Moxilla anti-virus virus

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Surfing the web I just had a Mozilla Anti-virus virus try to lock on my computer, had to go to Task Manager to end the program. Ran Avast, Malwarebytes and CCleaner, nothing found, looks like the firewall kept it out.

tm_las_vegas-lockedout.jpg

Surfing the web I just had a Mozilla Anti-virus virus try to lock on my computer, had to go to Task Manager to end the program. Ran Avast, Malwarebytes and CCleaner, nothing found, looks like the firewall kept it out.

Now you quit surfing them thar Internets Ringel05. :eusa_drool:

I've noticed that Stumbleupon isn't doing a very good job of vetting the sites they stumble one onto.

At least once or twice a week I stumble upon some site that sets off my antiviral program.

Firefox does not launch some types of files that are downloaded into the cache, which prevents most viruses from propagating to your computer. For a virus to spread to your computer, it must be launched by opening or double-clicking on the file. Unless you have launched the file from inside your Firefox cache, you probably did not get infected with a virus. It is unlikely that Firefox has opened files of a suspicious type.

Additionally, anti-virus scanners may incorrectly identify cached files to have a pattern matching a virus. To anti-virus scanners, some files that are otherwise harmless may be mistaken for viruses.

Firefox does not launch some types of files that are downloaded into the cache, which prevents most viruses from propagating to your computer. For a virus to spread to your computer, it must be launched by opening or double-clicking on the file. Unless you have launched the file from inside your Firefox cache, you probably did not get infected with a virus. It is unlikely that Firefox has opened files of a suspicious type.

Additionally, anti-virus scanners may incorrectly identify cached files to have a pattern matching a virus. To anti-virus scanners, some files that are otherwise harmless may be mistaken for viruses.

I just talked with a co-worker, it had gotten into his daughters computer, yes she disabled the firewall. I took him 4 hours to find where it was hidden in the root files and eradicate it by deleting those files. Apparently it attaches itself to the dump files in the registry and once there won't let you do anything outside of safe mode. I've hit on it three other times since just doing routine searches on sites WOT labeled as safe.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back