of some sort, and parents may have an issue with it, but that doesn't mean some MPAA jackass needs to get his panties all in a bundle over it. I mean, how dangerous is Christianity over radical environmentalism, violence, cartoony cock fighting, and several other things I mentioned that Christianity and Christianity alone deserves an automatic bump in rating.

You just wanted to redirect by claiming I had, in no way, answered your question. If it was intentional, you're a jackass. If it was unintentional, then you're a moron.

I asked a question of another member which you then quoted in your post and then didn't answer, and still haven't. If you weren't/aren't going to answer the question, why respond to and quote it?

MissileMan said:
I asked a question of another member which you then quoted in your post and then didn't answer, and still haven't. If you weren't/aren't going to answer the question, why respond to and quote it?

I did answer your question. Either you refuse to admit it, or are too stupid to see the answer. Either way, it means you're not worth talking to anymore.

Dr Grump said:
Actually the radical Christian right do not tolerate....

Just curious.... who is the "radical Christian right"? I can't say that I know of any "radical christians" - which is kind of pathetic.... maybe if this country had Christians who acted like Christians we'd all be better off....

MissileMan said:
You notice I didn't mention any particular religion right? But to clarify my question, would you or anyone else on this board for that matter, be comfortable with letting your 8-year-old watch Michael Moore's "Introduction to Islam" without :

a) Your permission?
b) Your knowledge?
c) Your assistance in seeing through the BS?

I think you're setting up quite a strawman. Having a coach speak frankly in one scene about his religious beliefs (as in the original post) is not a two-hour indoctrination. But, to answer your question, my daughter is old enough to understand the differences between our beliefs and those of others, and knows how to question unorthodox teachings. My son, when he gets old enough, will know the same. So if such a movie ever came out, I doubt they'd want to go in the first place, but I'd be confident enough in my kid's discernment, and my ability to speak about religion, to allow them to watch.

-Cp said:
Just curious.... who is the "radical Christian right"? I can't say that I know of any "radical christians" - which is kind of pathetic.... maybe if this country had Christians who acted like Christians we'd all be better off....

Dont' you just love it when all christians get lumped into the same group and mindset as that of the 4 or so people that have bombed abortion clinics??

Bonnie said:
Dont' you just love it when all christians get lumped into the same group and mindset as that of the or so 4 people that have bombed abortion clinics??

So what's wrong w/ an abortion clinic getting bombed? :)

Too bad they can't blow up the entire city of SF - would help purge the liberals - many of whom before they get the chance to breed! :p

Forum List

Back